Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2016 1:24:33 PM EDT
Go on the offensive during good times to do so.  Obviously laying low after a mass shooting is good policy.  Why are there no billboards/commercials/etc in the general public during more peaceful times?  Oleg Volk type ads to generate interest in shooting sports and also reality.  I don't intend this to be a shit on the NRA thread, I am a member and have been for decades.  This is more of a wish list of things to do for the NRA to become more proactive instead of reactive as we have been slowly losing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The NRA makes decisions based on the opinions of the membership. This is done through Life Members electing the Board of Directors. You want to see the NRA go on the offensive? Elect a Board that reflects this opinion.

Me? I want to see the NRA go all out. Every legal method of getting our way. Dirt on opposition, trying to get them prosecuted for any crimes and otherwise voted or removed from public office. The time for the high road has passed; we are in the fight for our lives, and we need to start fighting like it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't they call up Hillary and ask how much a "speaking fee" would cost to get machine guns, SBRs, and suppressors legalized?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
it's easier to raise money on the defensive than it is on the offensive.

This is why there is almost no grassroots financial support for anti gun groups like Moms demand action
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go on the offensive during good times to do so.
View Quote

Because there is no money in it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Go on the offensive during good times to do so.  Obviously laying low after a mass shooting is good policy.  Why are there no billboards/commercials/etc in the general public during more peaceful times?  Oleg Volk type ads to generate interest in shooting sports and also reality.  I don't intend this to be a shit on the NRA thread, I am a member and have been for decades.  This is more of a wish list of things to do for the NRA to become more proactive instead of reactive as we have been slowly losing.
View Quote

I asked that very question after San Bernardino and was promptly pounced on by the NRA cheerleaders. Of course they didn't answer the question, just attacked me for asking.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Slowly losing is more profitable.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems to me some strategically place billboards and commercials would increase interest in personal safety.  (again Oleg Volk's work comes to mind)
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The NRA also funnels money through other organizations to get stuff done.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all politics........
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
In the social media aftermath of the San Bernardino shooting.  I made a facebook post with the NRA logo that basically said I am the NRA.  The left attacks the NRA because it is a faceless/nameless organization to them.  In my opinion the NRA is "us" and we have a story to tell.  We are not all basement dwellers.  We work, volunteer, pay taxes, coach little league as an example. What prompted me to make the post was the attacks on the NRA and I wanted to express that attacking the NRA is attacking the millions of NRA members as individuals.

My post received a few likes but gain very little traction. I suggest we (AR15) start a trend and make a template with NRA logo and a brief statement of who we are (as individuals) and start a social media blast (or what ever they call it).

Hive thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
In the social media aftermath of the San Bernardino shooting.  I made a facebook post with the NRA logo that basically said I am the NRA.  The left attacks the NRA because it is a faceless/nameless organization to them.  In my opinion the NRA is "us" and we have a story to tell.  We are not all basement dwellers.  We work, volunteer, pay taxes, coach little league as an example. What prompted me to make the post was the attacks on the NRA and I wanted to express that attacking the NRA is attacking the millions of NRA members as individuals.

My post received a few likes but gain very little traction. I suggest we (AR15) start a trend and make a template with NRA logo and a brief statement of who we are (as individuals) and start a social media blast (or what ever they call it).

Hive thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The answer to this has been posted a thousand times here:  Media outlets refuse advertising from the NRA.  They DO advertise where they can--Sportsmans Channel and various firearm-related magazines come to mind, as well as Youtube.  

In addition, advertising costs are huge.  Spending millions to reach a few thousand people is not a cost effective use of scarce funds.  Doing so would result in little results at massive cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer to this has been posted a thousand times here:  Media outlets refuse advertising from the NRA.  They DO advertise where they can--Sportsmans Channel and various firearm-related magazines come to mind, as well as Youtube.  

In addition, advertising costs are huge.  Spending millions to reach a few thousand people is not a cost effective use of scarce funds.  Doing so would result in little results at massive cost.

^------------This.

NRA is better at going on the offensive via legislation and they do go on the offensive.  

It's not their fault a majority of the American public prefers to elect Democrats and Democrats who ran as Republicans to get elected.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winner, winner.

They are failing. Day by day. They better get their shit together, soon.

I'm giving them till October when my membership comes due.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#15]
just unneeded attention and makes them look like bullies.

The way they act now is lay low and when Political SHTF like recently they spring into action to defend gun owners rights. Once the crisis is over they back off and wait.

Its fine by me, you will NEVER defeat the left anti-gun crowd, there will always be some group somewhere and the more aggressive you are the more people will join those anti-gun groups.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
They have commercials on the only channels that will air them, outdoors channels.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

And what are you doing?  aside from snarky attacks on the internet that is.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#20]

lol yup. No miserable little peasant....I mean CIVILIAN needs more than 5 rounds. FUCK THE PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why don't they call up Hillary and ask how much a "speaking fee" would cost to get machine guns, SBRs, and suppressors legalized?
View Quote

I have wondered this myself.  Once she becomes queen, how much to get her to love the NRA?  We know her influence is for sale, so I guess the price is the question.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He's dead.
View All Quotes

He still is the poster boy for the NRA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw those freedom's safest place adds all over tv the last year. The promote shooting sports relentlessly and I get donation requests all the time. What exactly do you want them to do?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#26]
The NRA works in the background. It's up to us to fund them to do the work in the shadows.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I see their ads on Fox News a lot.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, I have a question--are you a member?  If you are you would know the answer to your own question, as it's regularly addressed in the NRA publications.  

If you are not a member why do you care what the NRA does?  Do you ask the same question of AARP, AAA, or the Disabled American Veterans?  Are you like Mr. Feebmaster who admits he's not a member, yet has derisive comments for EVERY NRA-related thread?  
View Quote

In the OP I addressed that I have been a member for decades,  I gifted 3 memberships last week (actually almost done with the recent easy pay life deal)  Reality is I don't read a lot of their publications other than the American rifleman.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I saw those freedom's safest place adds all over tv the last year. The promote shooting sports relentlessly and I get donation requests all the time. What exactly do you want them to do?
View Quote

I want them to stop talking about more gun control. First and for most. I want them to say Sunday WL was on crack and didn't mean what he said.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In the OP I addressed that I have been a member for decades,  I gifted 3 memberships last week (actually almost done with the recent easy pay life deal)  Reality is I don't read a lot of their publications other than the American rifleman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, I have a question--are you a member?  If you are you would know the answer to your own question, as it's regularly addressed in the NRA publications.  

If you are not a member why do you care what the NRA does?  Do you ask the same question of AARP, AAA, or the Disabled American Veterans?  Are you like Mr. Feebmaster who admits he's not a member, yet has derisive comments for EVERY NRA-related thread?  

Unfortunately, even constructive criticism/opinions of the NRA and its public facing campaigns, etc. are lumped into the category of derogatory postings (which could run afoul of the amended COC).

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if these same media outlets refused black owned businesses, how well that would go over.   :/

I'm tired of being treated like something dirty.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wonder if these same media outlets refused black owned businesses, how well that would go over.   :/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.  We huddle almost in fear waiting for the next insane individual to do it again.  We lose ground each time.  What is an effective use of scarce funds?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why do you care?  You obviously aren't a member, so what difference does it make who is the "poster boy" for our organization?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why do you care?  You obviously aren't a member, so what difference does it make who is the "poster boy" for our organization?  

Why doesn't the NRA ....

I was directly answering the thread title question.  The answer is; because their members, like you, vote for board directors like him.  I care that they attack my rights.

NoMoreThanFive Jackson does not represent me.  I will not pay to promote his attack on my rights and their "compromises".  Fuck him.  Last time it was HIPPA added to NICS after Virginia tech.  This time they want to put us on secret lists.  Every time they spend money to help pass "compromises", going all the way back to the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre.  
Everyone here is surprised by NRAs response. I'm not.

I don't expect AAA to defend my rights just because they are the largest association of car owners.  but if they keep attacking my rights or advocate putting me on secret lists I will drop my membership.  I won't join if it's clear that is who they are.
I also don't accept the GOPe pissing on my leg and demanding my vote and money.  Not gun grabbing Ronald Reagan, Guilliani, Bloomberg, etc.  

The fact that piece of shit sat on that board for decades speaks volumes about the NRA.  He is still their poster boy.

Lead, follow or get the fuck out of my way.

I'll save you the trouble...

Bashing Pretend Pro 2nd Amendment companies: The bashing of companies that have a track record of working to support erode the 2nd Amendment is not allowed. This does not prevent anyone from discussing any current issues that they may have with a person, or product from the company. This rule is meant to cover those that continually attack, or work to harm a business based solely on some past bias evidence. This rule may also apply to any person the Site feels is a strong proponent of the 2nd.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The NRA also funnels money through other organizations to get stuff done.
View Quote

This.  NRA usually works through their state level affiliates.  NRA openly waves the checkbook around and Bloombutt outspends them 10:1 because he can.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree the NRA has some issue, they swing the biggest stick in congress.  Period.  I didn't intend this being a bash thread more of a "how can we push back" because the current system doesn't seem to be working very well anymore.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sad, but true.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#41]
What are some positive ways to push back?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sad, but true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad, but true.

and completely untrue.

The massive defense budget authorization bill includes several NRA-backed measures, including expanded gun rights for personnel on U.S. military bases and a measure that bans the Environmental Protection Agency from prohibiting traditional ammunition. The NRA opened the press release by giving credit to Obama for signing the bill and concluded by thanking lawmakers who supported it.

On October 26, 2005, President Bush signed S. 397, the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act." Introduced by Sens. Larry Craig (R-ID) and Max Baucus (D-MT), this legislation is a vitally important first step toward ending the anti-gun lobby`s shameless attempts to bankrupt the American firearms industry through reckless lawsuits. Reps. Cliff Stearns (R-FL) and Rick Boucher (D-VA) introduced similar legislation, H.R. 800 in the House of Representatives.

for the past 8 years, if you haven't been noticing, barrack obama has been president.

since you seem unaware of this fact, here is a little background on president obama.  he is anti-gun.  which means pro-gun legislation will probably not get signed.   and what can get signed will be quite small.

so, while barrack obama has been stopping any pro-gun legislation getting done at the national level, at the state level all the republican led states have had massive improvements in their gun laws.  primarily in concealed carry.

but, I think its better to bitch and moan and complain that its never enough and the NRA is just in it for the money.

thank you for your vast contributions to my gun rights.  where can I contribute?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
and completely untrue.

The massive defense budget authorization bill includes several NRA-backed measures, including expanded gun rights for personnel on U.S. military bases and a measure that bans the Environmental Protection Agency from prohibiting traditional ammunition. The NRA opened the press release by giving credit to Obama for signing the bill and concluded by thanking lawmakers who supported it.

On October 26, 2005, President Bush signed S. 397, the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act." Introduced by Sens. Larry Craig (R-ID) and Max Baucus (D-MT), this legislation is a vitally important first step toward ending the anti-gun lobby`s shameless attempts to bankrupt the American firearms industry through reckless lawsuits. Reps. Cliff Stearns (R-FL) and Rick Boucher (D-VA) introduced similar legislation, H.R. 800 in the House of Representatives.

for the past 8 years, if you haven't been noticing, barrack obama has been president.

since you seem unaware of this fact, here is a little background on president obama.  he is anti-gun.  which means pro-gun legislation will probably not get signed.   and what can get signed will be quite small.

so, while barrack obama has been stopping any pro-gun legislation getting done at the national level, at the state level all the republican led states have had massive improvements in their gun laws.  primarily in concealed carry.

but, I think its better to bitch and moan and complain that its never enough and the NRA is just in it for the money.

thank you for your vast contributions to my gun rights.  where can I contribute?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad, but true.

and completely untrue.

NRA lifer (Endowment member) here bud. I also worked for 2 decades for a not-for-profit, serving in many different capacities.

One of the dirty truths about any organization that depends on funds not sourced from the creation of a service or product, is, unless that organization has in it's charter a plan, an actual poison pill to erase that entity from existence, it will continue to exist, and inevitably grow.

The NRA has offered no plan to make itself irrelevant in 5, 10 or 50 years. By that I mean, there should be a sound plan in place to completely turn the tide to the point where the arm of the NRA that does the lobbying no longer has that need to fill.

Unless and until that is a part of the plan, we are feeding a perpetual engine.

Think about that real hard. Cuz it's not very obvious.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#44]
How does.the nra plan to eradicate chuck schumer and his ilk

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Wrong map...nvm.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, that's not an improvement on "rights", it's an improvement on privileges.  Getting a permission slip to practice something negates any sense of that activity being a right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, that's not an improvement on "rights", it's an improvement on privileges.  Getting a permission slip to practice something negates any sense of that activity being a right.

All the states that now have unrestricted carry started as "may issue" states.

Progress is one step at a time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How does.the nra plan to eradicate chuck schumer and his ilk

View Quote

LOL

Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the wrong map, I edited my post.

I still don't buy the the one step at a time shtick.  This isn't something that should be legislated.  The right exists naturally and government is constitutionally bound not to infringe.  That's where the debate needs to be centered IMO.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#50]
"Reality" (actual reality, not the scripted crap on TV) is not welcome in Modern Western Culture.

That really needs to change.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top