Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 11:59:52 PM EDT
I am gonna get a safe because I feel that it is a good thing to do, plus it will give me an excuse to fill it.

I am considering the following models:

Franklin Series($1199)
[url]http://www.libertysafes.com/safe_Franklin.lasso[/url]

Lincoln Series($1449)
[url]
http://www.libertysafes.com/safe_Lincoln.lasso
[/url]

I am looking to get the Size 25(26 CU) safe. The differences between the two models that I can tell are:

1.)Price->$250 difference based off their online price.
2.)Weight->680lbs vs. 800lbs.
3.)Handle->brass vs. polished brass.
4.)Fire Rating->45min vs. 60min.
5.)Bolted Sides->3 sides vs. 4 sides.
6.)Bolts-> 11 bolts vs. 13 bolts.
7.)Steel Thickness-> 11 gauge vs. 10 gauge
8.)Total Body Thickness-> 1 3/8'' vs. 2''

Basically I am wondering if it is worth it to spend 250 more on the better of the two safes. I can't buy the safe tomarrow anyways so its not like a tomarrow or 2 weeks thing.

Just wondering what you all thought. Anyone have either of these safes?

Oz
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you get a lot more for only USD 250.

Go for the higher model.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
And also, do you reccomend sticking with the dial combo or upgrading to a digital combo thingy?

Oz
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And also, do you reccomend sticking with the dial combo or upgrading to a digital combo thingy?

Oz
View Quote

I've noticed on this board it seems to be about 50/50.

No doubt one can open a digit faster than conventional, but there's the issue of the batteries and EMP ( Electro Magnetic pulse ).  

Well, I would be more concerned about the batt failing than EMP.  But as long as you replace the batts on a timely schedule there shouldn't be a prob.

Some here can even open their digital combo safe in darkness, a feat which is practically impossible with conventional dials.

I also think the combo is more bulletproof because it contains zero circuitry and is strictly mechanical.  

I stuck with a combo dial.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I was talking with my dad about that very thing.

What if tshtf type thing happens and batteries are hard to come by, once you run out, you have a 800 pound paperweight. Didn't think of the EMP. That would suck having all of your stuff stuck in there.

Oz
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was talking with my dad about that very thing.

What if tshtf type thing happens and batteries are hard to come by, once you run out, you have a 800 pound paperweight. Didn't think of the EMP. That would suck having all of your stuff stuck in there.

Oz
View Quote

After TSHTF a lot of those people plan on calling the safecracker dude to crack their safe open if their circuitry is knocked out.  BUt they will have to wait in line because he will sure be busy as hell.  In that case, keeping a couple guns hidden elsewhere in your dwelling would be good until safe dude shows up.

While I can't verify an EMP attack will knock out digit keypads, I sure know my dial is impervious to EMP!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey if you have time check this digit/combo thread out:

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=182257&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
 I'd recommend the higher end model.  I've looked at the Franklin, they have a flat gray rough finish.  If you have it in the garage or shop it might look ok.  The Lincoln has a nice glossy finish that you can wipe off with window cleaner.

I also have to recommend trying to find a local dealer.  Even with local sales tax, you might be able to negotiate a better price with delivery and installation of the safe.  I think if you ordered it from the web site you'd have to pay freight charges.

You may be entitled to get a discount on your homeowners' insurance policy if other valuables are kept in the safe, you'd have to check with your agent.  And get one at least one size larger than you think you need, personal experience.

mm
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
check out Sam's Club... they have a Remington 30 cuft safe for about $700 last time i looked.

or, see if there's a local vendor with a deal like this-
[url]http://www.libertylock.com/server.php?page=salepg/salepg.html#top[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Both seem pretty lightweight.

My [url=http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/cannonreview.msnw]Canon model 50[/url] was only a bit more, at $2100 delivered.

Larger, and 1300 lbs of steel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the link f4yr, but its a tad big, not enough room in my place.

oz
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link f4yr, but its a tad big, not enough room in my place.

oz
View Quote

Bigger IS better!  My first safe was the Liberty Lincoln 25, the same one you are thinking about buying.  It did not take long for that safe to become too small.  I had to use a shoe horn to put my long guns in there.  My advice for gun safe buying is buy one at least twice the size you think you need, if there is anyway you can swing it.
However, the Lincoln 25 is a nice safe, just small.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]
yes but i am in an apartment and that one wont fit.

oz
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top