Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 7:01:42 PM EDT
just got this in an email newsletter from my state senator.
In a continuing effort to crack down on drunk drivers, the State Senate recently
passed bills that would put in place stronger criminal penalties for repeat
drunk drivers, especially drunk drivers that cause serious injuries. The
legislation would also establish the .08 Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) level as
the DWI threshold for boaters and snowmobilers.

These DWI bills are in addition to a measure that was passed by the Legislature
as part of the 2003-04 state budget, that moves up the effective date of the .08
BAC law to July 1, 2003 in order to ensure the receipt of $15 million in federal
highway assistance next year.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly the FED has effectively FUCKED the states by getting them in hteir hip pockets. Don't like a program the feds are pushing? Guess you don't need that funding next near...it's a sad cycle. Get involved.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If you've ever driven on Pennsylvania roads, you know how bad they suck. However, the reason is back in the `80's the Fed tried the same blackmail with emissions controls (specifically forced emissions testing) and Pa essentially told them to keep their money. To this day my area has no emissions testing.
The Fed has been blackmailing the states for a long time.

Edited to add: Pa. is a really bad place to get a DUI, but it is that way of their own accord - not as the result of federal intimidation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep and part of it is the PC bullshit from MADD. In evry state that has passed this DWI arrest have gone up and drunk driving deaths have not gone down. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't the feds use the same type of blackmail to raise the drinking age from 18 to 21??/
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Typical BS from the Federal govt. When you send all your money to the Feds, they give it back to you in the form of lots of strings. This not only happens on highway funds but education funds, welfare funds etc. Beware of the phase "I'm govt, and I'm here to help you."
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
So far as I know, our governor told them to keep their filthy lucre and blow it out their ass. Spent the first 2/3 of my life in the Bronx, NY and have lived in CO for the last 1/3. Best decision I ever made.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Where ya been for 20 years? This is a common and well used tactic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't the feds use the same type of blackmail to raise the drinking age from 18 to 21??/
View Quote

yes they did [pissed] I almost went to college in Vermont since I would have been grandfathered there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top