Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 12:41:46 AM EDT
I don't mind actually working at night, but the weekends sure are hard. Everyone else had a different sleep schedule than me. That messes up the weekend. [:(]  I almost fell asleep around 11:00, but the dogs started fighting, so I had to break that up. I got about 30 min of sleep before that happened, and that messed me up. I still have to go in Monday night at 11:00, if I keep this up, I'll be ok at work. I just don't like missing out on the days activity’s with my family. I guess I'll drink some more beer!!  

[beer]

Cheers to all you night owls. [booze]

P.S. Check out the 1st annual Gulf Coast Shoot Out thread in the Texas Hometown forum. We had a hell of a time!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell, I love graveyard.
No bosses, no BS, no heat!
I run the shift, post a little on AR15, and generaly have a good night.
Since your having a few, tip one for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm single ' have been since 81' I used to love night work...12-8....mmmmm......
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The fact that the most senior guy around is the forearm is nice. More relaxed. We don't get yelled at for sitting around if the press breaks down.

I'm also always tired, and totally fucked up on weekends.

Rent for this term and a new firearm make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually like the night shift. Your right, no bs and no heat. It just is a little hard during the weekend. I know momma's going to want to go do something tomorrow morning, and I'll be worn out feeling.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been on nights for 10 years now.  It was harder when I was single and all your friends go out partying at night while you are working.  Now that I am married I like having weekdays to go shopping or shooting without having to take a day off. Plus I dont have to deal with all the traffic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess I'm lucky, my wife doesn't work and no kids.
She keeps the same hours I do, So she's cleaning house and cooking dinner even as I type.
When I get home we'll go do something and then crash about 1 P.M.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing rotating shifts for about 15 years now. First it was at a university, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm or 3:30 pm to midnight. There were no shifts after midnight. Weekends were all overtime but were only 9 am to 5 pm. Pleanty of public holidays too. I worked 20 days straight without a day off once though, 12 days straight without any days off was common. I preferred the evening shifts, minimal traffic going home, got out of bed at whatever time I wanted, etc, but being on night shifts permamnently wasn't all that attractive to me. It was a great place to work, but the pay was crap, so I eventually left for better pay.

In my current job there are two shifts, 7:30 am to 8 pm or 7:30 pm to 8 am (12.5 hours per shift). We do 4 shifts in 4 days (two dayshifts, then two night shifts) then get 6 days off. The catch is, we're on call for the middle two days of those 6 days off, and we don't get any public holidays off (the building is manned 24x7 all year round). Getting called in for a couple of extra night shifts during the on call days, then having to change my sleeping pattern around entirely to be ready for day shifts in 2 days can be a struggle sometimes. Because I start and finish each set of shifts on a different day each week, I lose track of what day of the week it is regularly. Only working 4 days out of ten (with an extra shift occaisionally) pisses off a few of my friends though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#8]

I've worked 12-8 for years. Love it.  7 days a week is the best way to work that shift. I just got done working 33 days in a row.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I do it several times a week.  Without ar15.com, I'd go nuts.z
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I only had to work nights for three years, 7pm-7am and I hated every minute of it. You're sleep is all screwed up, you're tired all of the time. Your first day off is wasted unless you want to go without sleep.

I've been on days for the last three years and I love it. More exposure, more money. I've found that for the most part, people who don't want to work hard stay on nights and the others eventually migrate to days. Then there are the wackos like some of you who actually like working all night and I never could understand that mentality. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Try driving a truck OTR.  OK, pick up at this location.  Appointment time 9 A.M.  Finally get out of there around 2 PM.  Drive straight through to get there by 2 AM.  (stop 1 time for fuel and get a bite to eat, plus lose an hour crossing time zones)  Make your appointment time and deal with recievers and lumpers (the guys you have to pay for them to get their crap off your truck) for a couple of hours and then finally get to crawl into the sleeper.  7 AM your phone rings/qualcomm beeps etc and it is dispatch telling you that you have 30 minutes to get across town to pick up your next load.  Then it starts all over again.  The shippers work days and the grocery warehouses/wal-mart DCs work nights.  Then they really mess you up and give you a daytime delivery.  Your sleep schedule is controlled by the government and pricks that don't have a clue about how their messing around while you are supposed to be getting loaded/unloaded messes with any kind of a real sleep schedule.  So much for circadian rythms.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything's better than sleeping...
And it doesn't bother me cause I'm not bound by family...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then there are the wackos like some of you who actually like working all night and I never could understand that mentality. [:)]
View Quote

I make 10% shift premium for working 12-8 :P

Besides, I never have to take time off work to go to the dentist, doctor, bank, get plates for my trucks or any of the other things in life that can only be taken care of 9-5, less traffic
too. I can go to the range any day of the week.
As for not working, our 12-8 shift outperforms both of the other two shifts. It's documented every day, and they can't figure out why. [BD]

You can either adjust or you can't. Those that do, love it. Nobody gets forced to work those hours where I work, they fight for them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
11-7 works just fine for me.  I have the mall all to myself.  No supervisors and no one to drive the new Jeep Liberty but me.  The mall is so much more peaceful when there aren't all those squalling brats and arrogant teenagers to mess it all up.  I love being a midnight mall ninja.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my shift.  I work 1pm to 1am Sat - Monday.  That gives me 4 days off a week and nothing is crowded.  I'm kinda spoiled since I can go shooting whenever I want and it's never crowded.  The stores are never crowded and neither are the golf courses.  In addition I get 10% extra pay which is always good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hell, I love graveyard.
No bosses, no BS, no heat!
I run the shift, post a little on AR15, and generaly have a good night.
Since your having a few, tip one for me.
View Quote

Exactly!  I would only add driving around with NVGs and listening to Coast to Coast AM or those freaks on KGO.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to work from 3:30am to noon.  I hated it with a passion.  I was always dead tired never got a full nights or days sleep.  I was out sick all the time it just sucked.  I still work at the same place but at a diffrent job.  My hours are now 6am to 2:30pm and I love it.  I am never sick now.  And my sleep is so much better
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been working nights in the printing industry for the last 9 years. I fucking hate it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked nights for 9 years, then went to days..

We have 7 shifts at the plant in a 24 hour period, ready,

We have 3 8 hour shifts:
6am to 2pm
2pm to 10pm
10pm to 6am

4 12 hour shifts, A,B,C and D shifts,
A and C shift work one shift, B and D shift work another,
A and B shifts are days, C and D shifts are nights.
Example:
Monday Morning: A shift comes on works 6am to 6pm, then C shift comes on and works 6pm to 6am,
 Tuesday, B shift comes on 6am to 6pm, then D shift from 6pm to 6am, Repeat for Wednesday,
Thursday and Friday: A and C shifts report,
Saturday, Sunday and Monday: B and D shifts report
Tuesday and Wednesday: A and C shifts report, this repeats itself.... I hated working those shifts.. Glad to go back to 8 hrs a couple years ago, but we still have 12 hour shifts, WAIT, it was worse in 98, you see we had all of the above PLUS 2 12 hour shifts for Maintiance, 3 12s on and 2 off, repeated itself, then they put us on the other 12 hour shifts and now we are back on 8 hour shifts, well kind of, you see we still are working 12 hour shifts plus weekends, but now I get my OT back, before on the 12 hour shifts, you did not get OT, that sucked...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then there are the wackos like some of you who actually like working all night and I never could understand that mentality. [:)]
View Quote

I make 10% shift premium for working 12-8 :P

Besides, I never have to take time off work to go to the dentist, doctor, bank, get plates for my trucks or any of the other things in life that can only be taken care of 9-5, less traffic
too. I can go to the range any day of the week.
As for not working, our 12-8 shift outperforms both of the other two shifts. It's documented every day, and they can't figure out why. [BD]

You can either adjust or you can't. Those that do, love it. Nobody gets forced to work those hours where I work, they fight for them.
View Quote

I got $1.05 shift premium when I worked nights and it wasn't worth it. It wasn't even close to 10%. I only work half of the week though, so I don't have to worry about taking off work to do things during the days.

From a manufacturing standpoint, the output numbers between shifts are relatively equivalent, but I've been on both sides and more work is done during the day, but that doesn't mean more output for the company. We do a lot more engineering tests during the day and all process work is done during the day so manufacturing has to work around that to get the same numbers out. Night shift doesn't have to worry about any of that stuff.

Numbers don't always tell the whole story, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes that can't be put on a chart.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been working nights for 6 years, wouldn't work any other shift.

Work 1900-0500 four days a week.  Start on Thursday night, work eight straight, then have six off.

Can't beat working alone, although it can get a little rough at times.  Not much BS to deal with, although us night workers get treated like shit most of the time.

Having a computer and a TV really help pass the time though.  Before we got those, nights were pretty boring.  Read a lot of books and listened to a lot of radio.  Can you say Art Bell-head? [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, the weekends are wierd.  Tendency to revert to normal sleeping pattern.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank god the days of inhouse call are over.

TT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I worked 11pm-7am for 9 years and never really did like it much.

As with anything there is good and bad.

We got extra pay premiums for working over night.

Any errands,shopping or driving is great because you're the only one on the road.

But the you're just not in tune with the rest of the world.

Someone mentioned before that your days off are either spent sleeping or walking around like a zombie.

Social/nightlife is pretty tough,and as far as heat I always thought the worst thing about it was trying to go to sleep in the bright,hot, afternoon ,summer sun.

Now I work at the same company 5am-2pm thank almighty god!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been doing 11p-7a for a year and 4 months now.  I liked it when I first started, but I hate it now.  None of my friends work this shift, so it's hard to get time to do anything w/ them.  Sleeping is really hard to.  I've become somewhat of an insomniac, and the nice summer days don't make it easier to sleep either.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#26]
2PM to 11PM

Pros:
-No traffic.
-Free mornings/afternoon for appointments, errands, hobbies, relaxing.
-10% more pay. WoooHooooo!

Cons:
-Sleep patern is slowly stretching later and later. Come home from work wired-up and can't get to sleep. Going to sleep later and waking up later.
-Socializing is nearly impossible. Friends are getting off work and going out, while I'm in the middle of my shift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top