Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 5:04:47 PM EDT
A line officer at Ben Avery told me that today.  He warned that if I didn't clean my ak vigorusly it will blow up because of wolf ammo.

I replied "I could throw a handful of sand in the action, fire a whole case of ammo, and not have a single problem"

Line Officer then said "Dont tell me about the AK!  I spent 3 years in Nam"

I let the argument end there.  Needless to say, i threw my ak in the closet after firing 300 hundred rounds in 107 degree heat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
"That wolf ammo will blow up your AK, better be careful"

Ok that is

[BS2]  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
More proof that we are sometimes our own worst enemies.

What a dumbass.

I remember seeing a History Channel episode where someone reported that he had a captured AK in Nam.  Used to go out, put a few rounds through it for target practice and toss it in his locker.  Few weeks later go and pull it out, kick the bolt open with his heel because it had rusted shut and take it out for some more practice.

Yeah, that nasty Wolf is really going to fuck up a close tolerance machine like an AK... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, he spent 3 years in 'Nam and learned everything about the AK... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns_N_Shizzle. [ROFL2]  Dude, your name cracks me up. [ROFL]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
What it boiled down to was that the guy was a gun snob. He was blathering on about some M1A that some army sharpshooter dude built him that would shoot sub moa at 700 yards and how he sold it bla bla bla.

Probaly didn't like seeing a tall young white guy come in and shoot winchester white box out of a bastard Glock 17 and wolf ammo out of a commie gun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
after consulting ammo forums, eric_the_ammoman, this distinguished gathering and all other members of ARF.com, we have come to the following conclusion: [bs]

it's dirty, its inconsistent, but it goes "bang", bumpfires and the lacquer story is total [bs2] too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I didn't expect anyone to take what this crackpot said seriously.  

Has anyone ever heard of a AK KB'ing?  I know that I haven't.  Probaly because no one reloads 7.62x39
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
shit, thats all I shoot in mine...Well, there was that 1/2 case of combloc stuff I had...
I better get a time machine and warn myself, I might die from those 2 cases(+)...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Has anyone ever heard of a AK KB'ing?  I know that I haven't.  Probaly because no one reloads 7.62x39
View Quote

You mean I've been wasting my time handloading boattail match rounds for my SKS?  [BD]

Hell... does anyone even make dies for 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Wolf is great for AKs and SKSs.

I don't recommend it for an AR.

Why?

The laquer rubs off, and all those little red crystals get EVERYWHERE, mainly, in your gas tube.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
More proof that we are sometimes our own worst enemies.

What a dumbass.

[red]I remember seeing a History Channel episode where someone reported that he had a captured AK in Nam.  Used to go out, put a few rounds through it for target practice and toss it in his locker.  Few weeks later go and pull it out, kick the bolt open with his heel because it had rusted shut and take it out for some more practice.[/red]

Yeah, that nasty Wolf is really going to fuck up a close tolerance machine like an AK... [rolleyes]
View Quote

That was Charles Cutshaw. He told that story on the history channel and in a article on the SSR85 rifles in Small Arms Review.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm...I own 6 AK variants all together (3 SARs, a MAK 90, and two nice custom Bulgy rifles)
They would think they were in AK Heaven if they were ever fed anything [b]BUT[/b] Wolf.

Oh,...and I wonder what the quality and cleanliness was like in all of that VC ammo that was hidden in sweltering jungle ammo dumps?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a primer break off without firing the bullet but wasnt anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
sheesh then i guess the russkies better stop using Wolf in there Ak's (made in same factory just gets put in a diffrent box for sale to the export marker)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Lee makes dies for 7.62x39.  I have a set, picked them up when I thought there may be a time when I can't find an abundance of disposable fodder.  I've found a number of people that never heard of cheap imported ammo and buy Winchester, Federal, and Remington stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haven't heard of a AK KBin but we do(i don't but one of the guys i hunt with does) reload 7.62x39 for two of the drive guns during deer season. Where we hunt you won't see a shot over 100 yards on a drive and in heavy brush I'll take a 16inch barreld AK, it makes life so much easier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Hell, the AK variants are the only weapons I have ever seen that could pass the "Crest Test".

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
lol, navy walrus, uhh, special ops, er special ed
View Quote

see that's funny because the NAM spec ops guys i know, when they would find an AK would strip rounds out of the mags and replace some of the powder with C-4 explosive causing the guns to
"blow big" and kill VC.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
good lord!

i run wolf/barnaul/ulyhovsk/tula cartridge works/novosibirsk in ALL my guns...including my anschutz single shot match smallbore rifle and my fast guns! yes, even the full auto guns (including the m16's) eat nothing but wolf and cheap commie ammo.

people that have problems with wolf better start wrenching on the gun...not dogging the ammunition.

we put 400-500 thru the m4 in full auto last sunday with nary a glich.

you wanna see wolf disappear by the case? come to bulletfest and watch case after case turn into piles of spent brass...er...steel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Shizzle - Was it that old focker with the long beard and glasses?  I know because I use to live in Phoenix and I spent some time at that range every now and then.  That guy would always bust my balls about my Calico M-950.  Every frickin line inspection he would always ask me "that's not the full auto version is it?", with a hint of disapproval for the firearm.  I would always say "no sir it's semi but thanks for your concern."  He was always telling total bullshit stories to everyone he spoke with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#25]
he had glasses, but no beard.  

You can fire full auto at that range.  See guys with full auto macs and uzi's up there all the time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Wolf 7.62x39 is great for my SAR-1 and SKS, never a hiccup.

I tried some Wolf 9mm and locked up 3 pistols in one range visit.  Beretta 92FS, Glock 19, S&W 4509 all with cases stuck in the chamber.  I decided not to try the 5.56 for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm they issued Wolf ammo in Nam huh???[peep]
The guy is probably right cause when I was in nam as a super secret can't tell you. When we were in the dry wetlands of Yu Hi Man, and Sum Dum Fuk we saw alot of AK's blow up that were dirty some even had scratches on the barrel which is a sure sign of fatigue. The AK I was using as a walking stick blew up when I tried to shoot a Bass stripped dear while on patrol. I was killed instantly so learn from my mistake! [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Wolf 7.62x39 was designed for the AK. Actually, its Russian military ammo produced commercially.
All wolf ammo works great, unless your gun is already worn down, and youve stored the ammo for so long in bad conditions that the laquer has worn away.

Malfunction and Avtomat-Kalashnikov are an oxymoron. Hell, AK's work just fine under water...
Would be cool to dip an AK in mud and see how it'll fire.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Malfunction and Avtomat-Kalashnikov are an oxymoron. Hell, AK's work just fine under water...
Would be cool to dip an AK in mud and see how it'll fire.
View Quote

Read "About Face" by Hackworth. He found one that had been buried in mud, racked it and fired it. so the book says...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Wave - Use what works for you.  I'm not slamming Wolf, just relating what happened to me.  Wolf seems to be pretty good ammo (hot and dirty, but good), I just don't like the lacquer or the red sealant around the primer.

I think the pistols got warm, then loaded, then set down and maybe the lacquer stuck the casing in the chamber.  That's the only way I can figure my jams.  I had to free the extractor and knock the casings out w/a long screwdriver and a hammer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#32]
wave we have to meet up at calverton one time i'm there all the time probably have see you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not sure if I've let any sit in a warm chamber for any period of time, but I've shot around 1000 rnds of Wolf 9mm out of my Taurus 92AF without a single hiccup.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, navy walrus, uhh, special ops, er special ed
View Quote

see that's funny because the NAM spec ops guys i know, when they would find an AK would strip rounds out of the mags and replace some of the powder with C-4 explosive causing the guns to
"blow big" and kill VC.

View Quote

My electronics professor in college told us one day about how he used an AK all through the NAM and it saved his life many times. He said they would crawl through swamps and mud and the M-16 would never hold up in those conditions. He said another reason our special ops guys used AK's in NAM was because they could trick out the enemy, shoot off some rounds and set an ambush, little enemy squads would come right to them thinking they were friendly, then they would waste them!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Probaly didn't like seeing a tall young white guy come in and shoot winchester white box out of a bastard Glock 17 and wolf ammo out of a commie gun.
View Quote

There is nothing wrong w/ that!

As I am and follow the same.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#37]
its common knowledge that the torpedo that blew up inside the KURSK submarine was made by WOLF.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#38]
[BS]

I use wolf in my SKS and AR, both work fine. Its a bit dirty, but I clean my guns so it doesnt matter
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:20:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Nigga' Pleeeaase.[rolleyes]
Wolf and AKs go together like Terds and Assholes....err,maybe a substitute analogy is at hand?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:35:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#41]
[b]I'd really like to hear what the logic is behind this trend.[/b]

there is no logic, tom. it's just more stupidity coming from the fucking morons that make up at least 10% of the shooting sports community.

i'm firmly convinced that fully 25% of all humans are born without a brain...and half of those go on to be match shooters, range masters, club trustees and those stupid fucks with a beer gut and muzzleloader i see trying to target shoot on the dedicated machinegun range.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I travel across the country and meet up often with other shooters.  I've been seeing more and more animosity to Wolf ammo at ranges around the country especially private clubs.  Some ranges even have signs that say "No Wolf Ammo Allowed".  Saw this in CA.

When asked why, I seldom get an intellegent answer other than it is Russian and made with shoddy workmanship and it's inacurate. "WTF do you care as long as it's in the backstop."

Most people will admit that one of the gives and takes of owning an AK is that you will give up a little range and acuracy for rate of fire otherwise we would all be shooting bolt actions.

I'd really like to hear what the logic is behind this trend.

BTW, IBTL last post.
View Quote

I know of a couple ranges that don't want it on the range because they sweep up all the brass at the end of the day, and then sell it/turn it into the guy they buy reloads from.  Obivously he's not going to be interested in dealing with steel cases, so the range would have to sort out the steel cases and then throw them away.  While someone still has to srot through the cases for caliber, it's easier to not have to worry about a whole category of cases you need to discard.

Also some ranges will recycle brass that can't be reloaded (i.e. rimfire, etc) and obviously steel cases complicate things in that regard as well.  I would imagine that in some states that are more enviromentally active than others (like CA is), recycling may be required somehow.

Another possibility is that the range doesn't want to run it through their range guns for whatever reason, so they prohibit it so it doesn't get fired in any of their stuff.

I've been to ranges in CA where the only ammo you could shoot was ammo that you bought from the range.  Aside from the obvious finacial set-up there, they claimed that it was the only way they could be sure no one was going to blow themselves up with a reload, or whatever.  Seemed sorta like a rental car agency telling you that you had to buy gas from them at some absurd price over retail.  

Some people are just ignorant and think it will blow up your gun, so they don't allow it.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#43]
now, I hear a lot of talk about wolf & dirty...

didnt wolf recently change their formula so it's cleaner?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#45]
[b]didnt wolf recently change their formula so it's cleaner?[/b]

nafaik. they did delete the neck sealant on their .223 in order to passify whining ar owners that blamed the ammo instead of their marginal extracter springs.

i shot tens of thousands of wolf WITH the neck sealant in many semi and full ar's without expiriencing a single fte.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top