Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 11:50:58 AM EDT
[b][size=4]Other view: Fleischer part of effort to silence dissent[/size=4][/b]

[i]Bee Editorial Staff
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Tuesday, May 27, 2003

When Ari Fleischer, President Bush's press secretary, recently announced that he was quitting his job, the press gave him a hearty send-off. Forgotten among the auld lang synes, though, [red]is the fact that Fleischer is the man who once tried to repeal the First Amendment.[/red]

A week after 9/11, "Politically Incorrect" host Bill Maher was, well, politically incorrect enough to say that flying a suicide mission is arguably less cowardly than "lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away." At his press briefing the next day, Fleischer went ballistic.

"All Americans need to watch what they say, watch what they do," he warned. Or else?

Unnervingly, Fleischer's views on free speech just might get the Supreme Court's blessing. Last March, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia -- [red]the justice who reversed the 2000 election results[/red] -- was asked about the erosion of civil liberties under the Patriot Act. Individual freedoms in this country are "way beyond what the Constitution requires," he responded, and in wartime, "the protections will be ratcheted right down to the minimum."[/i]

More at [url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/story/6740610p-7691729c.html[/url]

Some liberals still can't let Nov. 2000 go..... LOL

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
"...the fact that Fleischer is the man who once tried to repeal the First Amendment."

Wow, I guess I'm just not familiar with the complicated workings of our government.
I always thought that to ammend the Constitution, and certainly to repeal an ammendment, that there was a very complex and ardous process.
Apparently not.
A simple, flip, off the cuff comment is all it takes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget it, gentlemen. The Left WILL NOT accept GWB as the legitimate victor in 2000 EVER.

It's going to take him TROUNCING whatever loser the Dems can come up with to silence their whining. Even then, they'll claim that his "victory" put him in the position of incumbent, and thus at the advantage during 2004.

Let's face it folks, it's all they have against him...

...ain't it GREAT!!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
There should be consequences for those who speak out negatively against the leaders of our great democracy. A good start would be to adopt what many here advocate against dissenters and recruit them into organizations similar to those successfully fielded in El Salvador.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to love newspaper editors, dont you?  Good catch on this.  Hard to believe they can get away with this crap and still be taken seriously as professionals.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have every right to walk into a Boston Pub, during a Red Sox game, and start cheering for the Yankees.  
That's my right.
But people are going to think I'm an asshole.

If I'm the Best Man at a good friend's wedding, and rather than use my speach to wish the newlyweds well, I decide to go on an anti-Bush tirade...
...well that's my right, too.
But again, everyone will thoink I'm an asshole.

Go to a funeral an heckle the deceased's family.
It's your right.

Praise Al Qaeda and 911, loudly and with signs, in front of a FDNY firehouse.
It's your right.

People think that criticizing such speech is the same as violating their First Ammendment rights.
These peole are simply idiots who lack class.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
or brains....

Quoted:
There should be consequences for those who speak out negatively against the leaders of our great democracy. A good start would be to adopt what many here advocate against dissenters and recruit them into organizations similar to those successfully fielded in El Salvador.
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There should be consequences for those who speak out negatively against the leaders of our great democracy.
View Quote

There are. People think they are stupid assholes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top