Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2003 7:38:08 AM EDT
Hello again, and welcome to my latest question.

I am interested in making my ruger 10/22 even more accurate then it already is.  I currently have the standard model with no modifications or upgrades, and it shoots about 2" at 50 yards.  I have heard of 1/2" moa performance on these fine peices of art and expression, and I would like to do just that.  

I googled this info, but got 1,000,000,000 results, and all sorts of different options.  I want to here from you guys to see if any of you have any personal recomendations or ideas or whatever.

I would like to keep the gun somewhat light like it already is, not too much heavier if possible, and I want to be able to take spuirell eyeball shots at 50 yards.  I would like this gun to shoot perfect, and feel nice.  

Anybody else accurize their 10/22¿?¿?  [X]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the carbon fiber bull barrels would help quite a bit, and not make it any heavier.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot 2 different Ruger 10/22 straight from the box and get all 10 on a 1" shoot n see dot at 100m.
At 50m my wife can nearly put all 10 rounds ontop of each other.
But there are some nice options such as the ull barrles, custom measured stocks, free floating and they even make competition .22 ammo.
If you really want a .22 that is far more capable than the shooter go to the Tulsa Firearms website and the owner has 2 custom made competition 10/22's or look into an Anshutz
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The one modification that produces the best results is to install a Volquartsen hammer and sear.

Go to rimfirecentral.com for other tips.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
DnPRK-  thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Would'da believe there is a 10/22 forum in the ARMORY section?

Mugzilla, the forum nazi
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
You should be able to find what you are looking for right here. These people are the best.
[url]www.ontargetguns.com [/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to shoot my two Rugers in postal, and internet matches over a Rimfire Central. [url]http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php[/url] Check out the site, I got all my info for building both of my rifles there. Good group too, ask them, and they'll help you out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.lrmfirearms.com/images/435_My%20Pictures.jpg[/img]
Inside the VIDAR's .93 diameter and twenty inch barrel/suppressor assembly is its accuracy-enhancing fourteen inches of rifled barrel and six inches of internal baffle system

[url]http://www.lrmfirearms.com/pages/866787/index.htm[/url]

Get one of these to go with Volquartsen trigger group.

Then not only will you have a Tack Driver, but you will have a [b]Quiet[/b] Tack Driver.

echo6
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the carbon fiber bull barrels would help quite a bit, and not make it any heavier
View Quote

Stay away from the Butler Creek carbon fiber barrels they are crap. Green Mountain barrels are the best bang for your buck.

Go here for loads of info on modifying your 10/22.

[url]http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The carbon fiber barrel should come first.  I noticed a huge improvement even using the factory trigger with a Butler Creek barrel.

The Volquartsen trigger group and sear should come after that.  

I second Ontarget guns.  They are awesome.  I haven't gotten the trigger group for my 10/22, but I completely replaced the internals of a Mark II Government with parts from Ontarget, and it is my new vermin control weapon out to 75 yards.  I shit you not, and I use regular CCI minimags.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at choate for a replacement stock also...I love the dragunov.....
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The carbon fiber barrel should come first. I noticed a huge improvement even using the factory trigger with a Butler Creek barrel.
View Quote

Again WARNING… before you get Butler Creek carbon barrel go to Rim Fire Central and do a search for Butler Creek carbon barrel. There they are universally considered a bad barrel. Most people have had a bad experience with them. The people at Rim Fire Central know 10/22s and good barrels for 10/22s and they do not consider the Butler Creek carbon barrel a good barrel.

If you insist on carbon fiber you are going to have to spend a lot of money to get a decent one.

The first upgrades you should make are a Volquartsen hammer and a GOOD barrel. The Volquartsen hammer by itself will really help your trigger pull the sear is nice but does not help nearly as much as the hammer. A GOOD barrel will really tighten up your groups. Also look at a stock upgrade you will need one anyway if you get a heavy barrel. Body’s stocks are very good and reasonably priced.

Be aware a 10/22 can turn in to a money black hole. But they are endless fun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.lrmfirearms.com/images/435_My%20Pictures.jpg[/url]
Inside the VIDAR's .93 diameter and twenty inch barrel/suppressor assembly is its accuracy-enhancing fourteen inches of rifled barrel and six inches of internal baffle system
View Quote

Would you need any special forms for that barrel?  If not, i know what my next purchase is gonna be

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]
My 10/22 adventure cost about $650+ Hella shooter with a Lofty price!.Look for names like Adams&Bennet,Volquartsen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
=Inside the VIDAR's .93 diameter and twenty inch barrel/suppressor assembly is its accuracy-enhancing fourteen inches of rifled barrel and six inches of internal baffle system.  

Then not only will you have a Tack Driver, but you will have a [b]Quiet[/b] Tack Driver.

echo6
View Quote

Oh my god and I didn't think I needed a rimfire, that is so sweet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Power Custom Trigger (the red one)
Dakotan buffer  (Dakotans reliabilty fixes)
Volquartsen "exact edge" extractor
Power Custom firing pin (steel)
Green Mountain barrel
Boyds or comparable stock
Glass Bed the action
Pressure pad
Good mount ..rings....scope...
check out rimfire central ...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a new 10/22 for $140 at a local gunsmith's shop.  I think he buys lots of them that have minor defects (seconds of a sort).  The one I picked out looked fine and anyway I planned on replacing the stock and barrel.  I've got in mind a light or dark green synthetic stock and Green Mt. barrel with a fixed 4x or 6x scope.  Guns show next w/end should have most of what I need to look at.

With this in the works I had to pass on a nice Rem. 700PSS LTR in .308 with a Leupold VariX-III Tactical 3-10X40 with Target Knobs and  bipod for $995 on consignment at a local gun store.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top