Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 9:45:37 AM EDT
Just filed for unemployment today.  Friday was my last day.

The economy here sucks.  I have interest from Albuquerque, and my family is seriously considering making the move west.

Just venting.

Biggun
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry to hear it, Denver isn't so hot either.

luck....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel for you friend.  Good luck with it.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to Albuquerque. I left NJ and went to New Mexico. I now live in Texas and would never go back to NJ. Good luck. John
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, The economy still sucks...I was laid off in march.  I had a real promising interview on friday...wish me luck!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you do?  Vegas is always hiring.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a sign. [:D] Get out of the east. Find a lower population, fewer commies...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the boat. Have a seat, if you can find an open one, and take a number.

I heard all the good jobs are taken in Vegas. Nothing left but min' wage stuff. True?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I am a certified medical laboratory technician, but all of my experience since I graduated from Penn State has been either environmental bioremediation or chem/bio defense related.

I have a few calls to make tomorrow a.m., I hope all goes well.  I know I can get something around here to eek out a living, but I want to stay within my professional arena for long-term work.  Believe me, if I need to I will go back to Walmart in a heartbeat (I worked 3rd shift there to get through college) if it comes to it. I'm just trying to find a position in my field.  Albuquerque sounds very promising, I just hope they don't try to lowball the salary or I can't justify relocating.

I wish you other guys out of work the best of luck as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The economy here sucks.  I have interest from Albuquerque, and my family is seriously considering making the move west.
Just venting.
Biggun
View Quote

Hmmm. The Chinese don't seem to have any unemployment problems.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just venting.
Biggun
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, we're buying everything they can make.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever is going on is strange, some have more work than they can handle, like construction, others can not find work, I am mystified. I see people spending money like water at stores, so they are making it. I have no idea what is going on, good luck to you and yours.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Strangely enough but I have heard that Mexico has unemployment problems related to China. Maybe we need another NAFTA/GATT to solve our problems(read:sarcasm).
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am a certified medical laboratory technician, but all of my experience since I graduated from Penn State has been either environmental bioremediation or chem/bio defense related.

I have a few calls to make tomorrow a.m., I hope all goes well.  I know I can get something around here to eek out a living, but I want to stay within my professional arena for long-term work.  Believe me, if I need to I will go back to Walmart in a heartbeat (I worked 3rd shift there to get through college) if it comes to it. I'm just trying to find a position in my field.  Albuquerque sounds very promising, I just hope they don't try to lowball the salary or I can't justify relocating.

View Quote

Check out [url]www.bannerhealth.com[/url]

you might just find something in Colorado [:)] or elsewhere out west
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could this possibly be useful to Homeland security dept.? Or some state/local emergency agency? Or medical outfit?

View Quote

The best to you and yours, this could be an opportunity for all!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Be thankful you had a job to get fired from.

I wish I had that much.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Know nothing of the business, but, I know environmental bioremediation (problems with over development and waste disposal) is becoming a thing here in Florida. Got any contacts down here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Liberty86,

I actually performed some subcontract research for DoD in the past, and it was very well received by the higher ups.  I have been pursuing that avenue, but no luck as of yet.

Benny,

I didn't say that I wasn't, but I was only back for six months, and that isn't nearly enough time for recovery from the six months prior to that when I was laid off before.

ScrubJ,

I don't have any direct contacts in Florida.  I submitted a joint proposal with a large government subcontractor for a large project that was supposed to take place at Eglin this fall, but the funding was rerouted due to the war.  It amounts to bad timing for subbing to DoD more than anything else.

You are correct about the bio in FL.  I have heard that it will be booming in the next few years.  With the loose, sandy soils there, aerobic bio works very well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Good luck to all.I went though 9 months unemployed [airline industury]so I feel for ya.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Coz.

Yeah, since last Thursday I think I may have slept about 10 hours total.  My wife is fantastic though.  She and my two sons are what keep me going through everything.  

My wife put up with my moody ass six months last year when I was laid off, and she told me last week not to worry, she'll do it again if that's what needs done.  She is definitely the better part of me.

Well, I filed for benefits Sunday, so if there are no FUBARs I should get a check in about a month.

I have some calls to make this afternoon.  I am really hoping that this is short term and not another six-month ordeal.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't feel too bad.  In one year I worked for Enron, Dynegy and WorldComm.

Started feeling like the kiss of death for any one I worked for.  Now I'm supporting myself with freelance work, but still looking for someone to hire me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Sorry to hear the bad luck.  Just wait for some future scummy employer asking why you left the 2 jobs in under a year?  Be sure to explain the situation.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#23]
You computer types should post in the local papers.It's cheap and people love reading the ads.

Something like:
"Semi-retired computer professional will build or maintain such and such systems reasonbly."

Never put down something that will make you sound desperate;laid-off,fired, etc.

There is always someone out there that needs computer work.And, if you do good work word of mouth spreads quickly.

I know it may not pay all the bills but it should keep a roof over your house and food on the table.

I became self-employed six years ago and have NOT looked back.I have customers from all over the world that email me first asking if I have xyz in stock or can I find it.

Good-luck guys.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Check these guys out. I have friends that work for them and they are growing, and growing, and growing. Plus it seems to be up your alley too. It is located right next to the University of Utah (just east of downtown SLC) campus, that has a heavy intrest in biomed businesses.

[url]www.aruplab.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Strangely enough but I have heard that Mexico has unemployment problems related to China. Maybe we need another NAFTA/GATT to solve our problems(read:sarcasm).
View Quote

you really think foreign labor is to blame for joblessness on the home front?  try automated shipping, inventory control, and the gentle phasing-out of middle management.

we don't have jobs because there are no job roles to fill, not because miguel is doing it for 5 cents an hour in mexico city.

try this example out:  in israel, manufacturing firms became concerned w/ the security risks of using palestinian labor.  they then automated their factories.  so, lot's of palestinians out of work - no big deal.  but then it became obvious that the inefficientcy of a tiered corporate heirarchy was the biggest time drain in the entire product lifecycle.

so they squashed the pyramid to bring the decision making closer to the shop floor.  systematic logging of best practices and an instantaneous response from the new workers allowed for the need of many human decisions to be removed.

the result was many hundreds of thousands of skilled israelites ending up unemployed.  thank god for a responsive unemployment system and representational taxation, huh?  yeah, too bad. we don't get that here.

we get bloated corporations, skipping out on taxes ([url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2939966.stm[/url]), recording record profits, laying off 80% of their workforce, and waiting for us to die quietly.

f*ck getting another job.  the very idea of a job is antiquated.  load your rifles, take what you need, have a plan.

it's called survival of the fittest.  stop waiting around for some h.r. fairy to throw you some scraps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top