Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 5:15:24 AM EDT
I am about to start my own webstore dealing in certified diamonds,rare gems and fine Swiss and German timepieces.  I've been in the industry for quit some time and would like to have my own website. Webdesigners vary in price tremendously and I was wondering if any of you have been thru this and if so, tips would certainly be appreciated.
Gemologist[x]BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
What really matter is, are you going to be selling from your website or is your website purly informational.  

If your website is just information then you could get a high school kid to make it for you and save some bucks, but if your taking credit cards and shipping and taking items out of inventory then you will need a much more robust solution.

I have messed around with a few eshop type programs that you just plug your pictures and desriptions in and it does the rest but I don't trust them.  Find a legit web developer if you are selling expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet would be to use a Yahoo store.  That way all the development is done and all you need to do is put your products up there.

For you to have a developer build you and secure online store you are looking at thousands of dollars just to get started and thousands of dollars to maintain it.  

Of course you could hire someone cheap who will leave all sorts of security holes open, resulting in many fraudulant orders and someone hacking in and stealling all your customers info and credit card numbers.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Gem,

I've done a few web sites.  I could set you up cheaply.  Contact me offline if interested.

Of course you could hire someone cheap who will leave all sorts of security holes open, resulting in many fraudulant orders and someone hacking in and stealling all your customers info and credit card numbers.
View Quote

You wouldn't be speaking of your own work there, would you? [;D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Crappybob-
Yes I'll be selling these items off the site and need a true professional job.  I am aware of the costs to get this done and willing to invest properly.  In dealing with this kind of merchandise a professional site is a must.  People seem more impressed with someone that has taken the time and effort to show stability and confidence in their product and character. Thanks for your response.
Any more comments from you fellow members would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Gemologist[x]BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Marvl

I will e-mail you later today, and thank you for your willingness to help!
Johnphin
Same as above..thanks!
Gemologist[x]BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gem,

I've done a few web sites.  I could set you up cheaply.  Contact me offline if interested.

View Quote

View Quote

For real. Not everyone is either incompetent or eletist. I've been known to do some of these sites myself as well. I take offence at such comments. Anything I can do to help, just let me know...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I've done a few. Since you want an eCommerce site, you need a store based on a shopping-cart type system. The main web can consist of a standard website that links into the shopping cart. It's important that the cart offers secure checkout for the financial part of the transaction. The shopping cart, BTW, is typically commercial software running with an database application. They are typically configured by the user and can be highly or minimally customized. There are some decent open source (free!) shopping carts on the market but they do have some drawbacks.

Artwork may or may not be done by your web developer. Depends on what you want and who you're working with.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks eveyone..
I will touch base with each of you individually as the time draws near.
Again..thank you all.
Gemologist[x]BLOAT
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#10]
No offense meant to SWIRE, but to me Yahoo stores scream "...I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to actually spend any money expanding my business, because I don't plan to be doing this for very long."  IOW, I don't trust Yahoo retailers.

Take my $0.02 for what it's worth, Gemologist...but if you want to expand into e-business, don't do it half-assed.  If you do, it will only hurt your reputation in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#11]
The reference to nationalutilites.com that I gave you doesn't seem to work, Gemologist.

(I guess that's what he gets for letting his previous designer continue to run his web server...)

At any rate, we run the servers for the other two pages, so they should be working A-OK!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Post your web address here when you get finished. We'll critquie it for you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, but I took over a website where this was the case.  The guy had an amature design his website.  Sure it had a secure page to collect the credit card information...but then it emailed all that information to the owner in plain text!!!

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No offense meant to SWIRE, but to me Yahoo stores scream "...I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to actually spend any money expanding my business, because I don't plan to be doing this for very long."  IOW, I don't trust Yahoo retailers.
View Quote

Check out [url]http://www.diamonddelight.net/[/url] and tell me if this screams I'm a cheap bastard using a Yahoo store.  There's a lot that can be done with Yahoo stores.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Check out [url]http://www.diamonddelight.net/[/url] and tell me if this screams I'm a cheap bastard using a Yahoo store.  There's a lot that can be done with Yahoo stores.
View Quote

Geez dude, lighten up.  Do you by any chance work for Yahoo?  I didn't mean to offend you, in fact I stated that in my original post.

But most of the Yahoo stores I've seen have the same look.  And yes, they do (did?) scream "...I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to actually spend any money expanding my business, because I don't plan to be doing this for very long."

Edit:
BTW, I went to the site you posted.  Did you make it?  Nice site.  I like it.

And here's a link for you to respond to: [url]news.com.com/2100-1017-957781.html?tag=rn][/url]

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Look here,
[url]http://www.quantumlake.com/[/url]

He's pro-gun, I know him well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]jtcentral.home.mchsi.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top