BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 6:16:05 PM EDT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A50846-2003May28?language=printer

Clinton Wants Change in Presidential Term Limits

Reuters
Wednesday, May 28, 2003; 8:03 PM

BOSTON (Reuters) - Former President Bill Clinton said on Wednesday Congress should change the rule that barred him from seeking a third term in the White House, but stopped short of saying he wants to return as commander-in-chief.

Speaking at the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum here, Clinton questioned certain aspects of the 22nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which prevents a person from being elected president more than twice.

Clinton said the amendment, passed after Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected to a record fourth term, should be changed simply to keep a person from being elected to more than two consecutive terms as president.

"I think since people are living much longer ... the 22nd Amendment should probably be modified to say two consecutive terms instead of two terms for a lifetime," Clinton said.

The former president said such a change probably wouldn't apply to him but would benefit future generations.

"There may come a time when we elect a president at age 45 or 50, and then 20 years later the country comes up against the same kind of problems the president faced before," he said. "People would like to bring that man or woman back but they would have no way to do so."

Clinton, who left office in 2001, said he had "loved" his time as president but was also enjoying life outside the White House.

"I was surprised at how happy I was to have my life back," he said during a question-and-answer session with presidential historian Michael Beschloss.

Clinton said he was writing his memoirs, which were due to be published in the autumn of 2004, although he said they may be out before then.

© 2003 Reuters
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet he wants to lower female's age of consent from 18 to 16 as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the term limit should be one term and I know that the age of consent is a state issue. Here in WA it is 16.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think the term limit should be one term and I know that the age of consent is a state issue. Here in WA it is 16.
View Quote

HUH! I thought it was 18.

16 aint right
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

16 aint right
View Quote

I don't know man, them girls grow up awful fast these days...

EDITED: Damn it, not spelling worth a crap tonight...Need sleepy.
Screw you guys, I'm goin' to bed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

16 aint right
View Quote

They changed it last summer. The older guys I worked with were very happy...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

16 aint right
View Quote

In some of the more liberal states, there is a movement to lower it, usually after an episode like '18 y/o gets charged for banging his 17 or 16 y/o girlfriend'... Allong the same lines of the 'We drank in high school, and we see nothing wrong with our kids doing it too' argument...

As less and less people grow up under the expectation that they 'keep it zipped', movements to lower the age will keep popping up...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Why does Clinton's opinion on anything matter?  AWB signing ex-presidential hippies need to be seen and not heard.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It is 16 but the older party cannot be more than 4 years 11 months older than the younger.
View Quote

I'm free and clear down to a little over twelve! That's fucked up!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Bills big ego is showing again.  He wouldn't be saying this unless he (and his cronies) believed that he is still electable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#12]
[whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko][whacko]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw this last night.  Amazing.  That ass hole sees himself as the savior of the Democratic party and America from the evil Republicans.

Near the end of his last term, (...and our imprisonment!) I heard pundits and political junkies talking about how Clinton would handle being a private citizen.  All said that because he was so young and still politically active, civilian life would be difficult for him.

Clearly he wants to return.  Clearly he will push hard for his wife in her '08 presidential bid.  That puts him back in the White House...with far less responsibility...far more time on his hands...and lots more opportunities to ride in Air Force 1, tool around town in limos, travel around the world grabbing hooters, and schtuup babes in the West Wing. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#14]
The only additional term that corksucker deserves is in a Federal Penitentiary. Didn't we impeach that bastard?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top