Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2016 5:49:42 PM EDT
If you are on these lists and cannot fly or buy a gun, the government should prove it and you should be locked up....Period. If you didn't break the law, the the government should fuck right off. The same goes for someone convicted of a felony...if we can't trust you with a gun, you should be in jail....if you served your time, your rights should be restored.

Someone may freak out, go bizerk and kill a lot of people. Someone may say something that hurts your feelz. Someone may even say something racist or suggest Communism hasn't been tried the right way.... There is a cost and risk associated with living in a society that has the best system ever developed by man.

Were the Bill of Rights just a suggestion?

Sorry if this sounds like a pointless rant...sitting at a gate in the airport with CNN blaring above me while I listen to the lemmings go back and forth and just not getting it....
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If you are on these lists and cannot fly or buy a gun, the government should prove it and you should be locked up....Period. If you didn't break the law, the the government should fuck right off. The same goes for someone convicted of a felony...if we can't trust you with a gun, you should be in jail....if you served your time, your rights should be restored.

Someone may freak out, go bizerk and kill a lot of people. Someone may say something that hurts your feelz. Someone may even say something racist or suggest Communism hasn't been tried the right way.... There is a cost and risk associated with living in a society that has the best system ever developed by man.

Sorry if this sounds like a pointless rant...sitting at a gate in the airport with CNN blaring above me while I listen to the lemmings go back and forth and just not getting it....
View Quote

Agreed, but how does the left frame that argument to the moronic masses?

You support Felons and Terrorist having deadly weapons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
...because "lists" give otherwise useless people, something to do.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does the left support having second class citizens, stripped of their civil rights?

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was just about to turn his life around after being released from prison.  Now he's a terrorist.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, just an fyi, recidivism for felons is pretty high, don't have the percentages in front of me, but hell fuck no to felons  getting out of prison and gun rights being restored.
Now a panel to conduct hearings for non violent felons, after a certain time frame..maybe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Um, just an fyi, recidivism for felons is pretty high, don't have the percentages in front of me, but hell fuck no to felons  getting out of prison and gun rights being restored.

Now a panel to conduct hearings for non violent felons, after a certain time frame..maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't agree.. what you are saying is that the prison term was not long enough. And, you're contradicting the general argument made here - if someone wants a gun, they will get a gun. Regardless of any laws preventing such...

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just don't agree.. what you are saying is that the prison term was not long enough. And, you're contradicting the general argument made here - if someone wants a gun, they will get a gun. Regardless of any laws preventing such...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I am saying is that a lot of  violent felons, will be back in prison sooner or later, I do not favor arming them if they choose upon their release.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe so. But statistics should not cause you to loose your rights.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What I am saying is that a lot of  violent felons, will be back in prison sooner or later, I do not favor arming them if they choose upon their release.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't support the 2nd Amendment? Or you just support it for the right people? Sounds like you're good with the "no-fly, no-buy" proposal, at least in spirit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The Patriot Act was about fascist government overreach because the Bill of Rights has all these pesky Amendments that makes it hard for government to oppress its subjects.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My opinion only:
Violent felons are more likely to commit more crime when they can, I believe the figures are that between 50-75 % will be back in prison.
It may be using stats but those stats are solid and have been for decades.
A lot of these people can't function on the outside like you and I.
If you get 20 years for armed robbery and you get out...fuck you(not you op) and your gun rights.
Felons are profiled by leo's for a reason, they are felons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Because it is LITERALLY a catch all description.  

It is a well thought out back door to screw you out of all God Given/Natural Rights (Constitution does not grant you any rights - just affirms them btw).

There was a compilation a way back where a website had numerous examples of .gov briefs to .mil/.gov/state officials of what "MIGHT" constitute "domestic terrorism".  If you are merely "suspected" one would be subject to the "measures" under NDAA - i.e. no rights what so ever.

EDIT - found it...

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/72-types-of-americans-that-are-considered-potential-terrorists-in-official-government-documents_082013

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you don't support the 2nd Amendment? Or you just support it for the right people? Sounds like you're good with the "no-fly, no-buy" proposal, at least in spirit.
View Quote

Support it and belong to the NRA, do you really think the original idea behind it included prior convicted felons, or even people with mental issues
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Support it and belong to the NRA, do you really think the original idea behind it included prior convicted felons, or even people with mental issues
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is either a right or it is not.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes it did.hence the words

shall not be infringed.

Felons lost their 2nd rights with the 1968 GCA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know how easy it is to get a felony nowadays, from an innocent fuck up?

Gotta make everyone criminals, government has no power over a society of free men and law abiding citizens.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The mentally retarded or insane issue is not the road I want to go down...it's like when liberals say that "well, so,  right to own arms must also included nuclear weapons"  

I respect your opinion that felons shouldn't be allowed to have guns... I actually agree with it in spirit, fun and jubilation. However, it's not correct to follow feelings on these issues. The Bill of Rights is very clear....crystal    

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The mentally retarded or insane issue is not the road I want to go down...it's like when liberals say that "well, so,  right to own arms must also included nuclear weapons"  

I respect your opinion that felons shouldn't be allowed to have guns... I actually agree with it in spirit, fun and jubilation. However, it's not correct to follow feelings on these issues. The Bill of Rights is very clear....crystal    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate your opinion, I actually find this topic very interesting.
And while feelings always come into play, I'd like to think that our common sense has to be used.
Now common sense is a very broad term, interpret that how you will.
I will not go down the nuclear weapon road either as I don't find any logic in it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

shall not be infringed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shall not be infringed.

I respect your opinion but have to disagree.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Gotta make everyone criminals, government has no power over a society of free men and law abiding citizens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:
I hear ya and I also said violent felons and was also discussing repeat offenders.
I was not talking white collar crime, to some there is no difference though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Sort of got off topic...back to the original question, were this "list" powers acquired thru the Patriot Act legislation? Some may say that I don't have the right to fly...but, I do have the right to bear arms...Therefore any list that prevents that right if I'm not convicted/jailed, is unconstitutional without question.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sort of got off topic...back to the original question, were this "list" powers acquired thru the Patriot Act legislation? Some may say that I don't have the right to fly...but, I do have the right to bear arms...Therefore any list that prevents that right if I'm not convicted/jailed, is unconstitutional without question.
View Quote

I did a quick search this morning and did not see where the no fly list was directly linked to the patriot act, but it was created post 9/11, during the same time frame.
Now that I have googled, patriot act, and no fly list, I am probably on a list
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are no "powers" associated with any of these "lists."   That's the point being made by those who oppose the bans.

There is a legitimate reason for NCTC and the FBI to maintain lists of actual terrorists.  Those of us who fought overseas were well aware that we were collecting data which would help keep those people out of the US.

But the TSA has no business getting involved, because they are a clown car filled with monkeys.

How about a "no welfare list" or a "no vote list"?   Or how about an "arrest that terrorist and charge him with a crime list"?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I did a quick search this morning and did not see where the no fly list was directly linked to the patriot act, but it was created post 9/11, during the same time frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the party pal.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My opinion only:
Violent felons are more likely to commit more crime when they can, I believe the figures are that between 50-75 % will be back in prison.
If you get 20 years for armed robbery and you get out...fuck you(not you op) and your gun rights.
Felons are profiled by leo's for a reason, they are felons
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My opinion only:
Felons are profiled by leo's for a reason, they are felons

I think the core problem is they don't spend enough time behind bars locked away from society.  The legal system has become a revolving door.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There are no "powers" associated with any of these "lists."   That's the point being made by those who oppose the bans.

There is a legitimate reason for NCTC and the FBI to maintain lists of actual terrorists.  Those of us who fought overseas were well aware that we were collecting data which would help keep those people out of the US.

But the TSA has no business getting involved, because they are a clown car filled with monkeys.

How about a "no welfare list" or a "no vote list"?   Or how about an "arrest that terrorist and charge him with a crime list"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:
According to what I saw this morning while reading on this,TSA is not involved, it is TSC..US Terrorist Screening Center, the list is created and maintained by them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In bold:
According to what I saw this morning while reading on this,TSA is not involved, it is TSC..US Terrorist Screening Center, the list is created and maintained by them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:

No.  The TSC is FBI.  The No Fly List is TSA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shall not be infringed.

Disagree with the sentiment all you want, but the law did not prohibit people who had been convicted of felonies from owning firearms upon release until 1934 (in the case of violent felonies,) then 1968 (for all felonies,) then misdemeanor DV crimes got added in 1993.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:

In bold:
Will you give me a source for this please, cause what I read does not say that
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In bold:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:

In bold:

This is a copy/paste from the TSA website.

No Fly List
The No Fly List is a small subset of the U.S. government Terrorist Screening Database (also known as the terrorist watchlist) that contains the identity information of known or suspected terrorists. This database is maintained by the FBI’s Terrorist Screening Center. For more information about the Terrorist Screening Database, visit the Terrorist Screening Center.

TSA is among the U.S. government agencies that screen individuals using information from the Terrorist Screening Database. TSA implements the No Fly List through its Secure Flight program.  Individuals on the No Fly List are prevented from boarding an aircraft when flying within, to, from and over the United States.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#31]
It is funny seeing liberals who bitched and moan about the shitty Patriot Act clamor to use it to deny people the right to own guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In bold:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:

In bold:

Use google.  The No Fly List is TSA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Disagree with the sentiment all you want, but the law did not prohibit people who had been convicted of felonies from owning firearms upon release until 1934 (in the case of violent felonies,) then 1968 (for all felonies,) then misdemeanor DV crimes got added in 1993.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shall not be infringed.

Okay..I will admit when I'm wrong, as others have pointed out regarding the hardcore, true, actual meaning.
But no matter, as violent felons with access to firearms is still a bad idea, it's beyond bad, it's ludicrous.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

TSA doesn't decide who is on the No Fly List. TSC determines who is on that list. TSA's role is to make sure people on that list don't fly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

TSA doesn't decide who is on the No Fly List. TSC determines who is on that list. TSA's role is to make sure people on that list don't fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TSA role is FAR more than that.  TSA is the public interface with the No Fly List.  The TSC does not "use" the No Fly List.   TSA uses it, and they (DHS) is where you go with any petitions to be removed from the list.

You are correct in that they have no direct connection to the FBI/TSC database.  This is why it is such a problem.  There is no contextual data available to the TSA screeners; just names, or SIMILAR names.

People have been placed on the No Fly Lists for reasons OTHER than involvement or suspected involvement in Terrorism.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The TSA role is FAR more than that.  TSA is the public interface with the No Fly List.  The TSC does not "use" the No Fly List.   TSA uses it, and they (DHS) is where you go with any petitions to be removed from the list.

You are correct in that they have no direct connection to the FBI/TSC database.  This is why it is such a problem.  There is no contextual data available to the TSA screeners; just names, or SIMILAR names.

People have been placed on the No Fly Lists for reasons OTHER than involvement or suspected involvement in Terrorism.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:
This is actually a well know problem , so I thought.
One of the more known cases was Ted Kennedy, he had issues and griped about it in congress, supposedly took him 3 weeks to get his name removed, he appealed directly to Tom Ridge.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If somebody is on the No Fly List, s/he wouldn't reach the checkpoint because they wouldn't have a boarding pass. Yes, the system isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect. However, there is a redress system for those people are on the No Fly List. I know of one guy that was put onto the No Fly List. He flies now because he went through the redress system.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In bold:
One of the more known cases was Ted Kennedy, he had issues and griped about it in congress, supposedly took him 3 weeks to get his name removed, he appealed directly to Tom Ridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:

The funny thing, is Tom Ridge and DHS had/has no power to remove anyone from the list.

From the DHS site:
Many people erroneously believe that they are experiencing a screening delay because they are on a watchlist. In fact, such delays are often caused merely by a name similarity to another person who is on the watchlist. Ninety-nine percent of individuals who apply for redress are not on the terrorist watchlist, but are misidentified as people who are.

Think about that Orwellian nightmare.   You cannot directly challenge the List or even access to see if you are on it.  The agency responsible to employing the details of the List cannot challenge or even directly access the List, but they can incompetently and erroneously employ the list.

Now picture yourself in a gun shop. and you are denied the right to buy a gun, and no one can tell you why.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If somebody is on the No Fly List, s/he wouldn't reach the checkpoint because they wouldn't have a boarding pass. Yes, the system isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect. However, there is a redress system for those people are on the No Fly List. I know of one guy that was put onto the No Fly List. He flies now because he went through the redress system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My son was on the list (similar name to IRA terrorist).  We were able to print our boarding passes, but we were stopped by the TSA.  My wife was laughing, because I handed the diaper bag to the TSA Blue Shirt and told him, "good luck with the boy, he's very sneaky."

The TSA made the decision on the spot to let us go through (because my son was 8 months old).   This happened several times.   Yes, there was a "redress" system that allowed us to challenge the stupidity of stopping a kid for having the most common name in Ireland.  When the TSC provides the list to TSA/DHS, the list becomes arbitrary, because it is nothing more than names without context.

We went through DHS, who then goes to TSC/FBI -if necessary.

Now picture that happening in a gun shop.  How do you challenge it?  Through DHS?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The funny thing, is Tom Ridge and DHS had/has no power to remove anyone from the list.

From the DHS site:

Think about that Orwellian nightmare.   You cannot directly challenge the List or even access to see if you are on it.  The agency responsible to employing the details of the List cannot challenge or even directly access the List, but they can incompetently and erroneously employ the list.

Now picture yourself in a gun shop. and you are denied the right to buy a gun, and no one can tell you why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In bold:

From the DHS site:
Many people erroneously believe that they are experiencing a screening delay because they are on a watchlist. In fact, such delays are often caused merely by a name similarity to another person who is on the watchlist. Ninety-nine percent of individuals who apply for redress are not on the terrorist watchlist, but are misidentified as people who are.

Yea, that is the real suck, you're not on the list but a database thinks that you are
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My son was on the list (similar name to IRA terrorist).  We were able to print our boarding passes, but we were stopped by the TSA.  My wife was laughing, because I handed the diaper bag to the TSA Blue Shirt and told him, "good luck with the boy, he's very sneaky."

The TSA made the decision on the spot to let us go through (because my son was 8 months old).   This happened several times.   Yes, there was a "redress" system that allowed us to challenge the stupidity of stopping a kid for having the most common name in Ireland.  When the TSC provides the list to TSA/DHS, the list becomes arbitrary, because it is nothing more than names without context.

Now picture that happening in a gun shop.  How do you challenge it?  Through DHS?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a friend named John Brady who was on the no-fly list until 2014 because of an IRA member named John Brady.

My friend John Brady is a USN vet who flew SAR in Vietnam.

The IRA John Brady killed himself/was murdered by the police (depending on who you ask) while in custody at the Strand Road police station in Derry.  In 2009.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about selectee status or No Fly? Selectee status allows you to fly; however, you have to go through specialized screening. As I said before, the system isn't perfect.  When it originally rolled out, there were a lot of issues. There have been attempts to fix those issues.

By the way, Feinstein just came out stating that less than 1,000 Americans are currently on the No Fly List.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are you talking about selectee status or No Fly? Selectee status allows you to fly; however, you have to go through specialized screening. As I said before, the system isn't perfect.  When it originally rolled out, there were a lot of issues. There have been attempts to fix those issues.

By the way, Feinstein just came out stating that less than 1,000 Americans are currently on the No Fly List.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now multiply those 1,000 names by the thousands of people who have similar names.

Now take that "imperfect" process to your local gun store.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Now multiply those 1,000 names by the thousands of people who have similar names.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question:
Is that not what is already in place with the NICS, if denied you're not told why
I have never had that issue so I am not sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top