Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 8:27:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Make them recite the safety rules 10 times from memmory before you hand them a loaded firearm. KEEP SAFE!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck!

Hope it turns out Ok
Mabye you can start with a .22 so if you happen to get shot, you might survive[;)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Finger off the trigger!

Don't point the gun at ilikelegs (or anyone else at the range.)

Use a .22 pistol/rifle for training newbies - doesn't freak 'em out with loud muzzle blast or recoil.

And for the females, make sure they don't wear low-cut shirts/blouses - it really sucks when a hot case bounces into the cleavage.  

It sucks even more if she flails around trying to get the brass out of there and accidentally shoots you in the leg (not from personal experience, but I read about an incident like this.)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I take clueless noobs to the range all the time.  Teach them safety and let them put rounds down range under close supervison.  They always leave wanting their own firearms...

If all of us would do this the antis wouldn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
just load one bullet the first 25 rounds or so.
you can teach them until you are blue in the face but the first time the gun goes off and they hit the targets they may turn into total idiots
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Make recite the safety rules a bunch of times before you go to the range.  Its what I did with my old lady when I took her for the first time.  I was pleasantly surprised with how well she followed the safety rules and how well she handled my glock 17.

To be honest, I am worried about the morons around me that I haven't trained.  I got flashed yesterday by some moron casing his weapon.  Thankfully it was unloaded.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for doin your part ILL  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
It'll probably be a learning experience for you as well...

come back with all your didgits

t
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finger off the trigger!

it really sucks when a hot case bounces into the cleavage.

View Quote

In that case just JAM YOUR HAND down in there & try to pluck it out for her!  [:P]  Ooops, I missed, going in for another try...  [BD]

Okay, where is my mind? [:I]
View Quote

I'm not sure you should do that to someone with a loaded gun in hand!

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Go forth brave solider of the Pro-Gun movement and educate these wannabes. [:D]

We will all be pulling for you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Way to go!  Teach those danged liberals!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Never use the word kick.  Explain the basic physics about recoil and why you don't limp wrist a pistol.  I taught a 15 yo girl to shoot using a 45 that way.  She asked if it was going to "KICK", answer "No, but there will be some recoil"  No problems.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
just load one bullet the first 25 rounds or so.
you can teach them until you are blue in the face but the first time the gun goes off and they hit the targets they may turn into total idiots
View Quote

That's what I did when I let my 12, 10 and 8 year old sisters shoot my 9mm.  I just put one round in at a time so they couldn't accidentally fire again.  They did pretty well, though.  My 8-year-old sister did OK, but she was a little afraid of it.  She did fine, but was satisfied with one shot.  Same for my 12-year-old sister.  My 10-year-old sister isn't afraid of them at all even though this is practically her first time shooting anything more than a .22 rifle (and that very little).  She shot about 20 rounds out of my 9mm.  She rarely hit the target at 15 yards, but she still did well for a beginner.  Then I let her shoot my AR-15, and she consistently shot within a few inches of the bull's eye at 20 yards even though her arm couldn't really reach around the stock (she had to hold her arm above the stock a little).  She used iron sights and the scope, and shot approximately equeally well with both.

Of course before I let them shoot the handgun I told them carefully that a pistol is VERY easy to point in the wrong direction, so be VERY careful, and I stood next to them and watched them carefully.  I also warned them not to put their fingers in the way of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Regarding hot brass, cleavage, and "helpful hands" - yeah, a couple of times I might have gone for it (without even the excuse of hot brass [;)]), but they were armed...

Does anyone else have newbies shoot at blank pieces of paper or the reverse side of targets?  I find it takes the pressure off them to get it in the bullseye, and they focus on sight picture, breathing, and trigger squeeze.

I tell them: "Just aim at the middle of the paper and then aim at the first hole you put in it."  I've been amazed by the small groups that first-time shooters can make.

Good points on loading single rounds.  The owner of an outdoor range where I shoot had to ban full-auto shooting - too many dimwits (and their girlfriends) couldn't let go of the trigger as the muzzle climbed skywards and punched holes in the tin roof over the firing line.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Finger off the trigger!
And for the females, make sure they don't wear low-cut shirts/blouses - it really sucks when a hot case bounces into the cleavage.
View Quote

Ditto baby, ditto. Besure the ladies have something like a guys t-shirt. I had a hot spent case go down my shirt and it left a red mark.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Back in April of 1999, I taught a Newbie the Correct way to shoot.
He was worried about Y2K so he bought as his first firearm, a Glock 19.  I was in the store for another reason (supplies) and I offered to teach his the Elementary Basics.  I kept telling his to get enrolled in a class with a Certified Instructor.  Whether or not he did or not I don’t know.  As he hasn’t been the pictures I’ glad to see that he at least paid attention to me from time to time.
I had him take us  from one sporting goods store to another buying assorted supplies.  Like Q-tips, bore cleaners, cleaning kits, locks, hearing protection (both ear plugs and ear muffs), ammo and other such essentials.  He spent over $200 on these supplies alone.
Then to the range.  One round at a time.  Which I’m glad about.  He had this bad habit of pointing the gun at his front foot.  With his finger still on the trigger.  He had good position and his aim was within reason, but I am so glad I only gave him one round at a time.

Session Two I gave him a lesson as to Why Hearing Protection Is So Important.  I gave him a fully loaded magazine (he was finally over Shoot-The-Toe), and without him wearing hearing protection, empty the 10 round magazine at his target, being the best shot he could be.  The wince I saw him do on his first shot is a treasure!  I can guarantee that he will always use hearing protection from then on.  Then I brought him into the Clubhouse where he got a lesson on How to Clean a Glock Pistol.  He was surprised at all the gunk and stuff.  When he was finished he did more shooting.  Under careful instruction by me.  I left him with more words about a Certified Instructor and he better clean the Glock when he got home.
Like I said, as I haven’t seen his picture in the papers, I must have done Something right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top