Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 5:56:37 AM EDT
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030523/i/1053700845.3892871222.jpg[/img]

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1516&ncid=1516&e=1&u=/afp/20030523/od_afp/thailand_insects_offbeat_030523195632[/url]

500 African cockroaches meet fiery death in Thailand

Fri May 23, 3:56 PM ET

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand's health ministry cremated more than 500 giant African cockroaches and declared the kingdom free of the bugs, which were banned last year after a surge in their popularity as pets.

The Madagascar hissing cockroaches, which had been confiscated and used as evidence in a court case, were stunned with pesticide before being burned alive in a hospital incinerator.

Some 1,000 bugs were originally confiscated last November, with a portion kept as evidence and the remainder used in research.

The roaches became the hottest thing in pets among Thai teenagers in 2002, raising concern among health officials that the rapidly multiplying roaches would spread typhoid and diarrhoea.

Some also feared the non-native creatures would damage Thailand's ecology.

The insect was subsequently banned under the country's 1992 Wildlife Protection and Conservation Act, under which which offenders may face up to four years in jail or a maximum 40,000 baht (952 dollars) fine.

Only one trafficker was prosecuted and fined 5,000 baht, the health ministry said in a statement.

"After a crackdown and invoking the ban officials tried to buy the cockroaches in sting operations, but did not find any other insect traffickers," the statement said.

The roaches, which can grow up to 10 centimetres (four inches) long and live for seven years, sold in Bangkok markets for 50 baht (1.20 dollars) each at the peak of their popularity.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
oh boy

now we'll get to hear from the resident PETA freaks about how someone should face life in prison for killing so many innocent pets

bwa ha ha
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Speaking of cremating cockroaches, yesterday I made breakfast with a gas stove, and very soon after I turned it off a cockroach ran into the stove well, began writhing in pain, doubled up, and died.  It was one of the grossest things I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The roaches became the hottest thing in pets....
View Quote

Yeah, burn baby burn!!!

Who in the hell would want a 4 inch cockroach as a pet?!?!?  And they live for up to 7 years?!?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Who in the hell would want a 4 inch cockroach as a pet?!?!?  And they live for up to 7 years?!?
View Quote

Man, can you imagine the fun you could have taking one to your favorite restarant and turning it loose? How about the chicky snak that dis'ed you, plop one in her purse or car, 4 inch roach crawls out and hisses. Man, the best $1.20 worth of fun you could have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The roaches became the hottest thing in pets....
View Quote

Yeah, burn baby burn!!!

View Quote

Yea what he said "burn baby burn"
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Now, if they could just kill all the bugs the hookers have.....   [:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a cockroach being burned at the stake:
[img]http://www.rare-gallery.com/artists/chalmers/img2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.rare-gallery.com/artists/chalmers/img3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My right to keep and bear Madagascarian Cockroaches shall not be infringed!
View Quote

For sale:
Authentic PRE BAN Madagascar Roaches!
I have a limited supply of these RARE! NIB!
All are in correct configuration with antenna lugs, and Four position legs!
Only $500.00 Bahts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you get a leash for them?

It would be cool having a SER (Seeing Eye Roach)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#11]
When cockroaches are outlawed, only the outlaws will have the cockroaches.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For sale:
Only $500.00 Bahts.
View Quote

IM sent ...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I seem to remember,  That somewhere in the world those things are  considered a delicacy when fried.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My right to keep and bear Madagascarian Cockroaches shall not be infringed!
View Quote

For sale:
Only $500.00 Bahts.
View Quote

[b]Thai drug lord mode on[/b]
Would you accept 500 Bahts worth of premium slave cultivated opium instead of cash?
[b]Thai drug lord mode off[/b]

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, they eat those things on Fear Factor.

Bobwrench
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top