Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 4:08:26 PM EDT
looking for a handgun and need your opinions on the Glock 19 versus the USP Compact 9mm...

I've shot the Glock before and liked it alot, haven't had the opportunity to shoot the USP..

and please, don't hold back on your responses - i can see that some of you on this site are a little reserved when it comes to your comments...

dr jess
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 19 20.99 oz, with 15-30 rounds in factory high cap mags.  17 rounds can be had with a simple +2 mag extension, with spares holding 19 rounds the same way.
HK USP 9mm 23.52 oz.  I believe (but could be wrong) that it holds 13 rounds, period. There is no +2, there is no mag for a larger model that will fit.

In my opinion the Glock 19 is the only way to go if you're going 9mm.  The only real point of 9mm is to carry as many rounds as possible, and with 124 grain +P it can be some pretty hot shit.  With a little practice you can learn to really dump multiple rounds into a target extremely fast, and with the low cost of 9mm ammo you can afford this learning.

I don't dislike the USP, it's just that in 9mm or .40 I don't see the point.  Now in .45, that's another story.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I am with Norman on this. Mechanically, I like the USP, but with the cost and capacity of mags, the Glock wins.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Glock 19 20.99 oz, with 15-30 rounds in factory high cap mags.  17 rounds can be had with a simple +2 mag extension, with spares holding 19 rounds the same way.
HK USP 9mm 23.52 oz.  I believe (but could be wrong) that it holds 13 rounds, period. There is no +2, there is no mag for a larger model that will fit.

In my opinion the Glock 19 is the only way to go if you're going 9mm.  The only real point of 9mm is to carry as many rounds as possible, and with 124 grain +P it can be some pretty hot shit.  With a little practice you can learn to really dump multiple rounds into a target extremely fast, and with the low cost of 9mm ammo you can afford this learning.

I don't dislike the USP, it's just that in 9mm or .40 I don't see the point.  Now in .45, that's another story.
View Quote

USP 9mm mag capacity is 15+1 with 2 shot mag extentions available for a 17+1 capacity.

Where in Fl are you? I'd be more than happy to let you test drive a HK USP9. In my opinion a Glock is no comparrison.

Cops only carry the Glock because 1,000s of them don't make enough to afford a USP. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Friends Don't let friends buy Glocks!!!!
Go with the USP
Gemologist
BLOAT[x]
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I am more than happy with my 9mm USP, thousands and thousands of rounds and not a single failure due to the weapon.

Of course regarding magazines and such the situation here is different but high capacity magazines are available for the USP there, theyre not as cheap than for the Glock though.

I have seen dozens of Glocks during my work at a weapons shop/indoor range and there have been no major failures, but i have heard of the kabooms here and on the net also, mostly with .40 S&W models though. Have never seen a picture of an USP which would have suffered a similar fate.

I chose the USP because it was reliable, robust and the controls fit my hands from the factory so i didnt have to start changing parts the second i buy the weapon.

Both pistols are good but lately the problems i have read of recalls of Glocks and such hasnt impressed me positively, no such problems with an USP.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
USP 9mm mag capacity is 15+1 with 2 shot mag extentions available for a 17+1 capacity.
View Quote

I was comparing apples to apples, in terms of the 19 to the usp compact.  Does the compact hold 15 rounds?  Are +2's available for the compact?  Can the compact take the magazines of it's larger brother?  is there also a smaller version that takes the same magazines and has the exact same manual of arms?
One of the things that makes the 19 so nice is that it's part of a family with almost total interchagability.  I have a shoulder holster for a 17 that I carry my 19 and 26 in, and I never have to change the 2 19 round spare mags in the mag pouch.
Also, this means that my ultra concealably 26, my winter concealable 19, and (if I cared enough to have it or thought I needed one) exposed carry 17 all operate exactly the same way, and carrying one as a backup for another means I will have spare mags for my backup should I "lose" my primary.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I will not purchase any Glock based on their support and ongoing participation in Ballistic Fingerprinting.

They've made it perfectly clear that the rights of gun owners mean less than kissing the ass of the goverment that provides them with most of their income.

Between that and their handling of the frame rail problems, it's doubtful that a Glock will see the inside of my safe in my lifetime.

In case you're not aware of the BF issue, here's a couple of links:

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=169241&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133977[/url]

As for the USP, I don't have a compact but do have a fullsize USP 45.  It's the only weapon that I have that has NEVER EVER had ANY problems.  It has never failed to fire and cycle ANY ammo, every time from the first mag I loaded into it.  It's the one that's beside the bed and the one that I would trust my life to should something go "bump" in the night.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
and please, don't hold back on your responses - i can see that some of you on this site are a little reserved when it comes to your comments...

dr jess
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Here goes:
Glock 19 - [b]thousand of cops can't be wrong![/b](That should get the fires burning around here)[}:D]

Have a Safe Memorial Day everyone...

Ray
NYPD
View Quote

Oops, I forgot, the frame rails break. Buy HK.[bd]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dr jess
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Here goes:
Glock 19 - [b]thousand of cops can't be wrong![/b](That should get the fires burning around here)[}:D]

Ray
NYPD
View Quote

View Quote

Like i said, youre always OK when your packing your [b][red]HK[/red][/b]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
where in FL?? in the West Palm area...spent the weekend at the Gun Show there at the Fairgrounds...was looking for a USP - some guy wanted to sell it to me for 650$$ - uh, i think not..

anyway, originally from LI...great to see NYPD here -

well, shit...guess i'll just have to buy both, i mean you really can't have too many guns, right??

besides, my rifle is  getting lonely without a little sidearm...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my USP's and would choose them over a glockb any day.
However, since you specified a 9mm, I suggest you take a hard look at the SIG 226 and 228.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a H&K USP compact with the safety /decocker on the right side, nice for a lefty, and felt very comfortable carrying with or without a holster.
 What I didn't like about it was the sharp recoil, top heavy and very blocky, sat high- like a Ruger P series. Reliability was 100%.
 The Glock 19 sits real low in my hand and I shoot it better.
 If you can try out both and which one you feel and shoot better with go with it. Both are excellent but of course not the same animal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dr jess
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Here goes:

Ray
NYPD
View Quote

View Quote

Like i said, youre always OK when your packing your [b][red]HK[/red][/b]

View Quote

Course at HKPro I saw a USP slide cracked in half.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
19 Both are top shelf weapons and each has strong points.

I suggest that no better example of Ford vs Chevy can be had than that of Glock/H&K. I am a Chevy man.

I am an H&K man while my brother is a Glock guy all the way. I have tried many times to learn to love Glocks buy I cannot...I do not shoot them well.  Give me a Sig, H&K, 1911, even a Smith & Wesson and I can hold my own, something about the grip, trigger, and sight picture on Glocks that does not work for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a Glock 19 and was very happy when I got rid of it. I would certainly pick the USP over a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]
i'd go HK. much safer.

PS. cops carry glocks because their depts get them cheap.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
where in FL?? in the West Palm area...spent the weekend at the Gun Show there at the Fairgrounds...was looking for a USP - some guy wanted to sell it to me for 650$$ - uh, i think not..

anyway, originally from LI...great to see NYPD here -

well, shit...guess i'll just have to buy both, i mean you really can't have too many guns, right??

besides, my rifle is  getting lonely without a little sidearm...
View Quote

IM coming in. We are pretty close. I can also get you a decent deal on whichever you choose.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Why do you want a 9 mil?   Why don't you get a .45 and then you will have a real gun!!  [;)]

Personally I would lean towards the Glock.  The Glock and the USP are both quality pistols.  My advice would be to find a way to try both of them out and see what works best for you.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Buy the one that you like best.[/b]

The Glock is a point and shoot weapon.

The H&K can be had in many variants.  Do you want to have a safety to take off?

How do they feel, or how do you shoot them?

They're both good.  Pick one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Guys (esp Steyr),

He's looking for the USP [b]Compact[/b].

The Compact 9 only holds 10 rounds.  13 if you're LE.  There are no preban mags available that were legally imported.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I have both the Glock 19, and the HK USP Compact 9mm. I like them both. I shoot well with both. But if I could keep only one it would be the USP.

I like the cocked-and-locked manual of arms with the variant one configuration of the USP.

I bought three standard capacity mags for the Glock that holds 15 rds each, and cost me about $70 on average each. I also have factory magazines for the USP which hold 13 rds of 9mm, and cost me $40 each. That's another reason.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]
 I've had two  G19's for 10yrs now
great pistol for the 9mm cartridge

Have you looked at a Springfield XD ??

[url]www.springfieldarmory.com/prod-xdpstl-ported.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#25]
M4Nate - uh..this he is a she...

enjoy shooting the 45 but a little too much for little ol' me to carry and shoot on a regular basis - that's why i am in search of a 9mm...

this is very much like a ford/chevy discussion, isn't it? - happen to be a chevy girl - love my truck and wouldn't drive anything else..

just on how each gun feels in my hands, i prefer the Glock - just sits better - i have really tiny hands and i need something that i can get good stability with...just felt more comfortable with the Glock...

course now, what really matters is how they shoot and handle in a situation -

haven't considered any others yet...not a real fan of the sig...will check out the spfd that was suggested...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Glock [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I was comparing apples to apples, in terms of the 19 to the usp compact.  Does the compact hold 15 rounds?  Are +2's available for the compact?  Can the compact take the magazines of it's larger brother?  is there also a smaller version that takes the same magazines and has the exact same manual of arms?
One of the things that makes the 19 so nice is that it's part of a family with almost total interchagability.  I have a shoulder holster for a 17 that I carry my 19 and 26 in, and I never have to change the 2 19 round spare mags in the mag pouch.
Also, this means that my ultra concealably 26, my winter concealable 19, and (if I cared enough to have it or thought I needed one) exposed carry 17 all operate exactly the same way, and carrying one as a backup for another means I will have spare mags for my backup should I "lose" my primary.
View Quote

Hint Hint, as not to be too obvious, there is a bit of interchangeability between the USPC 40 and 9mm. Wink Wink, it only costs $35 Wink Wink. You will be very happy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top