Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2001 7:49:00 AM EDT
Here is how I see it:

The US supplied info to the Peruvians about a possible drug flight. The Peruvians got all hot and bothered. The US repeatedly asked the Peruvians to go through the ID process and if they were sure. The Peruvians were worried about the plane reaching the border before they could interdict. The Peruvians shot the missionary plane down - people died.

The American missionary pilot did not file a flight plan.

Why isn't anyone pointing a finger at the US based missionary group? Seems to me to be a typically arrogant American mindset - I am in your country and I will do it my way. In the US you can fly without a flight plan virturally anytime anywhere. It is a whole different ballgame in other places in the world.

In my opinion, the American pilot was at much at fault (if not more) as anyone else.

"When in Rome....."
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
From my understanding, the missionary pilot [i]did[/i] file a flight plan, and was in radio contact with a control tower at the time of the attack. The peruvians were just incompetent, though language barriers between the U.S. plane & the peruvians may've played a role.

Just some more "collateral damage" in the War on Americans! (who use drugs.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not mistaken, English is the official language used worldwide for AIR communications.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct Crook
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I may be stupid or missing the point but did we run out of people who need help in this country? Do we need to go to other countries to find people in need???
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The pilot is said to have filed a flight plan - I have eyeballed a copy of it on the net.  Now whether it is geniune or not is another story (sorry - just know better than to assume...)

Understand they were operating on different radio frequencies and couldn't "hook up" on the right one.

Also has been reported that the US plane tried to get the Peruvians to stand down but they fired on it anyway.

How much if any of this is true and accurate - we don't know but somebody has egg all over thier face over this and innocents died and one of those was only 7 months old.  Very sad indeed!

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, English is the official language used worldwide for AIR communications.
View Quote

Civil aviation, I believe, but I doubt military aviators worldwide use English.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By The Sniper:
The pilot is said to have filed a flight plan -

Understand they were operating on different radio frequencies and couldn't "hook up" on the right one.
[sniper]
The Sniper
View Quote

I heard they filed one too. I have also heard that they did not. Lets give them the benifit of the doubt - they filed the plan.

Now here is my point - "when in rome...." What the hell are these collective jackasses doing pointing their finger at either the US or the Peruvians? Why aren't THEY being held partially accountable by the media?

To me it is no different than when you are driving over the pass and the State Trooper stops you at the road block and advises you to chain up b/c of the conditions. Sure you can go forward without doing it - but when you crash, not only will he not have any sympathy - you get a ticket as well.

These folks should have be a bit more in tune with the 'conditions' - ie - they will shoot down your plane if they think you are smuggling drugs. Based on that knowlege, any of us would have made damm sure that everyone knew we weren't flying drugs. Even if we had to paint it, a cross and the last damm supper on the plane!

"SEE THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT HAPPENS"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top