Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/24/2016 6:36:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas.  That is the last place I expected to see that happen.  I was guessing California
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Insanity.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Most of GD will not read the article.

Most of GD will be outraged.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Call me silly, but it sounds like Republic Waste should be on the hook as they purchased the property.
If the wood was their prior to Republic's purchase then they should have made an issue of it prior to the
purchase.

Lawyers and Politicians, we should rid ourselves of them all after the reset.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
This shit right here is how you get killdozered. Fuck those lawyers and politicians.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My aunt and uncle had an old house in Flower Mound. My uncle went into the hospital for 6 months and died of cancer. Well my aunt never left his side and rarely went home. About a year after he died 2 Flower Mound police officers showed up with a warrant for his arrest for failing to maintain his yard and not paying the fines. She went and got his urn with his cremated ashes in it and said, you guys can have but you have to promise to to bring hm back when you are done with him. I hate that city.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
"Earnest W. Wotring, a Houston attorney who is handling the lawsuit for Hunt County, said in an email that the wood on the property tested positive for asbestos, arsenic and lead."  I suspect that pretty much all wood, including fresh-cut pine, would test positive  for asbestos, arsenic and lead if your testing threshold were low enough.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
A lawsuit that could have been avoided with a few gallons of diesel and motor oil and a pare burner.

eta: If he'd known about it, anyways.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's an Arizona law firm that was run out-of-town shaking down small businesses for violation of the federal Americans with Disability laws ... hundreds of small stores and restaurants paid bucks to them to leave them alone.
View Quote

Disgusting.

Some day people like that are going to shake down the wrong guy. Or at least I hope they do.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This shit right here is how you get killdozered. Fuck those lawyers and politicians.
View Quote

Not saying I agree with it, but I certainly understand and would vote accordingly if I was on a jury.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dick the Butcher.....is that you?

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Disgusting.

Some day people like that are going to shake down the wrong guy. Or at least I hope they do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's an Arizona law firm that was run out-of-town shaking down small businesses for violation of the federal Americans with Disability laws ... hundreds of small stores and restaurants paid bucks to them to leave them alone.

Disgusting.

I remember a story where a town got sick of a bully (very real sense of the term, not just your garden-variety douchebag). He ended up getting murdered in broad daylight in public, and nobody said a thing. Still no suspects.

I wish things like that would happen more often.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just lawyers being lawyers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a simple way to fix this:

If loser had to pay, lots of this type of rap would disappear post haste.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Between this and the democrats sit in bullshit, if I woke up one morning and the news was going nuts with breaking news stories about politicians or small town tyrants getting tared and feathered I'd smile and make a whiskey drink
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I hate lawyers.  Got some experience working for Pitney Bowes out of college, decided never again.  Every discussion was a cross examination and the ego aspect was off the charts.  

When I sold for an IT firm years later the owner always busted my balls about how rich the accounts could be.  I pushed back and he "made" me take his lawyer friend on as a client.  We did a simple mail/proxy server install and cut over.  They demanded our people work with their IT expert/secretary.  Her "help" slowed the install and migration from a 36 hour job to 72 over the weekend into Monday.  They billed us for the down time at his rates....we never sought law firms again.  All lawyers are scum (local penguins excused of course )
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Texas.  That is the last place I expected to see that happen.  I was guessing California
View Quote

Texans pitch a good game but they have issues like everyone else. 7 of their Congressmen just spent a night sitting on the floor for gun control.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Truck loads of cleanup sounds a bit more than just a simple wood pile. I've dealt with some of these shitty towns when I lived in TX too. So I'm going with the usual assholes collide scenario.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A lawsuit that could have been avoided with a few gallons of diesel and motor oil and a pare burner.

View Quote

The county would come out and write you a ticket for an illegal burn, send the sheriff and the county environmental officer out to write you, even more tickets if there was anything other than fresh cut wood in it.
It has turned into another way for the counties to generate money in the name of environmental protection.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would have been a suit for millions.

Everything is bigger in Texas, so when we do insane lawsuits, we go all the way and use the B.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Disgusting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgusting.

Sounds like the Travor Asshole Law Group that got ran out of California and the lawyers had to surrender their legal licenses to avoid a State Bar smack down.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Yay Texas. Yay lawyers.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Like I should really give two shits about a woodpile in Tejas.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#25]
GD not reading as usual. Just a clickbait title.

Wotring said it would be up to a jury to decide how much in fines should be assessed. The range is $50 to $25,000 per day, he said.

"Hunt County has not taken the position in the lawsuit that Grady is liable for $2 billion in penalties," he said.

60 truckloads.  This was not a pile of firewood for the winter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Removal by the truckloads sounds like a lot.

But a wood pile? Seriously? Come on people.....get a life.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
GD not reading as usual. Just a clickbait title.

Wotring said it would be up to a jury to decide how much in fines should be assessed. The range is $50 to $25,000 per day, he said.

"Hunt County has not taken the position in the lawsuit that Grady is liable for $2 billion in penalties," he said.

60 truckloads.  This was not a pile of firewood for the winter.
View Quote

60 truckloads of wood. WOOD. That biodegradable shit that falls off of trees in the wilderness. WOOD.

I've worked in environmental cleanup. Emphasis on MENTAL. Trace amounts of shit can screw a site. Concentration averaging is your friend if the .gov thugs are paying for the cleanup, but if Joe Public is on the hook, they can just fuck him deep, and sans lube. That's exactly whats happening here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I remember a story where a town got sick of a bully (very real sense of the term, not just your garden-variety douchebag). He ended up getting murdered in broad daylight in public, and nobody said a thing. Still no suspects.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgusting.

That's retarded.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought there were laws in place to prevent excessive.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's retarded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"Earnest W. Wotring, a Houston attorney who is handling the lawsuit for Hunt County, said in an email that the wood on the property tested positive for asbestos, arsenic and lead."  I suspect that pretty much all wood, including fresh-cut pine, would test positive  for asbestos, arsenic and lead if your testing threshold were low enough.
View Quote

trees pick up stuff out of the soil and inculcate it into their fibers...
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#33]
looks like around 4 cords maybe...one dump truck and a skid steer with bucket and it would be gone
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Good luck collecting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Good article on this in the WSJ

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pay-to-play-goes-to-court-1466118796

The principles Mr. Grady invokes are well established in the courts. In Berger v. U.S (1935), the Supreme Court wrote that a prosecutor’s job isn’t to guarantee that the government “win a case, but that justice shall be done.” Addressing the use of private lawyers, the High Court wrote in Young v. United States ex rel. Vuitton et Fils S.A. (1987) that private attorneys “should be as disinterested as a public prosecutor who undertakes such a prosecution.”

There are few less disinterested lawyers than those seeking big tort paydays. The contingency-fee model is pitched as a bargain to taxpayers who don’t have to pay up front, but one check on excessive prosecution is limited resources. Prosecutors normally have to decide to bring the best cases against the worst violators.

When government makes the trial bar a business partner, the incentive shifts to bringing suits that offer the biggest potential settlements or verdicts. The goal becomes the private payday, not justice in the public interest. This trial lawyer-government business model is widespread, so Mr. Grady’s suit is one to watch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh joy, we are moving to hunt county!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the wood pile or for the private law firm's office?

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do like the cut of your giblet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder what kind of wood it was? Like was it firewood like in the picture, or was it scrap lumber from some demolition projects.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I wonder what kind of wood it was? Like was it firewood like in the picture, or was it scrap lumber from some demolition projects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm wondering as well.  It reads like demolition scrap, but they use a picture of obviously fresh split firewood.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#41]
$950/hr!

I'm doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bud knows GD.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I keep reading that Texas is a free state........
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgusting.

King City, MO.

Heard the story from a guy I worked with who was from there and whose family was one victimized by the thug.  Somehow when he told the story I got the idea that he was one of the townsfolk who knew a lot more than the official story.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

King City, MO.

Heard the story from a guy I worked with who was from there and whose family was one victimized by the thug.  Somehow when he told the story I got the idea that he was one of the townsfolk who knew a lot more than the official story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disgusting.

King City, MO.

Even had it's own movie.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102106/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_95
Dennehy plays the part of an asshole very well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#46]

It is split enough to dry in time.  Just stack it and give it some time to dry before burning.

I would take a few truckloads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I read the article and I'm still outraged. It appears that the local government is shaking down residents and businesses through outside counsel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Be be fair, this law allowed for private law firms to make faster settlements in government cases for a fee, which is pro business, and pro competition which is the very spirit of Texas. However in the land of the lawsuit that we currently live, the system is being abused. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#49]
How the hell do some lawyers sleep at night or look at themselves in the mirror?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How the hell do some lawyers sleep at night or look at themselves in the mirror?
View Quote

Money cures all
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top