Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 10:03:17 AM EDT
I went to the range yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks.  I wanted to drill with my Kahr PM9, sight in the holosight I got for my AR, and test out the  .22 can I just made (after a 5 month wait for my Form 1).  The can was a big hit; everybody wanted to shoot it on my Walther P22 and my AR with the Ceiner kit.  There was a boy there (12?  I'm not good with ages) with his dad, and he knew all about using an AR and suppressors.  His dad said he reads everything he can about guns, and he really got a kick out of my (slightly pimped out) AR and the can.  He was very good about safety.  I also explained to anyone who wanted to know how to jump through the hoops and make a can or SBR.  A couple people sounded like the were going to go for it.  It feels good to get people interested in anything related to shooting; we have to counter all the media BS somehow.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. Sounds like a fun day.

You can make cans and SBRs, but you can't make your own RDIASs or FA lowers, can you? Legally, I mean.

What are the 'hoops' you have to jump through to make your own stuff like that?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Awesome. Sounds like a fun day.

You can make cans and SBRs, but you can't make your own RDIASs or FA lowers, can you? Legally, I mean.

What are the 'hoops' you have to jump through to make your own stuff like that?
View Quote

You can make any NFA weapon (suppressor, SBR, SBS, AOW) [i]except[/i] full auto (because of the 86 FOPA).  The process is basically the same as for a NFA transfer; you submit a Form 1 to the ATF with $200.  If you do it as an individual, you need fingerprint cards and a CLEO signature.  I couldn't get a CLEO signature here (one of the most liberal places in OH), so I formed an Ohio LLC.  You still pay the $200 tax, but you don't need the fingerpring cards or CLEO signoff.  If you file your Form 1 as a corporation, be sure to send a copy of your articles of incorporation (or articles of organization for an LLC) also.  I formed my LLC using the book: "How to Form Your Own Ohio LLC Before the Ink Dries!".  It has all the forms you need.

HTH,
fiz
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
It is always more fun when you expand the shooting horizons of someone else.  My last trip to the range, I took the boss' 12 year old son with me and my wife.  I actually didn't shoot that much that day (about 200 rds through all the guns) they shot a bunch more each.  But I had more fun that day watching the kid shoot real guns for the first time in his life.  It was an absolute blast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top