Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 2:21:31 PM EDT
How do I tell the difference between forged and cast. I have a DPMS receiver and I dont know if its forged or cast. Which one is better?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a recently started thread in the General Firearms Forum in The Armory: [url] http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=169363[/url]

How to tell the difference? Pretty easy, actually.

Check the "seam." Look for a place where it hasn't been machined away, usually the inside of the carry handle loop or inside the trigger guard area.

If the seam is as thin as a pencil line, the receiver is cast.

If the seam is wider - can be as wide as 3/8", but still noticeably wider than a pencil line - then the receiver is forged.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Cast receivers are dangerous, will explode for no reason, so, send your cast receivers to me and I will see they are disposed of.

Seriously, cast is not a problem.

In the case of the DPMS cast receiver, which is made from the same casting used by Essential Arms (which they bought out some years back) was investment cast by Ruger, it has raised lettering on the side, whereas the forged DPMS has the lettering engraved or stamped in.  Those raised letters are cast on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top