Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 4:20:15 PM EDT
I am going to be hunting elk in Montana in the future.  I would like to know if anyone thinks this load is good enough for Elk.

I am using a 270 winchester 130 grand slam speer, silvertips, or ballistic tips.

Is this load heavy enough?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Border line, I would step up to a 30-06...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
As I'm sure you've read before, a hit in the heart/lung area with a .270 will do the job on an elk.

However, you may not have a broad-side shot.  And if you have to make a "raking" shot through a lot of ribs, muscle, and bones, you may want something heavier.

If you take only broad-side shots, shoot the .270 and hit where you need too.  A .270 is a fine rifle.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't use the Ballistic Tips, use the Winchester Fail Safe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the fail safe round but in .308 (sorry, but I just prefer that round to the -06)  And, you can get an AR10 and still do the AR thing and do your hunting for just about anything in the contiguous 48 and canada.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes the .270 is a fine round, and can do the job, no dispute here, I would just prefer the 30-06 over the .270 for elk....

I have hunted with the .270 for years...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Your good with the 270 Winchester, but you need to move up to controlled expansion bullets.  Start at Nosler Partition and determine which premium bullet shoots best in YOUR rifle.  Ballistic Tip and equals, while accurate, are rapid expansion by design and work wonders on deer size game…might get you in trouble with elk, bull elk are much bigger than cow elk, cow elk are much bigger than deer.

Mount the best scope you can afford...Ziess, Kahles, etc.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Border line, I would step up to a 30-06...
View Quote

180 grain in a Garand, 400 pound cow running away from me.
One shot.

ED
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Your good with the 270 Winchester, but you need to move up to controlled expansion bullets.  Start at Nosler Partition and determine which premium bullet shoots best in YOUR rifle.  Ballistic Tip and equals, while accurate, are rapid expansion by design and work wonders on deer size game…might get you in trouble with elk, bull elk are much bigger than cow elk, cow elk are much bigger than deer.

Mount the best scope you can afford...Ziess, Kahles, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top