Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 6:59:38 AM EDT
Some type of seat random belt check station. I got randomly pulled over.

So as I pull into the ditch, I undo my seatbelt to get my wallet out.

LEO looks in. "You don't have your seatbelt on."

Bam. Ticket. $25.

Phuque PRMD, the horse they rode in on and anyone that looks like them.

edited for spelling.
This just plain ain't right.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Nationwide  "Click it or ticket" pogrom.

All out illustrious traffic "parolpersons" (<-note PC gender neutral thought process) have ticket quotas rolling over.

My advice would be to avoid driving or wear them like a tattoo.    
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
$25.... be happy your not in Houston, it's $100 or more here.....

I got one a year ago or so, and was wearing the seat belt in a rental car. Knew that's what he was up to so I stayed seated, in order for him to see, but because I had the shoulder strap portion behind my arm, numb-nut wrote me up for not wearing it "properly". It was a quota deal and no amount of discussion was gonna deter him.

Went to court, judge laughed and tore up ticket..... I've always worn a lap belt but NEVER use the shoulder strap.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You might want to challenge the ticket in traffic court. But here in Kalif. if you challenge a law and you loose, they used to tack on some extra fees for courts cost, do they do that in Maryland?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You might want to challenge the ticket in traffic court. But here in Kalif. if you challenge a law and you loose, they used to tack on some extra fees for courts cost, do they do that in Maryland?
View Quote

I was just passing through.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bam. Ticket. $25.
View Quote

When pulled over, the best response is to keep both hands on the steering wheel until told otherwise. when the officer ask for your driver's license tell him you will have to unbuckle your seatbelt to get it.

Just about every person i have pulled over and wasnt wearing a seatbelt claims "I just took it off to get my wallet."  Thank God for patrol video recorders. It's just to bad the judge cant up the fine for people who go into traffic court and perjur themselves.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bam. Ticket. $25.
View Quote

When pulled over, the best response is to keep both hands on the steering wheel until told otherwise. when the officer ask for your driver's license tell him you will have to unbuckle your seatbelt to get it.

Just about every person i have pulled over and wasnt wearing a seatbelt claims "I just took it off to get my wallet."  Thank God for patrol video recorders. It's just to bad the judge cant up the fine for people who go into traffic court and perjur themselves.
View Quote

Comply....resistence is futile.

Maybe the "state" should mind their own fucking business.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Piccolo, write the check for $25.99 and see if they try to refund you the $0.99.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

The [s]little worm[/s] officer is probably still laughing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I am waiting for the motorcycle seat belt law.

Just stupid I tell you
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Piccolo, write the check for $25.99 and see if they try to refund you the $0.99.
View Quote

or really get their goat:$25.01

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to PRMD. It's a thing DC,MD, and Northern VA? are doing to make us all nice and safe, one of the things our fine republic does to keep us happy here [BS2]

Come back and see us real soon!
OK time for my meds [BD]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

or really get their goat:$25.01

View Quote

[LOLabove]

You're going to do to, aren't you? I know you can't pass it up. [:D]

I usually keep my wallet on the sunvisor or in the seat beside me, when I have it. Sitting on it is a real pain in the butt I haven't tolerated for 20 years. Maybe I wouldn't if I lived in more populated urban areas. aaaaahh, rural life. [^]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
pic,

Happened to me once when I was 18. Got pulled over for speeding (I was ,69 in a 55mph zone)anyhow I had automatic shoulderbelts so I undid the lapbelt to retrieve my wallet and whan...two tickets for seatbelt violation. I di manage to get him to drop it to only one violation as he remembered (After I remined him) that I toolk my belt off to get my wallet. When I did my security clearance intervied for the Army I had to explain why I had a ticket and will now have to claim that for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Go to court with the SEC- I double dare you...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#17]

You got pulled over by the "Revenue Enhancement Division"
 Like they really give a fuck if you live or die [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

My dilemma is that my seat buckle release and my CCW are at exactly the same location!! [:O]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Those cruisers don't pay for themselves bud.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#20]
i always keep my belt on until the officer asks me for my license
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#21]
That's my biggest gripe about Maryland State cops - they are just revenue collectors. They know it and some even seem to enjoy it. The whole organization is historically corrupt.

I remember when Pa troopers were basically told to write more speeding tickets to increase revenue (late 1980's), right after the legislature had drastically raised the fines. They responded by writing MANY warnings but very few actual tickets. The ones I know still cringe when I mention it. After all, there are far fewer Pa cops than Md cops, and they cover a MUCH larger area. They don't have time for such crap. If they DO pull you over though... be nice to them!

What a difference a border (and different mentality) makes!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
piccolo,

Was this a random stop at a roadblock or was everyone stopped? I believe in 1990, The US Supreme Court, in Michigan v. Sitz, ruled that such roadblocks are constitutional, that they did not violate the 4th Amendment as long as everyone is stopped and that the delay is brief. However, I beleive random stops are unconstitutional. Irregardless, I think you should fight the ticket if as you say, you had your seatbelt on and just removed it once stopped to get your wallet out. Of course, the officer who wrote the ticket is likely to lie and say he saw that you didn't have it on when you were pulled over. (At least that has been my experience in 35 years of driving and dealing with law enforcement. YMMV)

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, that was my question. What were you stopped for? If it was a checkpoint (where everbody is checked), I think thats defintely fightable. We cant do that shit out west, at least for seat belt laws. There has to be a criinal element to the checkpoint, i.e. DUI, etc.

If it wasnt a checkpoint, and just a traffic stop, what was the stop for? There has to be a justifiable reason for the stop.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#25]
click it or ticket...

I was just thinking about this the other day...:

What would happen if people just started showing up for court instead of simply blindly paying the ticket..

what would be the dismial rate cause the officer didnt show....
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
If it is only $25 dollars, make sure to pay it for $25.89 {or other .xx} and make a copy of the ticket, stapled AND paperclipped to the check.  Make sure to write a memo that convienently overlaps on to the MICR number....send it certified mail so when the try to say you didn't pay you have proof it was delivered to them.

They will try to scan the number several times and likely toss the ticket and the check in the circular 86 files.....

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just stupid I tell you
View Quote

Shhh! Don't give the goose-steppers any ideas. There has been talk in Europe/GB about motorcycle airbags...[rolleyes].  I used to wear my seatbelt religiously...until they passed the law.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#28]
In Maryland, if it starts raining, by law you have to turn your headlights on.  What a crazy state, I was glad to leave.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I triple dare you!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In Maryland, if it starts raining, by law you have to turn your headlights on.  What a crazy state, I was glad to leave.
View Quote

Actually, Virginia has that too – and I kind of like it!!

If someone wants to kill themselves by not wearing a seat belt, then fine.  But I don’t want them slamming into me because I couldn’t see them.

In other words, if it doesn’t affect me, I don’t care – if it does, I do!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here is one officer that is not taking part in the "click it or ticket" campaign.  I don't enforce unconstitutional laws.
View Quote

God bless you.  May you live a long healthy life, my friend.  They need more cops like you in NY, where you can get a ticket for pissing crooked.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just stupid I tell you
View Quote

Allready here (sort of): Helmet law...

However, I don't need a law to tell me you're a moron if you ride sans-helmet (esp w/o a windshield (i.e. like my bike))...

The assorted large rocks (one the size of a .45ACP slug), bugs, and other debris that has bounced off my face shield has been far more effective than any law could be...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here is one officer that is not taking part in the "click it or ticket" campaign.  I don't enforce unconstitutional laws.
View Quote

God Bless you!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I triple dare you!!!
View Quote

If Hagarstown wasn't 4 hrs or so away from me, I WOULD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top