Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 6:22:03 PM EDT
I was just watching that ESPN X Games stuff and I swear these guys are smoking crack. I saw a snow boarder go up the half pipe and make 2 revolutions and the announcer was calling it a 900. I thought I was mistaken until I saw a guy make 1 1/2 revolutions and the announcer called it a 720. Then everything I suspected came true when a contestant went up and did a 180. The announcer called that a 540 backside grab. The numbers that they throw up are not representative of the actual rotation. Also, they have a million different names for the same trick. Indie air, backside fakie grab, backside 540. They all look the same. And it isn't because I don't know anything about the sport, I've skiied for 21 years. The thing about skiing is that if I roll in fakie and pull a 720 iron cross tip grab, even an idiot will look up and see me and say: "Holy shit! That idiot is going backwards, crossing his skiis, grabbing the tail and landing backwards!" Snowboring tricks are all variations of a rotations. Even the "flips" don't look like flips. On skiis, when you are upside down, I will truely have my body perpendicularto the ground with my legs pointing in at the sky. Snowboring sucks to watch.

Am I missing something? Do they automatically add 180 degrees to the revolution to cheat? I saw the same crap on skateboards. Those punks aren't making 720 or 900 degrees of rotation. Why do they call it that. Does it stand for something else? Then again, a lot of these guys look and sound like they smoke a lot of pot so I guess they don't have the mental capacity to figure out that they are a bunch of morons. Morons who can grab major air, but morons none the less. Are there any snowboarders out there that can explain this to me?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top