Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2003 8:46:32 AM EDT
I have been looking at these for a while now and have not found any good info on them or how well they work when compared to the M-26.

I have Fox labs OC for non-lethal defense but was considering other options as well.

So the questions are, Would you buy one? Why or why not? And if you would buy one then where would you buy it from?

Any input would be super.

Thanks.

Steve.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Please tell me you have a boom stick as backup.

If you are new to firearms, get a revolver.  They are reliable, simple to operate and dont have jamming problems of autoloaders.  .357 Magnum would be my choice.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Glock 17 with FML drop free Hi-Caps, Taurus PT-111, Taurus .357 Tracker, Bushy A2 Shorty and Mossburg 12 GA and of course a CCW permit, So I am covered in that area but just interested in your knowledge of the M-18.

Thanks so far for the input.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, sounds like you got the last lines of defense covered.

Arent those air tazers the ones that Ionize the air betwee you and your target and uses that to "complete the circuit" so to speak?  They seem pretty nifty, but I think you should spend your $$$ on combat handgun courses.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is some of the info I have read so far on it from most websites.

The new Advanced Taser M-18 series has almost 100% effectiveness rating. It combines the injury reducing benefits of traditional stun technology with a quantum leap in stopping power via new Electro-Muscular Disruption (EMD) technology. In police studies, the new Advanced Taser has a higher instant incapacitation rate than a 9mm hand gun. The Advanced Taser shoots out 2 darts attached to 15 feet of wire. 50,000 volts travels over the wires and over-rides the central nervous system providing incredible takedown power.

EMD WEAPONS: EMD weapons use a more powerful 18 to 26 Watt electrical signal to completely override the central nervous system and directly control the skeletal muscles. This EMD effect causes an uncontrollable contraction of the muscle tissue, allowing the M-Series to physically debilitate a target regardless of pain tolerance or mental focus. The ADVANCED TASER M-Series are EMD weapons -- specifically designed to stop even the most elite, aggressive, focused combatants. Rather than simply interfering with communication between the brain and muscles, the ADVANCED TASER EMD systems directly tell the muscles what to do: contract until the target is in the fetal position on the ground. The ADVANCED TASER provides for maximum safety for both the officer and the subject by bringing dangerous situations quickly under control before force escalates to lethal levels.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an M26 taser. I think the M18 is 18 watts, compared to 26, and the tazer cartridges are shorter, maybe 15 feet or so.
The M26 has a 21 foot cartridge.

I dunno about the 18, but the 26 is extremely effective, and the only failures I have seen were due to bad aiming and thick clothing.

The new x26, is gonna be my baby, 60% smaller than the m26, uses the same cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
So, anyone have a website for the EMD version and cost?
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Taser.com has some good info  but still could not find enough on the M-18.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been zapped with an M26 and was extremely impressed. We are getting some soon. I don't know how much difference the voltage reduction and shorter range will make with the M18, but the fundamental concept and technology are sound.

It still isn't like setting a phaser to "stun," though, and no less-lethal or non-lethal technology is effective enough at this time to be employed solo, if there are any other options.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
M18 is dated technology. Forthe latest look here:

www.taserx26.com

You can get civilian legal 15 foot cartridges for this model also.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
M18 is dated technology. Forthe latest look here:

www.taserx26.com

You can get civilian legal 15 foot cartridges for this model also.
View Quote

Correct me if I am wrong but even though it might be dated technology, Last I checked it was the only current choice as the M-26 and X-26 have more watts and are not open to civilian use even with the legal 15 foot cartridges.

(Since at this point in time I am not LEO) I am only interested in what non-lethal items I may legally own so if there is better model then the M-18 for me please let me know.

Thanks for the input so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top