Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 12:37:16 PM EDT
Anyone here ever try Thai food? I'm taking someone to a thai restaurant and want to know what to expect. Is it similar to chinese? Is it real spicy like Indian food(which sucks by the way)? Is it ,'MMM thats flavorful' spicy or handstand-in-the-shower spicy? Any newbie dishes that can be recommended would be appreciated.

-M
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
When it done right it's VERY GOOD.

Try Pad Thai and/or Me Grub (noodles and stuff).

I like the Red Curry.  It has no relationship to the Indian stuff, so don't worry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second the recommendation for Pad Thai.

Good stuff.  You'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like Japanese food(I'm not eating what I use for bait),Chinese is ok but Thai food is great!!They use lots of coconut milk and peanuts(Satay).You should love it.It's flavorfull spicy.Pad Thai,Toong Thong and Chicken Satay are all good.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thai food is excellent. I alway order this soup made with chicken, ginger, coconut milk, lemon grass, veggies, etc..forgot what it's called but that is really something to look forward to. Also order Thai iced tea! mmmmmm![^]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The only time I tried thai food, it was pretty good. As I recall, there was a lot of peanut stuff in everything whole, butter, sauce, soup etc. Also there was a lot of coconut, cilantro, basil and clear noodles. Make sure you order a bunch of different things. Us Asians like to have a lot of dishes and mix flavors.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to say of all Asian cuisines, Thai is my hands down favorite! Shrimp pad thai, the hotter the better. Wash it down with a good Thai beer, Singa or beer Chang.

Nothing at all like Indian food which is one of the few ethnic foods I dislike greatly.
S/F
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Try some Larb Gai as an appeitizer.

Don't get Pad Thai...it's too boring. Try some of the curries.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#8]
VERY good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of the most delicious cuisine on earth.  After I'm done eating at my favorite Thai restaurant, I'm actually HIGH from all the endorphins being released into by brain.  It's like that light-headed high you get after a good run.  I get that from eating Thai food.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't like Japanese food(I'm not eating what I use for bait),Chinese is ok but Thai food is great!!They use lots of coconut milk and peanuts(Satay).You should love it.It's flavorfull spicy.Pad Thai,Toong Thong and Chicken Satay are all good.  
View Quote

Man are you closed minded and ignorant.  Japanese cuisine includes much more than Sushi/Sashimi.  Although heavy in seafood and rice, Japan has excellent dishes that are cooked.  And since you are so biased against Sushi dishes (note that the crap that you get in most restaurants in the US is not really sushi.  I never had a california roll in Japan)  Please note that all shellfish is cooked.  So crab, shrimp, lobster are all cooked.  Tempura (foods fried in a light batter) is one of my wifes favorite food.  I love the broiled eel.  So don't crack on anyones cuisine, learn a little more about it first. And since you love Thai so much, make sure it didn't bark or meow before it got cooked.

Now back to the original subject...  Some thai dishes are extremely spicy.  For the most part, I like thai cuisine.  Watch out for the snow peas and if they have a buffet, believe it when it is labled as hot.  I had a friend at Bragg that just finished a tour in Korea.  I take all my new guys out to lunch to get to know them.  Took him to a thai restaurant and he tried the snow peas.  I warned him but he said that he loves hot food.  It took 2 pitchers of ice tea to put out the fire on his tongue from one bite of the snow peas.  So, the moral of the story is, the food is great, just watch out for labels that say hot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
It is beyond good, it is excellent!!!  As to the level of hot/spicieness, you control that when you order.  Most will offer 1 star, 2 star, 3 star (mild to hot) on the appropriate dishes.
You and your date are in for a real treat.  Be sure to order some Thai ice tea to go with the meal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Just had some green curry on Friday....yummy

t
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the replies. Im not a real spicy-food eater but this girl is. She puts extra hot sauce on already spicy foods. Nothing like a hot latin chick that loves hot food. Thanks again.

-M

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Thai food would be ok if they don't go crazy with the peanuts.  Peanut sauce on my little appetizer cabbage(I think) salad.  Peanut sauce to dip my eggroll in.  Peanuts all over my chicken+curry+rice+avacodo dinner.  I mean come on, peanuts with avacodo?  Yuck!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in Port Chester, near White Plains.

Wave, you ever heard of Tangerine on W10th st? Thats were I planned on going.

-m
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Thai food any good?
View Quote

Flashback, 2 weeks ago.

Wife and I are at "Pink Pepper" in Mesa.  I finish up my "Sizzling steak" with incredible hot chili sauce. As soon as I was done, maybe three minutes went by before I had to make a run for the bathrooms.  I hurled.  My stomach started gnawing in pain for what seemed to be the worst abdominal pain in my life.

All good right bro's???

No.  I hurled on the way home on the side of the road.  The pain did not go away.

The pain stayed on.

Went home and hurled anything - everything - water, juice, chicken soup, nothing stayed down.

The worst thing was not the vomit though, it was the constant pain.  Three days later I was admitted into Desert Samaritan and that was not much fun.  But finally the pain stopped and they finally gave me a drug called protonix that really helped.

I lost 14 lbs.

I will NEVER EAT ANY [red]FUCKING THAI FOOD AGAIN.[/red]

no matter how much I love it!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Tangerine
$$
Loc: 228 W. 10th St. (bet. Hudson & Bleeker)
Tel: (212) 463-8585
Cuisine: Thai
Area: Greenwich Village

thats off the NYC website.

-m

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL.

Sorry Satcong. I was on protonix earlier this year for a bleeding ulcer. Hmm......

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone here ever try Thai food? I'm taking someone to a thai restaurant and want to know what to expect. Is it similar to chinese? Is it real spicy like Indian food(which sucks by the way)? Is it ,'MMM thats flavorful' spicy or handstand-in-the-shower spicy? Any newbie dishes that can be recommended would be appreciated.

-M
View Quote

Thai food is VERY good. Pad Thai is a good beginner dish, not spicy, but sweet. Try the green and red curry. Like someone else said, it's not related to Indian food. Also, if they have Tom Kha Kai soup, GET IT. It's coconut, lime juice, lemongrass, chicken, etc, etc. It's VERY good. And how can you NOT like Indian food! I love that stuff!!! Mmmm Vindaloo and Do Piaza mmmmm.

Fly Navy
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The Thai food I have had is AWESOME!

I was working a subcontract at Plum Island last year, and staying in New London CT. There was a Thai restaurant in town, which I tried my first week there.  I could've gone to any of the Lobster houses in town, but I just kept going back to try additional Thai dishes at that same restaurant.  

Now, if only there were some friggin' culture around this place, there might be a local Thai place I could frequent.............
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#23]
The only thing wrong with Thai food, is that it's over priced.  I guess it's the "in" Asian restaurant.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#24]
It's very good, and very hot too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Thai food is wonderful.  I've had it both at restaurants and prepared by some thai friends at their house.  good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Man are you closed minded and ignorant.  Japanese cuisine includes much more than Sushi/Sashimi.  Although heavy in seafood and rice, Japan has excellent dishes that are cooked.  And since you are so biased against Sushi dishes (note that the crap that you get in most restaurants in the US is not really sushi.....blah blah blah  
View Quote

Damn,Throttle back on the crack pipe buckwheat.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#27]
the only thing worse than japanese food is korean food

[puke]

thai food is great
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#29]
i like this place better

Little Basil
39 Greenwich Avenue
New York, NY 10014

try the crispy duck salad,spicy crab spring rolls, and the whole crispy seabass

excellent
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[puke]

thai food is great
View Quote

Korean food is great, if u know what to order.
i take my nephews to a place in Queens where they have a barbeque in the middle of the table and u cook ribs and pork loin, sirloin, chicken etc

maybe dog and cat if u prefer
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
[b]Indian food is the greatest food on the planet.[/b]

You cannot go to an Indian restaurant and decide you don't like it.  India is a huge country, which is pretty much a bunch of states untied under one nation...but those states have very differnt cultures and very differnt styles of cooking.  Try differnet places, because they all have differnet styles.

If you are ever in need of any physical healing, get some lamb vindaloo.  Whether it be a cold, flu, hangover, depression, etc., it will get you good as new.

As for Thai food, well it's in a tie for a close second with Vietnamese food behind Indian food.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[b]Indian food is the greatest food on the planet.[/b]

You cannot go to an Indian restaurant and decide you don't like it.  India is a huge country, which is pretty much a bunch of states untied under one nation...but those states have very differnt cultures and very differnt styles of cooking.  Try differnet places, because they all have differnet styles.

If you are ever in need of any physical healing, get some lamb vindaloo.  Whether it be a cold, flu, hangover, depression, etc., it will get you good as new.

As for Thai food, well it's in a tie for a close second with Vietnamese food behind Indian food.
View Quote

i like most indian food, but some of it tastes too much like eating a bowl of potpouri to me

the "nan" (don't know how to spell it) bread is good

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I got to be good friends with a guy from Malaysia in college. Those people have some good food.

seemed like a mix of indian and chineese food
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[puke]

thai food is great
View Quote

Korean food is great, if u know what to order.
i take my nephews to a place in Queens where they have a barbeque in the middle of the table and u cook ribs and pork loin, sirloin, chicken etc

maybe dog and cat if u prefer
View Quote

the bbq meat dishes are the only ones i can tolerate

everything else has cabbage [puke] or tastes like a minnow bucket that was left out in the sun for too long

and "kim chee" [puke][puke][puke]

i had a korean room mate in college. this bastard kept a jar of that shit in our fridge. the room would stink for days every time he opened that foul shit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#35]
thai food is excellent there not kidding when the say HOT.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]
[b]i had a korean room mate in college. this bastard kept a jar of that shit in our fridge. the room would stink for days every time he opened that foul shit.[/b]

thats funny shit

I owned a liquor store in Korea Town , Flushing Queens, right near Shea stadium
I heard stories that they would bury clay pots filled with Kim Chee in their backyards, to give as dowrys. The longer it sat the hotter it got
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Thai food in large quanties and Thai hot!

For a beginner try the Pud Thai or the
Padseew, a flat noodle dish.

Red, green, or yellow curries are fantastic.

Fresh spring rolls with shrimp and pork are good starters as would be the Lard Na, a spicy salad.

You know it's good when you need a towel to wipe the sweat off your face before you leave, but your mouth is not burning at all.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Very Very good.

oz
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#40]
After reading all of this I need to go check out a Thai restaurant.  Sounds great.

When I was in the UK I'd go to Indian restaurants- at least they don't boil all of the flavor out of the food!

I like my sushi breaded & deep fried.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#41]
THAI food is excellent cuisine! [:)]
but I do notice it costs a little more and they
give smaller servings than other asian restaurants? Chinese / Vietnamese restaurants
are cheaper and they give you a more generous
serving.

If you like grilled meat, rice, hot & spicey
dishes, you should like Thai food, it's a lot
different than standard Chinese foods like chow
mein or fried rice, etc. Thai food has  very
exotic unique flavors, nothing like east Indian
food at all.

BTW I do enjoy east Indian food too once in a
while, I like a large serving of Basmati rice
with curry chicken vindaloo [chicken stew] over
it and some fresh nan flat bread, Lamb stew is
also good, but since Indian food is so seasoned
I cant eat it too often.

I noticed Burmese & Cambodian food is also
similiar to THAI.

Vietnamese food is less spicy, more like Chinese foods.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're ever in St.Louis, go to "The King and I" on south Grand.

Wonderfull.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Lady Rain and I are both reasonably decent cooks, and hate eating out where the food isn't better than what we can make. Our Italian, American, whatever traditional foods usually rival what we can buy out. For that reason we tend to eat Thai, Vietnamese and Indian when we go out.  We like it hot, but she has 'teen's and we get wimpy for them. It's all good. You just need to know what you need and order accordingly.
We tend to cook a lot of Thai at home too, but we are still learning,  and we get more elaborate dishes out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Machine,
There is a good Thai Rest in Mamaroneck, NY. Forgot the name but it's close to a marina and park on a main road. There are also some in Greenwich, CT which is probably closer to u.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Chile mint or is that Mint chile, chicken or beef. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I really like the thai chicken the local japanese fast food place sells. It is grilled chicken, sliced carrots, cabbage, and really hot/sweet sauce over rice.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top