Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 7:04:00 AM EDT
check out the 563,000 denials, I think Neal Knox said there were errors, but forget what kind of errros, maybe traffic tix?
=======================================================
[url=http://cbs2.com/topstories/topstories_story_149101822.html]FBI Quickens Instant Response Rate For Gun Checks[/url]

May 29, 2003 7:04 am US/Pacific

The FBI has improved its ability to respond quickly to gun dealer requests for criminal background checks, with only 9 percent of the transactions now facing delays, the Justice Department reported Thursday.

Improvements in technology have reduced the number of false matches in the National Crime Information Center system, raising the immediate response rate from a 71 percent average in early 2001 to 91 percent in 2002.

The improvement means that most gun dealers now can get information over the phone about whether a firearms purchaser is a convicted felon or other person prohibited from buying one. In the past, many dealers had to wait for an FBI agent to review records and make a final determination.

In a statement, Attorney General John Ashcroft said the improvements "are helping make our country safer by barring access to firearms by felons, illegal aliens and others who cannot legally own guns."

To reduce the remaining 9 percent of cases in which there are delays, the Justice Department is attempting to improve the completeness of criminal history records at both the state and federal levels. The department will distribute $48 million to help states improve records in 2003.

The report Thursday provides updated figures about the operations of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, which was established in November 1998 and is an outgrowth of the 10-year-old Brady Act gun control law.

The system processed 8.9 million background checks in 2001, with 125,000 denials of permission to purchase a gun. In 2002, the numbers were 8.4 million checks and 121,000 denials.

Since its inception through the end of 2002, more than 36 million background checks have been done with 563,000 denials.

(© 2003 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife's check ran through lickety-split last saturday on her new Taurus Ti .38 spl
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is an instant background check how can it be improved??

I feel lied to?

And if the FBI says I am okay in an instant why does the CalDoj make me wait 10 days??

I feel untrusted.

Sgtar15

[white] Feelings...nothing more than feeling.[/white]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Still have to wait in IL.  One day for long guns and three for handguns.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
in the last several purchases over the last year or so i have never had a problem. I haven't run into anyone that has.

mike
View Quote

I was "delayed" for several hours once.
Only problem I ever had.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My "instant" checks always took at least several hours and somethins a matter of days.  It seems the FBI didn't like the Montreal birthplace.  So I got a CHL to bypass the check.  Then about a week before my license came in the mail, they did something to change the system and it only took about 10 minutes.  And I'm stuck with this stupid CHL that I have no use for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
When I picked up my last gun I had a 24 hour delay, what a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#8]
well mine is ALWAYS I mean ALWAYS delayed, has been since nov 01 I got a fal the weekend before 9-11 went back with a pistol permit in nov for a pistol I was getting and whamo 3 day wait and a delay. I mean heck I even have a c&r why are you delaying me. never fails always stops me from buying at gun shows anymore. I now have lost my ffl that thought it was funny so when I find a new ffl its not going be a good way to start a relationship. Ronald
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Is a CHL a concealed handgun licsne?

Do these exempt you from doing a nics sheck?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought only Aliens were delayed.

How come you citizen folks are too delayed? I thought it should be only 5 minutes for cizitens.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont have to go threw a background check in Az because I have a CCW.

To get a CCW, they take your fingerprints and run them through the FBI.  Pretty safe to assume that you passes the background test.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m constantly being delayed anywhere from 3 to 7 days from taking possession of my purchase. Every time I push for an explanation I get the same response; “There were some issues we needed to clear up”.   They never tell my dealer what those issues are.

I’m checking to see if I can get this info through the FOIA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]

[red]"Since its inception through the end of 2002, more than 36 million background checks have been done with 563,000 denials.[/red]

So how many of those 563,000 denials were prosecuted. That would be interesting to know. It's nice to see the system works as far as weeding out those not allowed by law to own, buy or posses but, if you don't prosecute than is it really working?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought only Aliens were delayed.
View Quote

No, many (most?) citizens are delayed.  I haven't yet been with someone, including myself, to buy a gun and not seen a delay.  The FBI's claim that as of last year 71% of the requests got an immediate response is a lie.z
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Since the NICS started I have always been delayed. Usually just 2 or 3 hours. This has happened on dozens of firearm purchases. 2 days ago, I go in and buy a No5 Mk1 Enfield carbine. Was walking torwards the door to go home and wait, when the owner said "you're approved". What a nice suprise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
No, many (most?) citizens are delayed. I haven't yet been with someone, including myself, to buy a gun and not seen a delay. The FBI's claim that as of last year 71% of the requests got an immediate response is a lie.z
View Quote

maybe you just hang out with a bunch of criminals[;D]

i sell a lot of guns every week. i'd say better than 85% are not delayed. now they do an "instant delay" check. they delay you at first, then transfer you to a different FBI examiner. he/she will then give you a proceed. i have yet to get a delay from the second examiner. all in all we're talking 10 minutes.

edit to add: when we first started doing the NICS checks. i was told if you are delayed once you will be delayed every time. don't know why they don't fix that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been told if you have a common name, or a name by chance also by someone with a criminal record, it can take longer than the few minutes it's always taken for me.

People don't like writing their SS on those forms, but I think if you don't, it can result in a delay if a bad guy matches your name somewhere else.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the instant check system the same in every state?  Here in MA, even though I have a LTC, CHL, CCW (whatever the current lingo is) the dealer calls a number and before he even finishes giving my info, he has a confirmation number.  I've bought 14 guns in the last 3 years and never even been delayed.  

I gonna sue for discrimination if I dont get delayed at least once.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything went smooth today when I picked up a Ruger Security-Six .357mag.  No wait, no hassle, no fuss!  No one at the FBI asked any questions about my dual nationality this time (they've been doing that about every third of the time).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top