Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2016 1:58:05 PM EDT
I'm on the run chaps. Dont tell the guards, I've heard they shoot on sight. Or on site if they show up at your front door.

I've signed the lease on my new place. I'm given notice to my old. The moving truck is reserved. Aint nothing for it but to ride it out for the next 3 weeks, then its viva la fuck you Cali. To be fair here though I'm not leaving due to the latest round of gun retardation. While thats certainly icing on the cake my migration plans started back in Christmas. I could see the writing on the wall in regards to housing costs.

More than anything I've getting priced out of Cali, or at least the Bay Area where I currently live. The wife and I decided if we have to put our life in a truck we may as well go somewhere we want to rather than just to the next town down the road to find more affordable housing. So that settled in.

Come next month we are headed up to Washington state. Cant say I wont miss Cali, but can say I sure as hell am excited to get some place with a lower cost of living, lower tax rates and better gun laws!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'm jelly. Still stuck here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
So, you are moving from liberal commie state to another...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm jelly. Still stuck here.

View Quote

I'm very, very fortunate in my arrangement that I'm able to move. A lot of people dont have much choice in the matter. I know that all too well. I certainly wont judge those who cant leave, but you do have my sympathies and compassion for having to suffer that much longer. The good news is retard gun laws and high taxes aside, Cali still has a hell of a lot to offer so I think you'll make do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Good for you OP.  I made the same decision 5 years ago when I left Orange County.  If I stayed I would always be struggling, and I probably would have never been able to own a home.  I miss California, but whenever I go visit family it always reinforces my decision to never move back.  Too damn expensive, and too damn crowded.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm on the run chaps. Dont tell the guards, I've heard they shoot on sight. Or on site if they show up at your front door.

I've signed the lease on my new place. I'm given notice to my old. The moving truck is reserved. Aint nothing for it but to ride it out for the next 3 weeks, then its viva la fuck you Cali. To be fair here though I'm not leaving due to the latest round of gun retardation. While thats certainly icing on the cake my migration plans started back in Christmas. I could see the writing on the wall in regards to housing costs.

More than anything I've getting priced out of Cali, or at least the Bay Area where I currently live. The wife and I decided if we have to put our life in a truck we may as well go somewhere we want to rather than just to the next town down the road to find more affordable housing. So that settled in.

Come next month we are headed up to Washington state. Cant say I wont miss Cali, but can say I sure as hell am excited to get some place with a lower cost of living, lower tax rates and better gun laws!

View Quote

For now.

I wish you luck. Pulled the plug on Kali myself back in April. Now I just gotta find a job...

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Came here to post this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have picked a different state, but good on ya I guess.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, to an islander an oasis is a mere puddle but a desert nomad would still consider it a paradise.....

Eye of the beholder and all that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#10]
This is it, don't get scared now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I sold my Concord house 2 weeks ago.  Ive been living in NM for a couple of years and dont miss the wingnuts
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, to an islander an oasis is a mere puddle but a desert nomad would still consider it a paradise.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, just stay away from Seattle!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shhh! You want more Californians in Ga?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Which part of the state?  I'm hopping the right side of the mountains :)  Let me know when you get up here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I would have picked a different state, but good on ya I guess.
View Quote

The wife and I both consider this temporary until the kids are out of high school. I have a lot of family up that way, so it will be good to spend some time there. After the kids are gone (4 years, that'll go fast) it really is skies the limit.

I'm thinking very hard about an overseas assignment. I think I would enjoy doing a few years in Europe or Asia. Of course a lot can change in 4 years so we'll see. Either way, I dont expect Washington to be my final resting spot. I could do Florida though, I'm a bit of a water guy. I would like to do Colorado but I feel thats hopping 1 liberal state to another. (Much like I'm doing now). I've also given thought to Lincoln, Ne of all things. I've seen a few articles regarding it being the next Silicon Valley to some degree. It interested me.

Ne-buuur-ask-a? I dunno, some flat place in the middle of the country with a city that has lots of techies.

Like I said....Skies the limit in 4.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Good job! I left 13 yrs ago for better job & cost of living. Most of my wifes & my family are still there.

I miss the ocean, the Sierra's. Being able to snowboard & surf in the same day. But, I will not return. I have a great life here for my kids. I own 10 acres that we live on. I probably would never have been able to do that in California.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Good decision OP.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Which part of the state?  I'm hopping the right side of the mountains :)  Let me know when you get up here.
View Quote

North of Seattle an hour or so. I'm staying the hell away from Seattle as much as I can!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Thought for sure you were going to say Denver.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Why did you settle on Washington? Got a job lined up? Family? Friends?

And what part of Washington?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Time to buy some NFA goodies to celebrate

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Lots of family up that way. Mother, aunts, uncles, all of that. I'll be in Skagit county. Burlington area.  To expand on a previous statement I made about being fortunate....I have a home office. I get to take my job with me. That puts me at a *huge* advantage when it comes to wanting to move. Usually people have to answer the question of "Where do I want to live" within the context of "Where is my job". My job comes with me. That opens up a whole hell of a lot of options for where to live.

Imagine if when you asked the question "Where do I want to live"....You didnt have to account for your job in that answer? (Outside of needing internet of course)

Where would you live? There are a lot of really, really neat places in the US where a guy could live a long time and be happy.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrat, no more 10% state income tax, stupid gun bans, and much cooler weather.
A few more years for me, picking between UT or AZ.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Makes me feel crazy for the possibility of moving from Florida, a prized state as far as gun laws are concerned, to Washington state...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Congrat, no more 10% state income tax, stupid gun bans, and much cooler weather.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be getting a raise equivalent to a part time job just in what I avoid in taxes alone. Plus the fact I am literally cutting my rent in half.....Yeah, I'm pretty excited. My wife doesnt work (medical issues) so living in the Bay Area is just a slow economic grind into dust. Its wearing me down more and more every day, and I wont lie when I say no small part of my excitement comes in the economic freedoms we'll have once we move.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

\A perfect use of post # 1911
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I understand.

I am pretty well rooted in here.......so I don't see myself going anywhere.

But, I understand.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

<---------------

Congrats. I made the move in 1999 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someones paying attention. I've wanted to just scream this to the hills for a week now.....

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lots of family up that way. Mother, aunts, uncles, all of that. I'll be in Skagit county. Burlington area.  To expand on a previous statement I made about being fortunate....I have a home office. I get to take my job with me. That puts me at a *huge* advantage when it comes to wanting to move. Usually people have to answer the question of "Where do I want to live" within the context of "Where is my job". My job comes with me. That opens up a whole hell of a lot of options for where to live.

Imagine if when you asked the question "Where do I want to live"....You didnt have to account for your job in that answer? (Outside of needing internet of course)

Where would you live? There are a lot of really, really neat places in the US where a guy could live a long time and be happy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up in California, and moved to Ohio in 2005. Like you, I was able to work from home. Most of my family lives in and around Toledo and I wanted to be closer to them (but not in Toledo proper - an hour away in another county was fine), so I got a place in the middle of nowhere.

That worked great. I was making California tech job money, and living waaaaaaay cheap (even by Ohio standards). That worked great until the economy crashed in 2007/2008 and I got laid off. Now I found myself living in a very economically depressed area, with essentially ZERO tech jobs of any real consequence. In the middle of a recession. Oops.

I was forced to move closer to civilization (which is why I live 45 minutes or so from the Cleveland metro area).

And guess what? I'm doing it again (I'm in the process of moving to the Dallas area) for similar reasons. I'm not laid off or anything, but I'm looking ahead strategically. I had to ask myself "If I want or need to find another excellent paying job in a hurry, where would I rather be?" The answer wasn't 45 minutes east of Cleveland Ohio.

So be careful.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Came here to post this
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Came here to post this
Jumping from one frying pan and into another

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Good choice!

Just don't be a typical CA voter when you come to WA
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

North of Seattle an hour or so. I'm staying the hell away from Seattle as much as I can!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt. Vernon or so?  lots of us up here in the north.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Know how I know you've never been to WA?

WA is 100x better than CA.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Good for you, godbless.

I've wanted to go to Texas for awhile now but I found work in NY.

I came to NY from CT for that work.  In just a year I've been priced out of NY and back to CT where I will be living with family again and working a job that is similar in salary.

In 12 months these things went up in cost:

Rent per month
Healthcare itself per month
Out of pocket expense added for allergy shots because of healthcare switch
Internet bill
Car insurance

That extra swing of +$300/mo in cost and realization that it would take me almost 19 years to pay off my student loan was enough to push me back home with a huge reduction in living cost.

After another year of working in CT (2017 then) building my resume, and my certifications, I will target TX again in hopes that I can 1. Afford life  2. Have a good chunk of my student loans paid off 3. Buy firearms again / have freedom.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

12 step program to freedom. You can NOT just release a Californian in freedom. They need help.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Ha. I'm pulling the plug on Washington.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I grew up in California, and moved to Ohio in 2005. Like you, I was able to work from home. Most of my family lives in and around Toledo and I wanted to be closer to them (but not in Toledo proper - an hour away in another county was fine), so I got a place in the middle of nowhere.

That worked great. I was making California tech job money, and living waaaaaaay cheap (even by Ohio standards). That worked great until the economy crashed in 2007/2008 and I got laid off. Now I found myself living in a very economically depressed area, with essentially ZERO tech jobs of any real consequence. In the middle of a recession. Oops.

I was forced to move closer to civilization (which is why I live 45 minutes or so from the Cleveland metro area).

And guess what? I'm doing it again (I'm in the process of moving to the Dallas area) for similar reasons. I'm not laid off or anything, but I'm looking ahead strategically. I had to ask myself "If I want or need to find another excellent paying job in a hurry, where would I rather be?" The answer wasn't 45 minutes east of Cleveland Ohio.

So be careful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So be careful.

Understand that completely! The good news is I provide vendor level support for an industry. So if things did go south, I think I have a lot of doors I could walk up to if needed. Think of Cisco Tac. If one of the Cisco Tac guys were laid off, I suspect he would have a lot of contacts he could reach out to and end up pretty well off.

I sure as hell dont want to get laid off, and I'm in a pretty good spot to avoid that (As much as one can) but I also have a nice list of Plan Bs if needed!

On a side note, if you know SIP have I got a job for you (maybe, I dont keep track of our postings all that much)!  

(Hey, I cant referrals....I'm always trying to get that referral bonus!)
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, already active on the Wa hometown forums.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I understand.

I am pretty well rooted in here.......so I don't see myself going anywhere.

But, I understand.

Good luck.
View Quote

Well rooted ha...will a root canal fix it Doc!  Dental humor ha!  I'll be here til Thursday, try the veal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On a side note, if you know SIP have I got a job for you (maybe, I dont keep track of our postings all that much)!  

(Hey, I cant referrals....I'm always trying to get that referral bonus!)
View Quote

I do know SIP.

They'd have to let me work from my home in Texas, or have an office in/around Plano. I'm not moving again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Congrats!
Hope your move and new life is giving and fruitful!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#46]
..soundtrack of my life.   May it serve you just as well.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this

I'm kinda thinking the same thing.  It's like escaping the Soviet Union for East Germany.   As a true blue state, Washington is just a little behind California in gun laws, I suspect they'll be catching up over the next decade.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with that, good luck OP.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm kinda thinking the same thing.  It's like escaping the Soviet Union for East Germany.   As a true blue state, Washington is just a little behind California in gun laws, I suspect they'll be catching up over the next decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this

It's not a lateral move. Even discounting gun laws, I think Washington ranks a little better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top