Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2003 9:55:18 AM EDT
All the movie/book talk got me thinking.  I was watching 'Aliens' the other day, still one of my all time favorites.  Now 'Alien' is probably THE greatest SciFi-horror flick ever.  But 'Aliens' is still my favorite because it kept to the spirit of the original, but added my favorite movie element, 'firepower.'  You got to admit it, the Colonial Marines and their gear were just damn cool!

Well then along comes Alien3 and just destroys the entire storyline of the first 2 movies.  First off, they give no plausible explanation for the presence of new aliens onboard the Sulaco.  If you read the book, there's a weak explanation about the queen laying an egg or two during her brief stink onboard the ship, but that theory still stinks.  Then they kill off Hicks (my favorite character from the series) and Newt in the crash!  So not only does this make the entire storyline of 'Aliens' pointless (they get through all that shit, and die in a crash!) but it ruins the potential for their reappearance in any future sequels.  Of course they had to finish it all off, by killing Ripley.

What probably pisses me off the most, was that several years before 'Alien3' was released, there was a great comic book series from Dark Horse Comics (yeah, I was a bit of a geek) based on the aftermath of 'Aliens.'  It was based on the idea that the aliens are rediscovered and later smuggled back to Earth.  Newt is all grown up, and Hicks is physically and emotionally scarred from the original alien encounter, but must train a new squad to battle the aliens.  

Well of course the aliens do their thing (with the help of the Corporation's meddling).  It gets out of control, the aliens escape and quickly spread, pretty much creating the ideal SHTF scenario for us tinfoil-hat wearing types.  Gov't/Corp types starts rounding up 'contaminated' folks and shooting them on spot, things finally get too hot to handle, so the important folks start getting the heck off the planet to do a little tactical nuking, etc...  Pretty cool.

So when they wrote that piece of trash 'Alien3,' they had a potentially great storyline that they could have used as a basis for the movie.  Not only did they not use that storyline, they killed everyone off, thus ruining the future of the Alien story.

Alien Resurrection, I won't even comment on that.  It was just bizarre.  But at least it has some firepower, took place in a big ship, and the story line was LOOSELY connected with the Dark Horse comic book line.

Anyway, that's the sequel that will forever piss me off the most, until they make "HEAT 2: Hotter than Hell," or "BlackHawkDown II: The Revenge" staring Chuck Norris...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Any of the follow ons to Highlander.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree that Alien 3 is a stinking pile of crap.
Resurrection is OK but pales greatly in comparison to 1 and 2.
I have the DVD boxed set, and watch 1,2, and 4 a few times a year.3 I havent seen since I saw in on the big screen way back when.

sci-fi freak,
echo6
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Highlander 2 sucked raw ass eggs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Queen of the Damned was a sequel, I think,
That has to be the worst movie ever made!! Alyiha (sp?) was smokin hot though.

Back to the Future 3 sucked in my opinion.

Uh what else...

cant think of anything.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.

The TV show was awesome, though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The Empire Strikes Back.  What a shitty sequel.  Too dark, no cute n' cuddly carachters for comic relief like the Ewoks or Jar-Jar Binks.  And it ends on a bummer note.  Worst sequel ever.
Just kidding.  I think it's funny so many people already mentioned what I think is the worst sequel ever, Highlander 2.  They completely changed everything.  Instead of being old warriors from the past with immortality, they're actually aliens from another planet?  WTF?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Any of the First Blood, Rambo sequels. Even though I hate Stallone, I liked the first movie, the rest was pure crap.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
matrix-reloaded.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Any of the Revenge of the Nerds sequels.
RoboCop sequels

Both were good R-rated movies that they made into franchises for the PG crowd.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
-The Godfather III

-Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry met Lloyd
No, I haven't seen this movie yet but I'll tell you one thing...........if you can't get the original Harry and Lloyd back then you don't make a sequel to this movie.  Bunch of dumb shits.[pound]

-All the Diehard sequels.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
-The Godfather III
View Quote

Here I'd gone and made a special effort to forget that POS, and you come along and remind me again!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Alien 3
Highlander 2
Iron Eagles 2
Superman 3
Batman 3
Karate Kid 3
Star Wars the Phantom Menace
Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock
Lethal Weapon 2
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome!

ARH
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Worst sequel?  The Two Towers.

Alien and Alien were different genres.  Both are great in their respective areas, though.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Predator 2 wasn't that bad!

Trek sequels:  the odd numbered ones and the Next Generation ones really bit it big time for me.

Aliens 1+2 rocked, but 3 and 4 were riding the franchise.  TV show writer Steve Perry wrote the novels based on the movie series, and he used new characters.  In one story there was a general who planned to use a queen and her offspring to fight off other hives.  He conditioned the queen from birth with a cigar lighter so it would fear him, and was able to train it's offspring to use pulse rifles!  Perfect killing machines with guns sounded like a good idea.  When the lighter fails to light, the SHTF!  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#19]
All the Police Academy sequels!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Taboo IV
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought Alien 3 was OK,actually the more I watch it the more I think its OK.

The acting was good,the suspense was pretty good,just not much actual "alien action" at least till the end.(specially after all the killer action in Alien's).

What I didn't like was its kinda dark,gloomy feel(kinda like the batman movie,if you know what I mean)I hate that in a movie.

I actually thought the prospect of the queen laying a couplea surprise eggs was pretty plausable(given the drive to survive of the aliens),I just can't figure out how they hid themselves on sonme obscure wall.[:)]

I also don't understand how those creepy little egg layer/face suckers could break threw the glass.

Anyhow,(as you can see I'm a fan)Alien's has gotta be one of the best action flicks ever.It never bores me.

Alien,for my money,is the best horror flick of all time.Again I can watch this one anytime.

Alien 4 was just a steaming pile shit.

I'll watch it just because I'm a fan of the franchise,but they could have done so much better.

The underwater scene,the lab part with all the Ripley experiments was cool,but that movie was just so cheesy.That last "albino alien POS" was just so corn ball,just the whole syory line and some of the acting was just crap for me.

I do like the idea of a super Ripley though[naughty]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Scream 2
Jurassic Park 2/3 (man that was bad)
Rocky V
Starwars Episode 1 Phantom Menace (too kidsy, redeemed itself with Episode 2)
Childs play sequels
Aliens 3: how dull, and poor little Newt.  lol  (the rest were ok), wonder what 5 will be like.
Look whos talking too (no comment)
Big Top Peewee
The fly 2
karate kid 3/4? (the one with the chick)

I'm not a fan of sequels that lose everything that made them what they were the first time but only made for money such as..

No Vin Diesel in 2Fast2Furious
Terminator 3: doesnt have backing of original creators because the script sucked
Speed 2
Blair Witch 2! trash
Robocop 2
American Pie 2
The last two Police academies

Last but not least
The Land Before Time 2/3
[@:D]

Ok I'm done, for now!

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#23]
"Girls who take it up the @ss" III - VII.  But they came back strong on volumes VIII - XIV, and took it to the hole.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
TV show writer Steve Perry wrote the novels based on the movie series, and he used new characters.  In one story there was a general who planned to use a queen and her offspring to fight off other hives.  He conditioned the queen from birth with a cigar lighter so it would fear him, and was able to train it's offspring to use pulse rifles!  Perfect killing machines with guns sounded like a good idea.  When the lighter fails to light, the SHTF!  
View Quote

I don't know who Steve Perry is, but from what you're saying his book is a complete rip-off of the DH comic book series written by Mark Verheiden.  This was the focus of the 2nd series of DH Aliens comics.  Basically the same plot, crazy general conditions Queen by flamethrowering her 'kids'.  Except in this story no pulse rifle training for the aliens...  When they finally get to earth, the aliens eat him pretty quickly, and they go off to join their buddies.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Ditto on Highlander sequels.  That was probably the best damn TV series ever, though.  Adrian Paul is impressive with weapons and martial arts.  

Return of the Living Dead sequels.  The original was great camp with good special effects. I took it as a tribute to the Romero and Fulci movies.  The ones that came after sucked so bad I couldn't watch, and I am a die hard zombie fan.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I know that I am setting myself up here as I have had several arguments about this in the past....But I really like Alien3 ...I may even go so far as to say it is my favorite....

Yes I know there are a few plot holes...I think that after Aliens people were expecting the 3rd installment to follow the same ass-kicking Colonial Marine story line , but it is a completely different knid of movie that I think has more in common with the original ....It is dark and moody , the humans are pretty much defenseless , David Fincher kicks ass....I could go on , but it is futile cause no one ever agrees...

t
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Go on I'd like to here that side of the argument[:)].

I liked it OK.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#28]
MK-Ultra,

I'll say this much, if 'Alien3' was a stand-alone film, I would say it was a decent horror flick.  But IMHO it isn't much of a sci-fi film.  I agree that is does follow a similar formula as the original, and I liked the dark and gloomy mood.  I also think that the defenseless human storyline CAN be good, but sometimes it gets a bit tiresome.  In this case, 'Alien3' came off as a weaker copy of the original.  

I strongly believe that they should have gone the route of putting the aliens on earth, because that storyline would have been completely different from both of the preceding movies.

So as a fan of the 'Alien' series (in particular 'Aliens') I absolutely HATE the movie primarily because of the killing off of ALL of the previous characters.  I don't necessarily think it is a horrible movie, I just think that what they did to the series was horrible.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
matrix-reloaded.
View Quote

Ditto!!! I want my money back.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Ditto on anything after Aliens and any of the Highlander sequels.  I liked Lethal Weapon II more than I but the rest sucked ass.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, after I saw Matrix 2 I wanted my wallet reloaded with the 15 bucks we spent on tickets.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#32]
[i]U.S. Marshals[/i] (sequel to [i]The Fugitive[/i].)  Lame, lame, lame.  I want them to make a sequel just so the Marshals can chase someone who is actually [b]guilty[/b] of something!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#33]
RAMBO.The first one was soo good and they screwed it up with the other two.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#34]
The Matrix Reloaded.  They took a great movie and concept and flushed it down the toilet for a few cheap stunts.

This is a classic review of the Matrix Reloaded here (scroll down a couple of paragraphs):
[url]http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/03/0503/052703.html[/url]

Short version of the review - [i]Attention, Wachowski Brothers: put down the bong and step away from the script.[/i]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I can't believe no one has stated the obvious most awful sequel ever made:

Speed II

I rest my case.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
What in the hell was wrong with highlander 3 and 4?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Actually a lot of the aliens producers didnt like 3 or 4 either.

Theres talk of "Rebooting" the franchise and writing of 3 and 4 as either bad dreams or some sort of psychological testing. They really want to do an aliens Vs Predator lick too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one has stated the obvious most awful sequel ever made:

Speed II

I rest my case.

Merlin
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Come'on guys! The worst HAD to be CADDYSHACK 2!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Dirty Harry was such an awesome flick that the sequels had to suck by comparison.

Magnum Force (sequel #1) was tolerable, but the ones that followed just plain sucked.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Actually a lot of the aliens producers didnt like 3 or 4 either.

Theres talk of "Rebooting" the franchise and writing of 3 and 4 as either bad dreams or some sort of psychological testing. They really want to do an aliens Vs Predator lick too.
View Quote

Sounds great to me.  Not sure how they could pull that off, but I wouldn't complain one bit if they erased A3 and 4 from the storyline.

As far as A vs. P, I've heard rumors about that.  That would be very cool.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Apparently Michael Biehn didn't think much of Aliens 3, because the reason they killed off his character was that he bowed out of the movie after he read the script.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I know that I am setting myself up here as I have had several arguments about this in the past....But I really like Alien3 ...I may even go so far as to say it is my favorite....

Yes I know there are a few plot holes...I think that after Aliens people were expecting the 3rd installment to follow the same ass-kicking Colonial Marine story line , but it is a completely different knid of movie that I think has more in common with the original ....It is dark and moody , the humans are pretty much defenseless , David Fincher kicks ass....I could go on , but it is futile cause no one ever agrees...

t
View Quote

Dude, I know smoking crack seems great now, but in all seriousness GET HELP!  It leads to insane opinions like thinking Aliens 3 is better than Aliens.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Highlander 2... it's the only movie that I have ever  walked out on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#45]
The phantom mencace really sucked.  Especially with jar jar binks and that little kid acting as anakin.  Way too kidsy, and the acting sucked.  Not to mention the cheesy looking computer animations aliens.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Highlander - they're aliens now? And sean connery's character was sent back at the same time as maccloud, but he still managed to be around on earth 1000 or more years before maccloud? And maccloud was raised from birth, but he was sent to earth as a full grown adult? Hell, why call it highlander 2? How about 'guys with swords cutting heads off in an environmental wacko dream story'???

Rambo- First was good. Others were just excuses for stallone to run around in a wife beater blowing crap up.

Leathal weapon - First had a good story. All others just became exercises in feelgood PC story lines. Yeah, let's shoot some 'teflon coated' bullets through a bulldozer. That will happen.

Any sequal to a comedy that originally came out in the 80's. Police academy. Porky's. Caddyshack. Ghostbusters. Take somewhat orignal, enjoyable comedy, remove everything that made them special, tell the same jokes in different way, and add a new character or two. Boring as hell.

Any batman sequals after michael keaton left. What a dumb move for him and the series. Then tim burton leaves. And they just make crap. George clooney as batman? I really don't think so.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Hah, now that is funny.  Reading the title to the thread I was fully intending to come in here and rail about Alien3 after Aliens (one of my personal top 5 movies).

You pretty much nailed all my complaints.  They didn't even have the right sound for the pulse rifle near the end, WTF was that about?  My main complaint with Resurrection was the lameass weaponry, there is no need to try to come with stuff other than the M41A for the Colonial marines, no other futuristic movie gun can come close.  Just tooooooo damn sweet.  I would kill for a replica built on a SBR Thompson...

I hear Alien5 is in the works with a possible outbreak on Earth.  Now that is what I have been waiting to see since Aliens, and is the place both the comics and the books took the story (for good reason damnit, great idea).  Some mass Xenomorph killing with high quality military hardware is going to ROCK.  Please make it you jackasses... [fingers crossed]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I cannot believe that NONE OF YOU mentioned the two [b]WORST[/b] movies EVER made.

1. Grease II

2. Beverly Hills Cop III

I mean stupidity to the worst degree!!!!

From Grease II the hit song "Oooooh We're going bowling tonight..."

UGH!!! Now I have to go and acid wash my ears thank you very much!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn, most of my choices have already been made, repeatedly.

Rambo 2 and on
Anything after Aliens (I agree though part 3 was ok as a stand alone but sucked as part of the series)
Highlander 2 was awful, messed up the entire story

What they need to make is Aliens vs Predator, it's already been novels & comics. There have been rumors for years about a movie but it never materialized[:(]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Alien 3 just sucked donkey balls.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top