Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 6:24:08 PM EDT
I was at the auto parts store the other day, and came across a do it yourself "brush" in bedliner. similiar to the Rhino spray in liner.

It didn't look like it would be that difficult to do, and was about $90.

Has anyone tried this at all? Or heard of anyone who has?

It seems like an ok idea, but would hate to fuck it up.

And how would something like this affect trade in and resale value?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Toying with the idea myself at the moment, but to get the interior of an open boat coated.
Here's a report from another user I've found using Google:

Posted by Ludwig on March 06, 2000 at 11:41:54

About the bedliner. The Herculiner is actually a paint on, they give you a roller, a paint brush, a scuffer, and a gallon of the goop for $100.
First I went around with my dremel with a grinder and hit any bubbly paint, rust spots, whatnot. Then take the scuffer and scuff all the paint 'till its not shiny any more. Then clean everything with water. Then clean everything with acetone.(I used nailpolish remover)
Then you start with the brush in all the corners. You dab rather than paint the goop on. It has rubber grains right in the liquid so you want to make sure they make it onto the bed. You have to stir to goop alot too.
Then you take the roller and roll the big areas. Let it dry overnight, then pick the leaves out and put on a second coat.
Slickern snot!
Actually it makes a very solid tread when you're finished, no more sliding wood and stuff across the bed. Mine seems to be good. I took almost as long prepping as I did painting, and I think thats important.
The only part that isn't great is the top edge of the tailgate, I was in a hurry and didn't scuff as well as I should have, so come spring I'm going to do that part over.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthread.php3?s=57bff00971c81400378e50f5963c81df&threadid=14228&highlight=bed+liner]A Few Tips[/url]

[url=http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthread.php3?s=57bff00971c81400378e50f5963c81df&threadid=12061&highlight=bed+liner]A Few More[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Skip it. The pro job lays down 3/16 of an inch of plastic. The roll on is more like an adhesive paint filled with "chunks". While the home made version may "rough up" the bed, it'll never compare to a good professional job. Plus it will actually [i]detract[/i] from the resale of the vehicle if you do it yourself. The pro job is a whole different animal, and it will add value to your truck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]

While the pros like Rhino Liner are great, the cos of $700 and up are a little high. If it was on a new truck perhaps, but on a older oe like mine I stuck with the $100 home job. Just plan on doubling the amount of material to use, and surface prep is everything. DON'T CUT CORNERS.  fullclip

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I see where Bondo Corp. has a new roll on bed liner. The people at Popular Mechanics Magazine used it on a project truck and were enthused with the results. I don't know and haven't been able to find what the stuff costs though. If someone knows please post the price, I'd appreciate it.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While the pros like Rhino Liner are great, the cos of $700 and up are a little high. If it was on a new truck perhaps, but on a older oe like mine I stuck with the $100 home job. Just plan on doubling the amount of material to use, and surface prep is everything. DON'T CUT CORNERS.  fullclip

View Quote

It`s around $350 last I heard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I used the $100 Herculiner kit purchased from my local Tractor Supply to line the inside of my Jeep after I got tired of cleaning mud out of the carpet.  

Install was relatively simple.  Everything was removed from the interior, then I sanded/scuffed all the metal that was going to be coated, wiped it down with acetone, masked off want I didn't want coated, and then gooped the stuff on.  Actually applying the stuff was the easist part, most of the install time is going to be the prep work.  How well you prep the surface is going to determine how well it sticks.  

You MUST wear gloves, long sleeves, and pants when dealing with the stuff, and the clothes need to be ones you won't care about throwing away afterwards.  The liner material can't be gotten out of clothing, and will take around two weeks to come off your skin.  There was a post floating around some of the 4wd boards awhile back from a guy who stopped to take a piss while applying the stuff and got it all over his dick. [shock]

I coated the inside of my Jeep almost three years ago, and it has held up pretty well.  Overall I like it, but I don't know if the coating the DIY kits give would be thick enough to stand up to the kind of beating a truck bed is going to take.  I'm not throwing/sliding  concrete blocks, lumber, etc, etc in and out of the back of my Jeep on a regular basis.

If you decide to go with the DIY kit make sure you get the Herculiner or Durabak kits.  From what I've heard the others, like Duplicolor, are just paint.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my last Ram Professionally done- cost was $375. A buddy just had his Dakota done last week- $350- and its a damn nice job too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Two years ago, when I bought my Tacoma, I nearly shit myself when I paid $350 for the "over the rail" job.

If I were to buy a new truck today, I'd do it again.

Ladders, pipe, hot barrels, and what not hanging over the side of the bedrails, and to this day, the truck looks like new.

[url]www.linex.com[/url]

edited to [i] hotlink [/i]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Shamus,
If you are on a budget, roll your own.
Sportsman's Guide has RustOleum on sale for $29/gallon.  I bought two gallons.

I applied the first gallon to my Ranger's bed after extensive prep, and let it cure two weeks, and then applied the second gallon.  It has been on about a month, and looks great over the rails.  I have hauled pipes and other heavy/sharp crap and it has held up.  Using twice the recommended rate has given me about a 1/8" liner, a little thicker on the floor where it pooled, a little thinner on the sides.  

Rhino and Linex wanted ~$450 to cover it.  If it gets too scuffed up, I will just apply some more over the damaged areas.  

If you have a full sized truck I would recommend three gallons.  Yes, this is three times as much as the manufacturer recommends.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Sounds like my local dealer tried to pull a fast one on me with that price. I guess when you're the only game in town you can set the rules. $350 is not all that bad, but still too high for an old truck. ... fullclip

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I need to chime in here. Pay to have it done! I used the [s]Rhino Liner[/s] [b]HERCULINER[/b] to cover the bed of my ElCamino about 3 years ago. It looked great the first year, last year I could see some paint showing through on the fromt wall where I may not have gotten it on heavy enough. Now this year, I can see paint in quite a few places as the coating continues to dry out. When I saw the paint last year, I thought maybe I hadn't been as cautious as I could have been. But now, I'm sure it will just continue to dry out until I pay for a professional job. An ElCamino isn't as big as a regular PU so I didn't buy extra but the guys who wrote the instructions would have been proud. It took the whole weekend to do the job right and I was really happy with it at first. Now I wish I had paid to get it done. I still will, after it gets repainted.

Fred
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Up north of Chicago, I have not been able to find a spray in company that cheap.   I have a F150 with a long bed, most places wanted an arm and a leg, no quotes under the 650 mark.   I bought the Heculiner kit and an extra quart as the website instructed.   I spent a number of days doing prep work, sanding, priming, cleaning.   (It is a '94 that had had a plastic liner in it.)   I followed all the instructions to the tee and did not cut corners, although that scuff pad sucks and I used 60 grit instead to scuff up the bed and rails.   I completed two coats with no left-overs.   I have noticed on my truck as well as my neighbors, who did the same, after a few washes, I can see some spots of the paint color showing thru.   I will probably buy two more gallons and give it another 3 coats this summer.   Still I spent less that what I was quoted for Rhino, line-x, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I need to chime in here. Pay to have it done! I used the Rhino Liner to cover the bed of my ElCamino about 3 years ago. It looked great the first year, last year I could see some paint showing through on the fromt wall where I may not have gotten it on heavy enough. Now this year, I can see paint in quite a few places as the coating continues to dry out. When I saw the paint last year, I thought maybe I hadn't been as cautious as I could have been. But now, I'm sure it will just continue to dry out until I pay for a professional job. An ElCamino isn't as big as a regular PU so I didn't buy extra but the guys who wrote the instructions would have been proud. It took the whole weekend to do the job right and I was really happy with it at first. Now I wish I had paid to get it done. I still will, after it gets repainted.

Fred
View Quote

Fred

Are you sure it was Rhino Liner that you bought for the DIY kit? I thought Rhino was a professional installed job.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds like my local dealer tried to pull a fast one on me with that price. I guess when you're the only game in town you can set the rules. $350 is not all that bad, but still too high for an old truck. ... fullclip

View Quote

Mine was a brand new truck, less than 250 miles.  They roughed up the bed, sprayed it a quarter inch thick, and did a hell of a job around the tailgate.  They took [i]every[/i] bolt, tie down, etc..  out.  Sprayed the bed, let it cure for a day, then put it all back.

The finish on the "over the rail" job was second to none.  Damn fine finish lines..

I wish I had the equipment and knowledge to make the corners of the bed, tailgate, and the detail lines of the outside of the bed  to come out perfectly, as they did..

My only bitch is that spot where I spilled PVC cement  in the bed...  It peeled up the liner just a bit.

But that was my dumbass fault.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I did the Herculiner in my 1999 F-150 when I bought it used 2 years ago. The bed was a little beat up and had some small areas of surface rust.
I'm happy with the results but to be honest I don't consider my truck to be anything more than transportation.

If I were to buy a brand new truck that I regarded as anything more than transportation and I had the $450+ dollars I would get the sprayed in liner.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
the guys at the exploder forum seem to like Herculiner... just don't get it on your "hootus"!

also nice for the rocker panels too!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to chime in here. Pay to have it done! I used the Rhino Liner to cover the bed of my ElCamino about 3 years ago. It looked great the first year, last year I could see some paint showing through on the fromt wall where I may not have gotten it on heavy enough. Now this year, I can see paint in quite a few places as the coating continues to dry out. When I saw the paint last year, I thought maybe I hadn't been as cautious as I could have been. But now, I'm sure it will just continue to dry out until I pay for a professional job. An ElCamino isn't as big as a regular PU so I didn't buy extra but the guys who wrote the instructions would have been proud. It took the whole weekend to do the job right and I was really happy with it at first. Now I wish I had paid to get it done. I still will, after it gets repainted.

Fred
View Quote

Fred

Are you sure it was Rhino Liner that you bought for the DIY kit? I thought Rhino was a professional installed job.
View Quote

Ya caught me there. I just dug through the old receipts and discovered it was Herculiner. I have change the text and apolgize to Rhino Liner for the mistake. Rhino Liner is the one I'll use in the near furture, professionally done.

Thanks, Fred
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:29:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Up north of Chicago, I have not been able to find a spray in company that cheap.   I have a F150 with a long bed, most places wanted an arm and a leg, no quotes under the 650 mark.   I bought the Heculiner kit and an extra quart as the website instructed.   I spent a number of days doing prep work, sanding, priming, cleaning.   (It is a '94 that had had a plastic liner in it.)   I followed all the instructions to the tee and did not cut corners, although that scuff pad sucks and I used 60 grit instead to scuff up the bed and rails.   I completed two coats with no left-overs.   I have noticed on my truck as well as my neighbors, who did the same, after a few washes, I can see some spots of the paint color showing thru.   I will probably buy two more gallons and give it another 3 coats this summer.   Still I spent less that what I was quoted for Rhino, line-x, etc.  
View Quote

If you want a professional job for a fair price, check out http://www.rhinodupage.com I just had my Dakota Quad cab sprayed for $346.10 and they did an excellent job. Not sure if they will remove the old stuff. The place is in Carol Stream off  North Ave (64).
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Good thread.

I have been thinking about doing this to my truck as I saw the Hurculiner kit in Auto-Zone the other day. I drive an 87' Chevy so the 400+ job isn't in my future. Might just give this stuff a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top