Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2003 6:49:12 AM EDT

Surely somebody posted about him, being that he's the biggest thing since Elvis. I must've missed it......Anyway, what do you guys think about him?? Good? Bad? Annoying?

I like him- he tells it like it is and doesn't sugar-coat
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe he's the modern-day equivalent of Hank Williams Jr's early days.

Slightly different because Hank Jr. grew up well off, but has the same f-you irreverence.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't listen to his music a lot but I find it funny in general. Most of his "fans" don't even realize that he's making fun of THEM! Whatever, he's more than made it in his world.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I like him. He did good with the scam and isn't afraid to tell people what a scam it is.

His early videos of flame contests are pretty good. He can ad lib major rhymes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Why does he always look like he just got bitch-slapped...?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Biggest since Elvis?

Uhhhh....talk about wishful thinking. [rolleyes]

Let m&m make 50 movies and 100 albums before you at least start making comparisons with Elvis.

m&m will be gone in a year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought his music was cool in the first couple of albums

After the movie I decided that Id had enough of Eminem, and that he had really gone too far.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't like his music but I do think that he is incredibly talented.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Simply more trash talking crap. I don't waste my time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I find him entertaining. I think once he loses his raunchy edge and matures as a performer, you will see ALOT more of him. He will be mainstream for the next thirty years.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#11]
talented my ass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I listen him everyone in a while, but the mainstreamers radio and TV stations don't like him one bit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://www.uterinefury.com/eneman.html[/url]

[img]http://stores.safeshopper.com/10/00/13/70/62/images/x1d8j5e.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
[Homer]Mmmmmmmm  White Chocolate[/Homer]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Eminem / Enema

Same thing

ED
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Another immature moron with bad music/storytelling (if that's what you call it).
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Another immature moron with bad music/storytelling (if that's what you call it).
View Quote

Yeah really, I mean talking about taking advantage of oppertunity to better your life, parents being held responsible for their children, and taking care of your own kids.  That's all a bunch of immature garbage that we don't need to hear.

Now his early stuff, who knows WTF he was smoking when he came up with it.

I agree with Lightfighter, Eminem has matured a lot and his music is showing it.  His latest stuff actually has some positive messages in it.  Of course if you are ignorant to his music and just running your mouth based on what others told you, then try to get a clue first.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah really, I mean talking about taking advantage of oppertunity to better your life, parents being held responsible for their children, and taking care of your own kids.  That's all a bunch of immature garbage that we don't need to hear.

View Quote

Pat Boone has been saying this for years too, just not in song![:D]  He's just more convincing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#20]
He's the white boy equivalent of Spike Lee. Even his own mom says that he was a Poindexter before he became "Grandmaster Bud"[lol]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#21]
He makes a great laxative.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Well being a teenager a lot of his music I can semi-relate too and most of it I just find too damn funny to stop listening to it. He points out all of the hypocrisy in our nation. I have every album of his, even his first album "Infinite" and you can see the progression in his lyrics.

I saw one person who said "He will be gone in the next year." You must not realize he's been around since 1999-2000 and has been mainstream since then. Like a few others have said his lyrics have matured and have really developed into thoughtful lyrics instead of just stuff to make you double take like "WTF did he just say?"

Now also I want someone to name a better crossover artist, he went from making records with no acting experience to the big screen. I honestly didn't like the idea of Eminem being in a movie, I figured it would just be a cheesy story of his life, but I like the twists in it and it really showed that he can act.

Now if his albums continue they way they are going I will still be a fan until he is gone.

Now I see a lot of negative comments, and I'm sure more then half of these people that are making these comments have not even listened to his albums, they just see others talking crap about him and do the same much like the antis do when they look at our "Evil Black Rifles" that have no use in civilians hand besides murdering people.

Now you may think there is no use for this music blah blah blah but Freedom of speech is also guaranteed by The Constitution like the 'Right to bear arms', it's great that he can speak his mind, exercising his rights,  and be heard by millions.

Go Eminem!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He's the white boy equivalent of Spike Lee. Even his own mom says that he was a Poindexter before he became "Grandmaster Bud"[lol]
View Quote

I agree with your assessment.  Spike Lee is a pretentious ass-clown too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#24]
He's a shit bag.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't like his music but I do think that he is incredibly talented.
View Quote

Im about the same way I dont like him, but hes betterthem alot of rappers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I like him. I'm listening to him right now.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#27]
His movie sucked more than jenna jameson being paid overtime.  Seriously, it was nothing more than him trying to glorify himself as a lone white boy from the trailor park who broke into the urban black hip hop scene.  I give him credit for the earlier work he did with the High and Mighty, but now hes being a dick to all of them.  He was crap when he started and he still is.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#28]
It's utterly amazing at what the lemmings call "music" now...boggles the mind. I bet he does'nt even know a music scale.

Music..usually recquires knowledge of musical notes.

Art maybe...perverted as it may seem. Eventually people grow tired of berating and lude lyrics. I don't hear the Marilyn Manson zombies chirping anymore...about his "musical genious".

M&m is an opportunist, who leeches off the negative emotions of teenagers in pain...nothing new. It's been done before, and surely will be repeated. When do the baggy pants go out? About the same time people get tired of hearing x-rated lyrics I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
talented my ass.
View Quote

I hear ya...

What a joke...

The female 'throng' that listen to his crap amaze me considering what he [s]c[/s]raps about doing to women, let alone his own mother.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#30]
He is a whiney ass piss bitch... He wouldn't even let Weird Al do a parody video of one of his songs because "it was too personal". Give me a freaking break.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#31]
He is nothing but a scumbag, who should be a guest of the Michigan State Penitentiary.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's utterly amazing at what the lemmings call "music" now...boggles the mind. I bet he does'nt even know a music scale.
View Quote

All the old farts of every generation say the same thing. It's been said about Mozart, Beethoven, Elvis, The Beatles, Metallica, et al.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#33]
He's got a gift, to bad he used to promote such hatred and bitterness.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All the old farts of every generation say the same thing. It's been said about Mozart, Beethoven, Elvis, The Beatles, Metallica, et al.
View Quote

Use your head Sniper wolfe...everyone one of those you named were pretty much [b]First[/b] at their musical style. Emphasis on [b]music[/b]. Samplers and driving bass lines can be done by anyone...lyrics? Watch MTV for about an hour, you can write hundreds of them.

Enema is Vanilla Ice with raunchy lyrics...he looks like a punk, he acts like a punk and noone could ever imagine him fathering a child. Genious? How bout advertising coup...gives all the white teen boys license to act like hoodlums from South Central L.A. And make a loser a hero...voila', Coup de tent'!

If this trend continues...I could grab a coffee can, whack it with my pecker, pr on MTV, make penile tunes. Should be big in a few years...especially if I wear baggy pants and dye my hair color. [rolleyes]

As much as I hate the Seattle punks music (Cobain) that came out in the early 90's...it was distinctly different and actually [b]musically[/b] diverse. They broke the barrier with a [b]new[/b] music style. Their music is still being played today.

If you like or adore someone's music...great, more power to you. Just don't go overboard and put him in the same light as the forementioned musicians who's music is timeless and groundbreaking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]
[img]http://www.rossetta.com/niceguy.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#39]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#40]
One thing I am surprised has not been mentioned yet...

Dr. Dre made enema...His name is written over every damn song you hear. Dre has been doing it for 20 years....

Hell, he could even turn McUzi into a rap star...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.rossetta.com/niceguy.jpg[/url]
View Quote

The scary part about this is,...its REAL!![shock]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I look at him as a salesman if anything other than an entertainer.  His appearance, image, and lyrical content is product.  He develops and packages a product that is popular enough to get radio play yet has a core audience that identifies with what he writes.  Look at the army of wannabes that look and dress like him.  I think he has the "I'm all messed up because I was raised by a drugged-out single parent" demographic nailed.  It's ironic that a part of his product is anti-hype, anti-establishment, anti-music industry/ MTV derived, yet they are the ones who fill his pocketbooks.  As long as you keep that in perspective, you're ok.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Pat Boone has been saying this for years too, just not in song![:D]  He's just more convincing.
View Quote

Unfortunately, he HAS said things "in song" far too often. From his early covers of songs such as "Tootie Fruity" to his more recent heavy metal effort, the man has proven himself to be a complete tool.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.rossetta.com/niceguy.jpg[/url]
View Quote

ROFLMAO![:D]  Forgot about that time in his life!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Listen to the song "White America" and you will realize why Eminem has always been in the spotlight. I love Eminem, EladEflow introduced me to Slim Shady and ever since I have been a big follower of his music. Eminem tells is straight up with out the horse shit to cover it up. I don't care what all these critics say about his music being so offensive. If you know anything you will know that in the 1950's Elvis was almost banned from the Mainsteam market 'cause he "shook his hips too much" I guess people who write all these rules about censorship and all that bullshit havent read in the United States Constitution the part about freedom of speech.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd say he's done a great job for himself...

However, I still can't stand to listen to his work...

It's not music, it's a performance...

Music requires that you actually sing, and either play instruments or have someone play them for you (no, a beat box is not an instrument)...

Rappers do not sing, they either (a) talk, or (b) yell, and 'accompaniment' is usually a beat-box...

A/O any previous bands/composers who were ripped on by the 'previous generation...

Metallica, Beethoven, Elvis, Van Halen, Mozart... All actually performed and/or wrote music. The notes may be different, but they were there. They may change the beat, but there's something more to the performance than beat... And as much as the Elvis fans complain about modern rock, both Elvis and Roth (or whoever it is today) could sing...

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All the old farts of every generation say the same thing.........
View Quote

Hmmmm 28 and I'm an old fart already?  Whatever.  He's still a shit bag!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Music requires that you actually sing, and either play instruments or have someone play them for you (no, a beat box is not an instrument)...

View Quote

Actually it is music. By definition;

The art of arranging sounds in time, Vocal or instrumental sounds having some degree of rhythm.

I would say that is music, by definition.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top