Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 4:56:16 PM EDT
I just replaed the front disk brakes on my gals 1998 Jeep Cherokee. Was simple replace the pads and turn the rotors coz they were surging a bit.
I drove it a few miles after I finshed up and they were no sounds. Not after a couple days driving they are squealing like nothign I have ever heard. Whast the trick to stop that? Was there somethign I have forgotten to do. SOme minor procedure that I dont know about? Help me out guys. I want ot get these figured out before I leave town for a week with the vehicle
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you use use the grease on the back side of the pads?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs some anti-squeal applied to the back of the pads.

[url]http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouc.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=80729[/url]

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The pads will come with a little tube of goop.  Did you make sure that you put the goop on the back of the pad before you installed them into the caliper?  If not, get some disk brake quiet at the auto parts store, pull the pads and apply.  Also, have you bled the system?  Surging is usually not a pad problem but either a warped rotor or bad fluid/air in the lines.  If the fluid is fouled, it can cause the caliper to not properly release.  Speaking of which, did you lube the caliper slides?  if not, then the passive side (pad opposite the caliper piston) can remain pressed against the rotor causing excessive wear and you could have already worn that side of the brake down.  What kind of pad did you use?  Some semi metallic pads will squeek no matter what you do.  Too much to list.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
They were Raybestos pads. and they did not come with any kind of lube. That I have never seen any pads come with. Ive replaced brakes on quite a few cars and trucks, but this is the worst I have ever heard them squeal. Ill go get some lube and try that. I guess it really does work?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top