Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 7:11:43 AM EDT
i totally forgot about it and it was not noticed during the carry on X-Ray screen at Houston Hobby and DFW airports!  makes me feel safe.        

[img]http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/regularimages/670967.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean you forgot about it until you got home?

You made it on the plane with it?

Holy Cow!

Oh yeah, I forgot, they only confiscate nail clippers and tweezers.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
A cross-cut saw with about a 5-inch blade and they didn't even see it?

[peep]

Glad you didn't get arrested or lose your tool, 308.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
A guy in Columbus Ohio not long after 9/11 carried a knife made into his belt buckle onto a plane and then when he returned home he informed the airport as well as the news stations he carried the knife on the plane.[%|]
He was later arrested.
I am like the other guys glad you did not loose your Gerber or get into any trouble, but I sure would do my best not to forget it or something like it was in my carry on bag.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I forgot, they only confiscate nail clippers and tweezers.

View Quote

And my mustache scissors.
Glad ya made it home with that, 308.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]

What the hell ya' need a knife like THAT for???

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the hell ya' need a rifle like THAT for???
Ain't no one needs a 30 round clip!  If it don't have a wood stock, it's useless.  Is dat one of them assault rahfles?  

Sorry.

No, oops, actually, i'm not.

All in fun.  Just a little fed up with some bonehead rednecks around here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago a friend of mine, a retired NY cop, went with me to the Raleigh/Durham airport to take a tour group of kids to catch a plane. He walked right through the metal detectors with a S&W Chiefs Special in his pocket. He said he forgot to leave it in the bus. I told him to watch for terrorists with AK-47s boarding the plane.....

When the tour group left Frankfurt, Germany to return to the states, they left one week to the day before the departure lounge at Frankfurt Airport was bombed.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never had a CCW with me on a plane(too young), but this past summer I DID get through with a swiss army knife in my pocket... Also with a handfull of firecrackers that I didnt even know were there until I got home.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

it'a a saw for bones and small trees.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]
They were probably too busy looking for people who try to sneak fire onto the plane.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I feel safer all the time.

I keep a 10" model in the backpack all the time.

Never know when you might have to cut some wood
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Just whaT I would expect from a bunch of federal idiots.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I always wondered if the orientation of the blade might make it harder to see, like if the blade was close to parallel with the direction that the x-rays go through. Or if you could rig up some ordinary-looking object that would effectively shield it.

Don't you feel safe now?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Years back I flew into Japan with my field gear.  I had a SOG survival knife in my duffel.  At customs, the guy asks me if I have any weapons in my gear.  I tell him no.  Well, he dumps my duffel and finds the knife.  He asks me what that is.  I tell him it is a knife.  He asks if I consider it a weapon.  I tell him no, it is a tool.  He threatens to confiscate it.  I ask if he will confiscate the pens and pencils I have with me too.  He asks why.  I tell him that I can kill him just as quickly with those tools as I can the knife.  About that time the Captain shows up.  (this guy was an Air Force e-4 trying to act big because he gets to check peoples gear)  He tells the Capt that I have a weapon and an attitude.  The Captain asks to see the weapon.  He looks at the airman and tells him that is a tool and to quit trying to mess with me.  Airman looks a little flabbergasted.  Captain explains SOCOM patch on my sleeve and that we are not to be messed with.  According to him I could walk through there with an M72A2 LAW in one hand and a 16 in the other and they can't say anything.  Apparently the SOCOM aura meant something to him.  Of course, this was all well before 9/11 but we (troops in my unit) used to have fun carrying bayonets, survival knives, side arms and M16s through airports when we went TDY.  Ah, the good old days flying on a commercial air liner with an M16 between your knees....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Several years ago I flew from Pittsburgh to San Antonio then to Denver then to Seattle. At each terminal I went thru passenger screening at least once. At the Seattle terminal  I missed my flight so in my wanderings I actully went thru security FOUR times. I was wearing a fanny pack  which contained the usual cd player  batteries and a butterfly knife. It was no accident, in my youthful ignorance I simply didn't realize that you were not allowed to carry on a plane. Yes there were signs here and there saying no guns (duh) but never one that mentioned knives. Besides I wasn't even trying to conceal it it was in the bag and it went thru the x-ray machine. Well the fourth time I went thru the  gaurd got a funny look on his face(probably cause he recognized me from the othere THREE times I went thru) and said  "Can I look in your bag."   Sure no sweat whatever you want.  Next thing I know he is calling airport Police.   After the usual interrogation and scare tactics I was informed  that not only is it illegal to cary on board but butterfly knives are illegal in Washington State. The officers informed me that they are going to have to "confiscate and destroy" my weapon and that they are doing me a big favor for only issuing  me a FAA ticket  for attempting to board a plane with a weapon, because a butterfly knife is a felony in Washington.   So after yet another reassuring encounter with the police that I am well protected, I returned to Alaska (God, Why did I leave?!)   Oh and no one would tell me why the signs that said no guns didnt mention anything about knives.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course it's a tool.  Recommended for carryin gwhile rock-climbing in the Rockies, carry it in the pouch with the tourniquet.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were probably too busy looking for people who try to sneak fire onto the plane.  [:D]
View Quote

True.
View Quote

It's the weapon of choice for criminals.

Funny thing is, everyone knows that you can't bring fire onto a plane.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you made it back without those shiny bracelets.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Atleast it wasnt Fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top