Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 10:58:09 AM EDT
He goes off on this thing about Assault weapons and I did a real good job of destroying his arguments, no they are not full auto, they are less powerful than hunting rifles, pre ban no more dangerous than post.

anyways he was saying that handguns should be registered so they aren't sold to crazies.

I told him under the brady bill every gun is registered meaning the government or state keeps record of who the pistol is registered to?

am I correct or does Arizona not have registration of pistol, I know you have to pass a background check but does that also mean we have registration?

thanks guy!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If the teacher is convinced of the righteousness of his own position enough to bat around logic like "handguns should be registered so they aren't sold to crazies", you aren't going to convince him.
View Quote

Don't be silly. Cars are registered, and they are never sold to the mentally ill or used in crimes, right?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure you will get better responses than this one, but:
1) In most cases, firearms are not registered.  Unless you count the fact that the FFL keeps records of all sales until he/she closes up shop.  Then the BATFE gets the records.
2) Buy more than one handgun at a time, the BATFE gets a record of it.
3) Private sales in some (many?) states still allowed.  Therefore no registration.
etc....

Keep it up though.  I*f he's not a complete idealistic moron like most liberals, he might be trainable....
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with DoubleFeed.  Once had this backfire on me.  I was discussing gun laws in general, most specifically in regards to "assault weapons".  After pointing out the preban vs. post ban differences and that they make no funtional change to the rifle and that the law was ineffective and a crappy piece of "feel good" legislation, the listener stated that "Well, that just goes to show you that we need to make these laws TOUGHER and outlaw them altogether!"

You can't change someone's mind, once it has been made up on a particular issue.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell him that you think as a teacher all his lectures should be recorded by the state and monitored to make sure he doesn't say anything that anyone else could possibly disagree with.

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
NICS records are only kept for 90 days [;)] [;)] and is NOT registration. There is currently no Federal 'gun registration' law.

How does registering a gun keep it from being sold to a 'crazy'? The current Federal law prohibits guns from being sold to any person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution. It's printed right on the NICS background check form.

I would ask the person who qualifies as their definition of a crazy. Someone who disagrees with them? Someone who behaves in a manner they don't like?

I find that debates with gun control advocates usually exposes the person's intolerance for that which is different than themselves or that which they cannot directly control; and their egocentric desire to impose their moral and philosophical views on everyone.

As you progress through the logical steps of debate, you will eventually reach the stumbling blocks of the completely asinine and illogical thought processes rooted in the person's emotions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tell him that you think as a teacher all his lectures should be recorded by the state and monitored to make sure he doesn't say anything that anyone else could possibly disagree with.

It's for the children.
View Quote

BINGO!!!

Only thing i would add to the end of your statement is: "after all the pen IS mighter than the sword, right?"

Best rebutal I ever herd.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Having an argument with an "anti" is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. Sooner or later, you will realize that the pig enjoys it!

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
it is in front of a college class and you would be suprised how many people agree with you when you explain how dumb the laws are.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for your help guys it probably isn't worth debating with the teach.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top