Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 6:15:58 PM EDT
I'm gonna start IDPA competition.

Sig P226 in 40 S&W.

But tell me your tips and tricks and hints for a newbie.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Heavy focus on cover- Shoot accuratley.

Practice your draws from concealment every chance you get- Practice your stop-n-pops.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Front sight focus.

Shoot for accuracy and don't "rush" it to finish the stage quickly.

Use your CCW rig and practice draws with it.  I made the mistake of not doing that and in a non-stress range practice (not IDPA) I was using my retention holster and didn't realize I was not using my Fobus.

Have fun!

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Treat it like training, not a game.

Shoot for proper tactics and accuracy -- speed will come in the adrenaline dump of a real life situation.

I [i]always[/i] do tactical reloads before moving from cover.  Some, more interested in their "score" leave cover with almost empty guns and clear corners with 2 rounds left.  They have to do a slide lock reload standing in the middle of the doorway with 2 targets remaining.  I have enough rounds in my gun to take care of all the targets.

I shoot a single stack 1911, so I don't have the advantage of 10+ round mags.  I haven't used my Wilson Beaurocrat 10 round mags, though I might start to use it as a second mag this year.

I just try to stay nipping on the heels of the highcap guys and figure I'm doing okay (with lots of reloads).
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
caspian 1911 in .38 super
View Quote

These are a major issue for that gun.

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/145384/XLRSDHVPYVNSBEQLCXFI-mags1.jpg[/img]

IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember that IDPA is just a game. Pay no attention to the tactical posers who say otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't rush it.  You'll end up having more time added to your score than you would have if you just slowed down a little and aimed better.  Speed will come with experience.  That's what I'm working on.

Practice your draws, mag changes, and getting a sight picture quickly off the draw.  Let me know how it goes.  Have fun!  I just recently started myself and I love it!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any problem getting single stack 1911 mags.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT[/b]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remember that IDPA is just a game. Pay no attention to the tactical posers who say otherwise.
View Quote

I'll be the first to agree that IDPA will NOT take the place of formal training.  My point was simply that by treating IDPA like a "speed first" game (while using your game gun, not carry gun) you could be instilling bad habits.

Why not take it as an opportunity to practice good tactics and accuracy?  I will only try match the "scores" of those who "beat" me only when I'm not making HUGE tactical errors, like leaving cover without reloading.  This is among the "speed only" techniques I've seen.

"You will fight like you train so you must...."

Can anyone finish this quote for me?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top