Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2001 10:34:24 PM EDT
Wow, this thing flies.  Beats the crap out of GTE's DSL.

Who knows the website where I can "ping" my speed?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have AT&T as well.  They are an anti company though, but the only game in town.  I know there is star band but you can't game well over it.

Anyhew here is a speed test link:  [url]http://www.cnet.com/internetservices/g/bm/msn/0001.html[/url]  I got 3709.1kbps, though it sure seems much slower sometimes. Edited for spelling but tried the link and got 2009 this time.  Oh, well.  Could never go back to dial up though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You're welcome!! Actually, unless you have something very new, the cable modem is done through @Home(At Home).com. ATT is somewhat anti, but if they knew how many "pro" folks that work for them, they'd have a cow! I wish I could get the cable modem setup (we're lucky to have running water and electricitywhere I live).
For another site that has a speed test, try www.2wire.com.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, it's pretty fast but their email sucks! also, try calling tech support sometime. It basically consists of them asking you if your cable is working, if there are lights on you modem, etc. This is after you've been on hold for 90 minutes....
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember, it depends how many on your hub are on while you are.  I think they're cut of is 30 or 40 per hub.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Must be nice.  Not only am I on dial up I only have one phone line.  It sucks, hopefully I will get cable soon.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.ba-hss.com/speedtest/[/url]
[url]http://www.dslreports.com/stest/0[/url]
try those.

try this one to see how your broadband connection is set up.
[url]http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks[/url]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Whose cable system is used?  Do they lay their own or use the local cable company's?
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have AT&T as well.  They are an anti company though, but the only game in town.  
View Quote

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I use to have the @home service through COX cable when I was in SoCal but here it has to be through AT&T. They have Verizon DSL but Verizons cust svc here in TX sucks the big wazoo. CA Verizon will bend over backwards for you, over here it seems they could care less. they told me it would take 6wks for a self install. Whats up with that? When I told them AT&T can install faster they said go with AT&T why call us.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
It runs over existing cable infrastructure, but you must have "digital cable" available at your house before you can go the cable modem route.  Eventually, dial tone/standard phone service will be available over the cable too, which will cut out the local Bell entirely. Of course, they are offering DSL to compete, but it will eventually come down to who can provide the best service cheapest.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The AT&T is a digital wireless signal.  Ithink it is a microwave signal.  They are coming to install our dish receiver in three weeks.  They did a house by house study in our area and only offered it to those who could get a clear signal from the tower.  The dish will receive our phone service and seperate internet signal.  $60 for phone and internet with call waiting, caller id, call forwarding, free in state long distance, $0.07 long distance, 10 extra hours of dial-up internet for use away from home.  Sounds pretty good.  They said it will be a little faster than Verizon DSL.  I will let you know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh Cool! I didn't know they had started offering the wireless service yet!! Your area must be one of the first.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
AT&T is becoming less anti-gun.  I saw something that their contributions to the gun-grabbers were down to something like $5,000 per year.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have AT&T@Home.

I used to get well over 4000kbps.

In the past two - three months, it's slowed down to about 500kbps!!!!!!!! :-(

However it's the fastest thing around here, I still think it's slow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top