Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 9:11:44 AM EDT
Hope this has not already been posted. Thought is was rather amusing.

[b]One shot too many?
JOAN FLEISCHMAN / TALK OF OUR TOWN

Coral Gables police Chief Jim Skinner, under departmental investigation for two accidental gun discharge episodes within a year, met Friday evening with City Manager David Brown. The topic: Skinner's impending departure. Sources say Skinner is set to resign, and it could be announced next week.

Skinner, 54, became the City Beautiful's chief in 1997 after a 27-year career with the Omaha, Neb. PD, seven as chief. Last Wednesday, he accidentally fired his Glock in a second-floor police station restroom, striking a toilet. Word is he was re-holstering the semiautomatic pistol when it discharged. The bullet supposedly blew a hole through the holster and his pants leg before hitting the commode. And, in July 2002, Skinner was sticking his Glock in a locker at an L.A. Fitness Sports Club in Kendall when it went off -- twice.

Last month, the city's police union gave Skinner a no-confidence vote after a survey showed low morale in the 160-plus member force.

The day after the toilet shooting, cops set up a ''memorial'' near the unarmed toilet. Mourners placed a toilet seat -- with a bouquet of multicolored flowers in the center -- outside the restroom hallway, along with a condolence sign: ''RIP'' (Rest in Peace). The Coral Gables Gazette ran a photo of the maimed john. Skinner, who earns $119,461 a year, is married to Maria Korvick, 56, a Miami-Dade circuit judge.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

...when it went off -- twice.

View Quote

WTH? TWICE???
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

WTH? TWICE???
View Quote

I just copied and pasted the article. I have no idea how it fired twice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Love that 'Safe Trigger'.

Good story.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]
What I am wondering is why he unholstered his  [s] gun weapon [/s] glock in the john.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What I am wondering is why he unholstered his  [s] gun weapon [/s] glock in the john.  
View Quote

Err, I do it too. It's much easier to get the belt back up and properly secure without the anchor weight attached.

I love the memorial idea.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

WTH? TWICE???
View Quote

I just copied and pasted the article. I have no idea how it fired twice.
View Quote
Probably because the guy's simply even stupider than your average dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I recall a story of an plainclothes officer that used his 1911 on a raid/arrest and then  tucked it in his waistband behind his back. Back at the stationhouse he visits the john and hangs the piece by its triggerguard on the coathook in the stall. Leaving, he tries to retrieve and it discharged at least twice before he got smart and let go.

Isn't that called "Dump firing?"
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Love that 'Safe Trigger'.

Good story.
View Quote

No trigger is "safe" when there is a finger on it.  It's not the guns fault.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top