Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 2:32:04 PM EDT
One would think that binoculars of a given aperture would be twice as good as a scope of the same aperture.  But I suspect this is not true.  Anybody know the scoop on this?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it boils down to practical application.  Which is better for detecting holes in paper at 200 yards?  Since part of the equation is 1 eye versus 2 eyes, it's not all the optics hardware, but which is the better system?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine took his brother in law deer hunting.
brother in law comments:
"I could see you all the way accros the field in your treestand."

"How could you see me that far away?"

"Uh, . . I was lookin' at you through the scope"

! ! ! !

He didn't get invited after that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
To oversimplify things a bit, binoculars are two scopes attached to each other!!

Binoculars are much more comfortable to use, especially for extended periods of time, since both eyes are being used.  I don’t believe there’s any substantial benefit to them beyond that.

My understanding is that resolution increases as aperature increases.  Thus a 60mm scope and a 60mm pair of binoculars should be the same.

IMHO, for looking at bullet holes at 200 yards (especially if you’ve got a black bullseye and/or you’re looking at .223 holes) a spotting scope is the only way to go.

I suspect one of those humongous tripod-mounted large-aperature binoculars like the military uses would also work, but they’re very bulky and horrendously expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top