Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 7:23:08 PM EDT
I have a HVAC A type evap coil that is dripping water down the middle down onto the air filter. I cleaned the coil really good this weekend and for two days the water ran down the coil like it is supposed to and I had no drips. Today its dripping slightly again.

BTW It's not coming from the pan, I can remove the wall vent in my bonus room and remove the filter and watch the drip coming form the actual coil. Also, most all of the water is draining down the drain pan normally.  I really believe its an issue with the coil getting dirty since it drained properly for two days but I don't know how or why it's reoccurring so fast. This is a 4 year old house and the unit is in the attic.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pan is cracked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pan is cracked.
View Quote

Water is leaking from the coil which is above the pan, the water that goes down the coil goes into the pan and down the pipe like it should. I can actually fill the pan up with a gallon of water and it all goes down the pipe outside.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If there's some lint or debris that is on the incoming side of the evap coil it's possible that it could get saturated and hold water, causing a drip. If you can access it easily you can use a soft wire brush to clean the fins, or there are actual fin combs for just this purpose. Be careful not to bend any fins.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If there's some lint or debris that is on the incoming side of the evap coil it's possible that it could get saturated and hold water, causing a drip. If you can access it easily you can use a soft wire brush to clean the fins, or there are actual fin combs for just this purpose. Be careful not to bend any fins.
View Quote

I actually used a soft bristle tooth brush on the air incoming side along with the cleaner this weekend and thought I had it fixed because for two hot and humid days it didn't drip.  I'm really stumped.

ETA access is easy because there is a huge grill with 4 screws in the bonus room and once I remove that and then the filer in the attic I can get to it entirely.  I have also placed a huge aluminum pan to catch the drips but that's just a bandaid fix and will only promote mold/mildew which we will breathing in.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Alphas don't say "bonus room".... It's all ours for the taking... There is no such thing as a bonus.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Alphas don't say "bonus room".... It's all ours for the taking... There is no such thing as a bonus.
View Quote

OK Home office
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Still dirty, not enough airflow to draw the condensate into the fins. I've had to remove coil and really deep clean them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Still dirty, not enough airflow to draw the condensate into the fins. I've had to remove coil and really deep clean them.
View Quote

OK thanks, do you suggest try another cleaning with the Walmart foam and toothbrush?

BTW I have a maine coon cat that has really fine fur and it seems that it somehow made it through the filter because I had some on the brush when cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I use pro strength cleaners from a supply house, most of which you wouldn't want to use overhead. They are pretty caustic. I almost asked if you were a cat person.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use pro strength cleaners from a supply house, most of which you wouldn't want to use overhead. They are pretty caustic. I almost asked if you were a cat person.
View Quote

So this is common
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]
If you go to a supply house, you could try aproduct called Triple D. Mix it per the instructions, soak the coil from both sides. Rinse and repeat. Triple D is not caustic and won't cause you to bleed if you get it on skin. Good luck.  Like I said, I would take the gas out and cut the cool lose to get it out and really clean it thoroughly. Most residential guys will sell you a coil.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you go to a supply house, you could try aproduct called Triple D. Mix it per the instructions, soak the coil from both sides. Rinse and repeat. Triple D is not caustic and won't cause you to bleed if you get it on skin. Good luck.  Like I said, I would take the gas out and cut the cool lose to get it out and really clean it thoroughly. Most residential guys will sell you a coil.
View Quote

A new coil on a 4 year old system, doesn't sound like a good option.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Would maybe a mix of water and Dawn be something good to try since the cleaner didn't work so well?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to try a household cleaner, Greased Lightning is better. It is slightly corrosive and will cause the aluminum to gas and the tiny bubbles push the dirt and dander off. Again you want to rinse the coil out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
When you get it clean, you need to buy better filters. Go to a HVAC supply and buy Poly type filters. They're adequate for cat hair and not as restrictive as the pleated "alergy" filters. You can use pleated, but change them religiously.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When you get it clean, you need to buy better filters. Go to a HVAC supply and buy Poly type filters. They're adequate for cat hair and not as restrictive as the pleated "alergy" filters. You can use pleated, but change them religiously.
View Quote

I have one of the wash and clean filters with the metal frames, can I use a paper filter in it's place?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Pull and clean the coil, it's impacted, the use tight fitting pleated filters. Using the wrong. Cleaner can ruin your coil
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pull and clean the coil, it's impacted, the use tight fitting pleated filters. Using the wrong. Cleaner can ruin your coil
View Quote

Yep, they sell specific products for this, use one.

And always, ALWAYS, clean toward the air flow.

If you have a two stage furnace, do not overlook that the secondary heat exchanger may also be plugged and restricting air flow.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can find a johnstone supply in your area go there and see if they'll sell stuff to you, they're a wholesale house and normally sell to contractors but sometimes they sell to anyone.

Now.. They have a spray foam coil cleaner in a spray can, think it's called nu blast. It foams up and works pretty good, make sure you get the stuff marked for the evaporator coil. I'd get two cans just in case. While you're there pick up a bunch of pleated paper filters. They have a rating as to the level of filtration, MIRV 13 being the highest.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Use a good cleaner made for cleaning coils,most of the time grease or smoke deposits cause the water to drip off the coil.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I have seen this happen on several occasions.

1. Low charge
2 chemical on fins not allowing condensation to run down.
3. Bad air flow or dirty coil.

I've seen where only a new coil solved the problem. At one time Trane made a louver kit for some units to solve the problem.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys!

I'm going to clean it again and change filter. It's an odd size so my only option for now is buying another one of the cut to fit ones and putting in the metal frame.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Purchased some pro cleaner and actually found a filter the right size at a small hvac supply shop.

The current washable filter has a metal frame that slides in a slot and feels spring loaded for tension. Any issues with using this paper filter in it's place?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
No issues with the paper filters, just make sure the air isn't getting around it. Check it often, they get clogged fast.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#26]
No issues on changing monthly, I have a reminder set to clean the current one. Just hope this fixes the strange issue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
This stuff OK? It's coil cleaner but doesn't explicitly state evap coil.

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=B85-610
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top