Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 1:04:52 AM EDT
ON THE FLIP SIDE.....       [soapbox]

As the AWB is about to be either placed to rest or resurected ...I want to look on the flip side..

With the price of preban guns, in general ,soaring sky high and out of reach of most people..we all wonder about the future of the AWB...I am not unfourtunate like some guys that I know who cannot afford anywhere from 1500.00 to 4000.00 depending on which Preban gun it is that youre taking about..As I have a safe full of preban weapons...And Im glad that the value of these weapons are doing well as with any investment....

However...If I decided to sell any of these weapons...which I doubt I ever will...I would not try to get rich with one sale....I know the name of the game is $$$$MONEY$$$$....but damn...come on guys!!!

I am sure that many (MOST) of the dealers that deal in Preban weapons are right in line with the limp wristed Democrats....and are more than likely against the AWB sunset....think about it...Buying a Preban weapon for a thousand dollars and selling it for 2500.00....well this is their "BREAD AND BUTTER".....not to mention the hi capacity mags BLACK MARKET....I would imagine that BILL AND HILLARY...had a few thousand PREBAN guns...in the closet with the PINK TOOTOO's and the whips and chains....just look at what happend with the OIL RESERVES....BILL GOT RICH....

The thing is....the AWB will never go away..and it is for one reason....not because the evil features...or HI capacity....it is $$$$MONEY$$$$

So when you gun dealers out there in "PREBAN HEAVEN" sell these guns at rediculious prices...you are doing nothing more than taking part in the trashing of the 2nd amendment...

SO .....I HOPE YOU'RE PROUD....

I know that this will piss some of you off....
but...

Like a man said that was standing down stream....

AND I QUOTE," ITS BETTER TO BE PISSED OFF THAN PISSED ON!!!"
[snoopy]                                [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
[50]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn I agree with you.
Money is the number 1 cause of all Evil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
... My prebans will devalue by thousands but I don't care, it's a small price for freedoms once surrendered.

... I never seriously purchased prebans as an investment. Yeah, maybe a good deal at times, but not to make money.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The LOVE of money is the root of all evil.  Once you put money ahead of everything else in your life, your'e screwed.

I'm afraid if the ban goes on, you'll see alot of people lose interest in these types of weapons.  Last gun show I went to I saw 25 round mags for the Ruger 10/22 going for $65, new in box.  I see those same mags every show.  I don't know anyone who'll pay that much for them.  After the ban came into being, I think that's when most of the people who wanted to get rich off these weapons had a chance, maybe for the first 5 years of it.  After that, the prices rose enough that I didn't know anyone who would absolutely could not live without having a flash hider and bayonet lug.

If the numbers keep dropping, the nay-sayers could easily point a finger and say no one cares about these weapons except for a narrow group of collectors that own or could afford these guns.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I tend to agree with Moondog.  Look at the price of full-auto weapons.  The price keeps going up, but this is mainly do to a handful of collectors who literally buy these guns by the dozen.  The result is that the average person has totally lost interest in them.  The same will happen with "pre-bans" if the ban doesn't sunset.  The prices may well keep going up, but it will be because of collectors and not shooters.  Which means the Democrats would win (their goal all along).

For the shooting INDUSTRY to survive, aka Bushmaster, Armalite, Ruger, etc..... new guns and parts have to be available to the shooting public.   If such things are not available then the industry dies.

You have to figure out where the majority of the money lies.  Does it lie with the manufacturers or the collectors?  If it is with the manufacturers then their should be more money against the ban than for it.

Also consider that manufacturing employs people.  It also keep bullet manufacturers happy.  Whereas a typical collector is just some old man who hords guns, doesn't fire them, and doesn't open his doors during the day without looking through his camera to see if there are any hoodlums out front.  I really doubt that such individuals hold much political clout.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:06:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Just two minor points:

There is NO "BLACK MARKET" in high capacity magazines.   True black market sales are technically illegal, and dealing in pre-ban magzines is legal, all day long.

Please don't over-use the trailing periods....OK?

It makes your post a little annoying to read.

Getting off the soapbox now.

It'd be great to see the ban expire.  Some price adjustments will be welcomed, and the greediest of the dealers will not be missed.

CJ
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I do stand to lose some big bucks, but so what!  I'm into this for the enjoyment, not for financial reasons.  This ban needs to go quietly.  

The '89 is the big one for my collecting tastes (imports), but unfortunately, there is no right to import, so even if the RKBA gets declared individual and uninfringable, the '89 could still stand from the customs standpoint.

If the RKBA gets declared by the SCOTUS to be individual, and the '34 starts to get re-evaluated, watch the fireworks between MG "investors" and MG enthusiasts!

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I could care less if my pre-ban is worth $1.00 after the ban expires!  I have no plans to sell it and that would mean I could now buy new rifles for $1.00 with all the evil features!  To me this is a good thing!  

If you're buying guns for investment purposes maybe you should buy real estate or stocks instead.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Awhile back on this forum (I think it was even before I became a member), there was at least one guy who was pissing and moaning how he'd lose money if the AWB expired. In response many other pre-ban owners here lambasted the guy and would take their loss as being acceptable if it meant restoration of one small aspect of their RKBA.

There are a number of investors out there who could stand to lose a great deal of money. How many of them would back an extension of the AWB is unknown but I suspect it's not that many
(say a couple of thousand).

Whatever the number of pre-ban investors is, I doubt that there's enough of them to make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if the original pre-bans will still hold their value. Not necessarily because certain features are present vs. a post-ban, but because they are older and, like certain models, are out of production. Ban or no ban, I think that most pre-bans will still be worth more than any new rifle made after the AWB expires.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I do not think my SP-1 will drop that much. I paid 1500.00 for it 3 years ago. My AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine ithink will hold its value. Hell I paid 1100.00 for it in '97.They both lack the magazine release protector thingy. and are grey in color. But ll those people that paid over 2000.00 for police tradeins  that were converted by the dealers into M-4geries will be pissed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just thinking back to the days when you could find franken-AR's for under $500
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am sure that many (MOST) of the dealers that deal in Preban weapons are right in line with the limp wristed Democrats....and are more than likely against the AWB sunset....think about it...Buying a Preban weapon for a thousand dollars and selling it for 2500.00....well this is their "BREAD AND BUTTER".....not to mention the hi capacity mags BLACK MARKET....I would imagine that BILL AND HILLARY...had a few thousand PREBAN guns...in the closet with the PINK TOOTOO's and the whips and chains....just look at what happend with the OIL RESERVES....BILL GOT RICH....
View Quote

Stolen from Delta Uniform:  [img]http://members.cox.net/southparkmilitia/images/nopity.gif[/img]

I have diminished respect for any gun owner or dealer who holds his personal financial gain in higher esteem than the Second Amendment.

I know a guy who had his pre-ban Colt AR-15 stolen in 1989 about a week after the Caliban passed the original Roberti-Roos ban on named models.  He went to Krasne's gun shop in downtown San Diego to buy a replacement with his anticipated insurance settlement.  But noooooooooo, the dealer had just doubled the price that very day in anticipation of the ban.  He not only declined to cut my friend a deal, he said "God bless the Democrats in Sacramento!"  My friend was so angry he went to the NRA to express a grievance against Krasne's, but the local chief NRA dude told my friend basically that his viewpoint was less important than Krasne's because Krasne's has donated a lot more money than my friend had.

My friend was a life member.  He has never been able to get any satisfaction or apology from the NRA, so he has disavowed his membership.  And Krasne's attitude plus the fact that they accidentally sold him an illegal machinegun a few years earlier has kept him out of that place.

The federal AW ban backfired on the Democrats in 1994, but we are in trouble if we allow it or any of its consequences, including the artificially high price of pre-bans, to divide us.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
You folks are all good-willed but not everybody does.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#16]
If anyone is investing (or has invested) in prebans for purely financial purposes, they'd be fools not to sell (at least a portion of) their collection today.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just two minor points:

There is NO "BLACK MARKET" in high capacity magazines.   True black market sales are technically illegal, and dealing in pre-ban magzines is legal, all day long.

It makes your post a little annoying to read.

Getting off the soapbox now.

It'd be great to see the ban expire.  Some price adjustments will be welcomed, and the greediest of the dealers will not be missed.

CJ
View Quote

How about you go get FUCKED!!! ............SIR

[nana][nana][nana][nana][nana]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Smile when you say that!

Oh, never mind.   Youi already did![;D]

CJ

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

How about you go get FUCKED!!! ............SIR
View Quote

ROFL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top