Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2003 4:53:03 AM EDT
how necessary are practicing double taps with an M1 Garand 30-06?  i know it's usually a 1 shot stop but as far as tactical training.  would you spend a lot of time trying to do double taps or just fire once on all targets and then go back and hit any left alive again?

i know we do a lot of double and triple taps with the AR, Mozambique etc..  but with the M1 all you get is a 8 round mag and it seems a waist to just blow ammo.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Forget the double taps, just go straight to the bump firing. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
How to engage the enemy with your M1 rifle:

1. fire one round at center of mass
2. reapply as necessary
3. select next target
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Line the enemy up, preferably 4-5 enemies lined up at once.

Fire.

Repeat.

This will maximize your ammo conservation.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I know Black Hawk Down was just a movie, and some of it was created by Hollywierd magic(ie faking it) but most of it was factual. The snipers Shughart was doing double-taps with his M14, which I thought was interesting now that you brought up the subject of double-taps with the M1 Garand. But with a Garand, there ain't that many rounds to double-tap with, true.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
i noticed that on blackhawk down also.  talk about a shit situation.  that seems strange.  maybe he was trying to keep the crowd back with more fire.  did they have grenades in the blackhawk?  i don't remember them chunking any.    
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Double tapping is fine if you've only got one target to engage at a time, but it wastes precious time if you have more than one target to deal with (particularly when they can shoot back).  If you do your job properly and put the first shot into center mass, the opponent will likely be slowed enough to allow you enough time to hit other targets before returning to clean up the mess.   Most bad guys are gonna be taken out with a single hit.

Also, if you ain't moving and taking cover to screw up their shooting, you are wrong.  A person who has been hit center mass by a major caliber round from either a handgun or a rifle is not going to be doing much more than sucking wind, even if wearing body armor, accurate aiming will be clean out of the question.

An M1 is a potent rifle.  One round is gonna do it 9 times out of 10.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#9]
At one point where it looked like Shughart was double tapping, he wasn't, he hit two targets about ten feet apart with two very quick shots. The fact of the matter is that mobs tend to cluster up or buddy up from a safety in numbers theory.  You want someone close to back you up, so it is highly likely in a scenario of that sort, that your targets will come at you two or three at a time.

Plus, it's a movie, not a detail tactical reconstruction.  I wouldn't use it as a training tool.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
If I were a single person facing a large mob with a .30 cal rifle and limited ammo I don't think I would be doing any double tapping.  I doubt Shughart did either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top