Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 1:06:16 PM EDT
We're going on a family vacation in a week or so.  We've rented a 31' RV (van conversion, not a motorhome).   We're leaving Tampa, FL, going towards Atlanta, then Washington, D.C., then on to NYC and the WTC site, then back home through the Carolinas.  Anyway, protecting my family is one of the things I am responsible for.  A pistol (Glock 30) for me and my wife (Dan Wesson .357) will be coming along.  My question is this:  does anyone here think a long arm would be advisable or necessary.  I have several available, but one that I think would be good is my Marlin Camp 45.  Short, easily hidden, and same ammo as the Glock.  I'd like to hear any comments or ideas, or if anyone has any stories they'd like to relate.

PS  Before anyone says anything, the Glock was my second choice.  My first was my Colt Combat Commander, but I chose the concealability and extra 3 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to rain on your parade, but if you take those firearms into DC or NYC you run the risk of having your children going home without their parents.

I wouldn't count on any of the various rulings concerning RV = Home to apply in either of those cities, especially since handguns are only permitted to be owned by LEOs and criminals in DC.

I'm sure  the more knowledgable folks will chime in, but even cased and disassembled is unlawfull in our nation's capitol.

if you make it to SE PA (where if you are a FL permit holder you're legal to carry), let me know and I'll take your family shooting [;)]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stick to the "nobody knows, nobody cares" and "it's no ones business unless you make it their business" factor, an take whatever you want.
I'd take a rifle of some sort, in case you have to shoot a vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I am aware of the laws in DC and NYC, but the thought of going 'naked' for the rest of the trip bothers me.  If I can find a good hiding place while in the [s]Communist[/s] unsafe  areas of our country, then I'll just do that.
DavidC, I appreciate the offer.  We can take this offline and see where our route takes us.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Me amd the wife have taken a few motorhome vactions. I wouldnt bring the long gun, unless you wanted to just for fun. Sounds like you got both you and the wife should be able to work with what you are taking.

Bring a small tool bag with hand tools some Zip ties and duck tape. Something inside outside will fall off or swing loose.

31' feet is huge in the city. I wouldnt take it into the city. Think about picking up the train outside NYC. You will never find place to park and driving could be a nightmare. It was for me in San Fran and it is not nearly as bad as NYC.

The biggest thing I learned was no #2 in the can if you can help it. The best venting system will still allow you to be treated to poop soup smell while driving. If you do use the can for #2 make sure you can dump the tank BEFORE you hit the road and then Flush very good. Make sure you know how to use the Gen,Frig,A/C and dump system. Ask if they have leveling blocks or is it a selflevel type. Getting level is good for cooking and sleeping

Bring a small grill. cooking smells linger for a long time. Bacon is the worse if the a/c is on.

Good luck

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Me amd the wife have taken a few motorhome vactions. I wouldnt bring the long gun, unless you wanted to just for fun. Sounds like you got both you and the wife should be able to work with what you are taking.

Bring a small tool bag with hand tools some Zip ties and duck tape. Something inside outside will fall off or swing loose.

31' feet is huge in the city. I wouldnt take it into the city. Think about picking up the train outside NYC. You will never find place to park and driving could be a nightmare. It was for me in San Fran and it is not nearly as bad as NYC.

The biggest thing I learned was no #2 in the can if you can help it. The best venting system will still allow you to be treated to poop soup smell while driving. If you do use the can for #2 make sure you can dump the tank BEFORE you hit the road and then Flush very good. Make sure you know how to use the Gen,Frig,A/C and dump system. Ask if they have leveling blocks or is it a selflevel type. Getting level is good for cooking and sleeping

Bring a small grill. cooking smells linger for a long time. Bacon is the worse if the a/c is on.

Good luck

View Quote

Thanks, baddog.  I didn't mention that I am towing a small vehicle behind the RV.  Believe me, I am not about to take that monster down any city street.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Being in NYC I just want to let you know if you drive down to or near the WTC site your van may be searched, same goes for D.C..I dont agree with it but I have seen it happen as early as friday to an out of state van 2 blocks from the WTC site.
You might want to bring a shotgun or your Marlin. Also they have Bomb sniffing dogs all over the place. Bring a longarm less chance of problems.... Just my 2 cents.
Have a great trip!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top