Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 5:05:23 PM EDT
I went to scrape it and it's fucking 1/2" plaster over drywall. Yes the popcorn IS the plaster. Anyone else run into this? I have been floating mud over it and it is taking FOREVER. (Insert the sandlot.gif here) About 24 hours per bedroom to complete two coats, not including the sanding. Just finished the first coat in the game room, 16 hours. I know this is some kind of commie conspiracy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ignore mine for now.  my coworker paneled over it with beadboard and put trim boards along the seams for a grid appearance.  it came out amazing.  

google image beadboard ceiling and lots of ideas come up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Add heat and ventilation.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ignore mine for now.  my coworker paneled over it with beadboard and put trim boards along the seams for a grid appearance.  it came out amazing.  

google image beadboard ceiling and lots of ideas come up.
View Quote

Looked into this but my house has a lot of tongue and groove and exposed beams in the ceiling. it would have been overkill.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Try 2 things.
1. Wet it and then scrape it because it should peel off that way
2. Just knock the wart looking part of and repaint. Allot of time it leaves a nice texture.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try 2 things.
2. Just knock the wart looking part of and repaint. Allot of time it leaves a nice texture.
View Quote

1. It was like trying to scrape stucco.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I covered my floor in plastic and sprayed with water from a small handheld sprayer.  It worked ok but was too slow and took too much scraping.  Then I brought the garden hose in and had it off in 10 minutes. Get it wet enough and it just falls off.  Then I opened the window until it dried, patched the sore spots and repainted.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Try 2 things.
View Quote

I can tell you this much about plaster.  It don't just scrape off.  It will eat sand paper and scraper blades like Michael Moore at a Vegas buffet.

In my house, 1/2" plaster over drywall, I have to cut electrical box openings with a carbide tile bit in the rotozip.  That shit is nasty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top