Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 9:25:32 PM EDT
Since it was started by the US and Britian during the war to save energy and money should we get off of it now?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Day light savings time? What's that?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yes, it's a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We don't believe in it here in AZ. I like it better this way.
View Quote

One of the many things I miss about AZ.  Everything still works there without daylight savings time.

TS
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since it was started by the US and Britian during the war to save energy and money should we get off of it now?
View Quote

Is it still saving energy and money?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
When do I get to withdraw all those daytime hours that I have saved up???

TS
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  I can tell you that it is a pain in the ass to set a reasonable bed time for my youngest son when the sun is still out at 9:30 pm.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I was always told in school the stupid thing was started for the farmers so they had a longer day. Get rid of it! The farmers can just get up an hour earlier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Needs to die.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We don't believe in it here in AZ. I like it better this way.
View Quote

I agree.  HI doesn't do it either.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have NP with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
It sucks...every spring, my internal clock get's fucked up. 6 months later, when I am finally adjusted to it, it get's fucked up again.

Yes, I say get rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I vote to drop it.  No good reason for it today.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]
DO IT FOR THE TRAINS !!!!!!!!!

If we didnt do it here we would never see the sun in the winter(on workdays)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#16]
drop it, and go to a 24 hour clock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you mean move everything to GMT or just leave it the same and use the 24hr method for telling time?
I would like switching to GMT.
DST sucks as far as I am concerned and needs to go away.
They also need to ditch a couple time zones.
Try living in Florida and dealing with 2 time zones in the same state.
If you pass through time zones just as the switch is made to DST, do you warp through space and time? :)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I like it...an extra hour to play golf/shoot/hunt/fish after work
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Make it all daylight savings time.  I hate going back to regular time, because during the winter, the sun goes down around 4 pm!  I hate that!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes we should drop day light saving time, how about adding a poll?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Who in their right mind would want it to get darker [i][b]SOONER[/b][/i] in the Summer?

Aren't we on daylight savings time now?!?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's just go back to sundials. Dynamic time is much more fun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Make it all daylight savings time.  I hate going back to regular time, because during the winter, the sun goes down around 4 pm!  I hate that!
View Quote

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you mean move everything to GMT or just leave it the same and use the 24hr method for telling time?
I would like switching to GMT.
View Quote

Just a 24 hr clock.

going to GMT (UTC) would make things more confusing, although, it could be bennificial for national/international business.

I currently have 2 clocks at my computer. Local and UTC.  Lots of international radio broadcast times/schedules based on utc.  My clocks syc to WWVB in FtCollins, CO and have pretty good accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Which time are we on right now? This is the time that we should KEEP.  Right now, the summer time is good because it makes it light longer.  Anyone that wants it to get dark sooner is a complete fucking idiot.  Go back to Europe or wherever you came from, fucking pricks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Which time are we on right now? This is the time that we should KEEP.  Right now, the summer time is good because it makes it light longer.  Anyone that wants it to get dark sooner is a complete fucking idiot.  Go back to Europe or wherever you came from, fucking pricks.
View Quote

Now, now, I agree with the substance of what you are saying, but you don't have to throw a hissy-fit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#28]
No.

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I wish we moved the clocks seasonally, three times a year, and had "extra" daylight all year! Daylight in the morning doesn't help me get to work, but daylight in the evening is usable after work!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Drop daylight savings time. BTW, dropping time zones is a very bad idea...especially for those of us in the Central Time Zone. I like being able to watch late night TV and still wake up at a reasonable time.

The morning sun is especially important during the school year. I remember having to go to school (especially HS which started at 7:30 AM) in the dark. Alot of kids got killed because it was dark outside when they went to school. Alot of kids had trouble adjusting to the time change. It was a real PITA, especially when I had Chemistry (or a Chemistry Lab) first period.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
yes, it's a pain in the ass.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#33]
HELL  YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Set the time half way between them and leave it alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wish we moved the clocks seasonally, three times a year, and had "extra" daylight all year! Daylight in the morning doesn't help me get to work, but daylight in the evening is usable after work!
View Quote

Changing your Circadian Rhythm does some potentially serious damage to the brain and body.  People who work shift work have lowered immune systems, more psychological problems than the public as a whole.  You would want everyone to essentially four "shift changes" per year??

TS
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
HELL FUCKING YES!!!

I am so sick of running around the house setting clocks and putting up with folks showing up late/early for work or appointments.

I never could understand how anyone could think it was a good idea in the first place. The only justification I've heard for it was some crap about farmers. As if a farmer needs a clock to tell him when it is time to go to work.

If you want people to start an hour earlier/later CHANGE THE WORK SCHEDULE not the clocks!

CHRIST! Now you've got me all stirred up. I need to kick something!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Screws my bio clock up twice a year. My bio clock keeps great time otherwise.

LETS GET RID OF IT.....

Wasn't it revived during the fuel crisis by Nixon along with that beloved 55mph speed limit crap? I seem to remember it that way.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Actually I want to stay in Daylight Savings year around. I so hate coming home from work in the dark in the winter. I would even be willing to add another hour to right now. I don't mind waking up in the dark.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Actually I want to stay in Daylight Savings year around. I so hate coming home from work in the dark in the winter. I would even be willing to add another hour to right now. I don't mind waking up in the dark.
View Quote

I agree!  Alot of people can't change their work schedule.  It would give more time in the afternoon to shoot, hunt, work around the house etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It sucks...every spring, my internal clock get's fucked up. 6 months later, when I am finally adjusted to it, it get's fucked up again.

Yes, I say get rid of it.
View Quote

Ditto! Don't forget resetting every frigging clock in the house; VCRs, DVDs, microwave ovens, coffee makers, computers etc .But I don't seriously think that it will be repealed. Too many people are behind it. The liesure industry is huge USA industry, and they won't let it die without a big big fight.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#40]
We should fall back a half an hour and call it even.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ditto! Don't forget resetting every frigging clock in the house; VCRs, DVDs, microwave ovens, coffee makers, computers etc .But I don't seriously think that it will be repealed. Too many people are behind it. The liesure industry is huge USA industry, and they won't let it die without a big big fight.
View Quote

A lot of computers and PDAs and other machines have built-in DST correction.  It would cost money to patch all these machines and those that weren't patched would cause problems for years.  It'd be a mini-Y2K problem.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of computers and PDAs and other machines have built-in DST correction.  It would cost money to patch all these machines and those that weren't patched would cause problems for years.  It'd be a mini-Y2K problem.
View Quote

Hmmm... My laptop & desktop got that automatic DST thing, I bet you can disable that somehow if they got away from DST. But the probblem is that my alarm clock, clock in my living room automobile, oven etc, not to mention me personally, it just takes a real toll on this aging body.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top