Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 2:34:55 PM EDT
 No heavy sociological intent here, but it's a curious situation-happened several times today.
 I'll be driving my FJ-40 somewhere and I'll get a horn beep and wave or someone will say something[positive] at a red light from seeing my tag[it's free in Ga. with proof: DD214/orders]. And the respondents are ALWAYS black. A young current duty Ranger even looked me up in a convenience store while paying for gas to comment-and he was a sharp looking black troop. Just getting really curious why EVERY total stranger, merely passing on the road usually, that notes interest and attracts attention is black?
 The tag is their only reference, certainly my chicom brown, big tired 4x4 and blacked-out accessories with gun rack, camo spare tire cover, machete, axe and high lift jack evident aren't any attraction-just the reverse if anything[bubba the serious swamp hunter!]. No bumper stickers.
  This is in the SE where the local percentages are supposed to be about 40% black so it's a fairly even population base. There's one blk. guy and another white that I've seen with PH tags locally, so it isn't real common-actually surprises me that as many folks even know what it is. Doesn't happen when I'm driving other vehicles, so it's definitely the tag. Question is, why would the 'respondents' invariably be black? [The guys that have talked at red lights have all been RVN vets-but never a white guy.] Reaching the point after about 50 occassions that I'm curious-anyone have any insight? Ghost
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]

I was thinkin it had to be coincidental but 50 times is a few too many for that. That's strange.......
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
what was the ratio of blk vs wht during the (vietnam) war?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not big on generalizing, but in general-

I've noticed that southern black folks tend to be more social in general while driving. When they pass someone on the road that they know, they beep their horn and wave.

I'm "sort of" in the south here. I've noticed a huge difference in attitude and patriotism between black folks in the south and the north. Southern black folks are more likely to be friendly, smiling, great to talk to. Some of the ones up north would just assume see you thrown off a cliff if you're not like them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Southern black folks are more likely to be friendly, smiling, great to talk to. Some of the ones up north would just assume see you thrown off a cliff if you're not like them.
View Quote

Affirmative.
It also extends to white population as well. I really like the mostly good manners of both whites and blacks down here. It's infectious, and by now I'm Yes-siring and No-ma'ming with the best of them ;)
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
you said a purple heart? they probably think it's a "picture" of Africa which kinda looks like a heart.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they think it's something special? I mean something other than a medal for getting dinged.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hear you, Sukabe, but the one's I've talked to were knowledgable.
 Go figure why the state will give you a 'free' tag for getting dinged but nothing for valor awards. The cheapskates wouldn't give me a tag PER PH though-THAT would have fixed me up!
 I've always considered the PH as sorta a negative thing except that it [usually] at least validates the CIB and/or valor awards with it. Believe/IIRC that only 1 out of 18 men were actually combat troops in the Nam live fire exercise-course, you could get a PH tearing off a toe nail running for pool in some REMF bases.
 Blacks[some] have always claimed that they made up a disproportionate percentage of combat troops in Nam but that would seem to produce an opposite reaction from what I'm experiencing. No animosity or any other negative vibes-simply 'hail and well met'. Nothing 'racial' from their perspective. It wasn't until today that it struck me about the interaction.
 As several have noted, there isn't the under current of discord here between races as in the urban north and 'displays' of civility are common to most. It's simply that this 'phenonoma' IS purely a black reaction that makes it weird[not necessarily significant but certainly strange]. Just can't figure it. Ghost
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, they're just letting you know they appreciate what you went thru.  The white folks do too; bur we're just more reserved about it[:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Not trying to be funny here or anything,and I have no expereinece in the south,but maybe black folks are alittle more comfortable/friendly in the south because thats their home.

Thats were near all of em traditionally come from.

I've seen a couplea different shows about blacks who's families went north during jimcrow and such ,are now moving back down south.

Going home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top