Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 9:33:43 PM EDT
If we have the votes to kill the awb or any awb bill, should the Repubs call a vote and vote it down or never let it reach the floor?

Thoughts?

CRC
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Uuuuummmm, no.

For no other reason than you cannot absolutely count on every Republican.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
no, no, no, and no!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I want it to never see the light of day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Lord no!!!

Bury the damn thing with a stake through its heart. Don't give the pols any more chances to weasel than absolutely necessary.

The longer it remains an issue, the greater the chance of the "politics as usual" horsetrading screwing us over.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I say bring it to the floor and have the republicans all vote for it. Making the assault weapon ban law will take away a major democrat campaign issue and will swing some of the fence sitters over to vote republican. This will ensure that bush gets a 2nd term.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]

No.

Unconstitutional bills should be killed in subcommittee - that's what subcommittees are supposed to do.

Congress should spend more time reading the Constitution, the Federalist and Anti-federalist papers and less time voting on bills that they have no Constitutional authority to write in the first place.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
No

The House voted to REPEAL the AWB in 1996
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
No! The ban needs to die. Quietly, neatly, behind closed doors and without fuss if possible. Loudly, messily, publicly, with the shedding of copious amounts of political blood if need be. So long as it dies, put a stake thru it's heart and douse it with holy water, like the evil thing it is.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Ill go with NO!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#11]
[klingon Worf] Kill it now! [/klingon Worf][frag]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#12]
[size=6][green]NO![/size=6][/green]

TS
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#13]
You say 'if we have the votes'. You can never be sure, politicians are worse than lawyers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Unconstitutional bills should be killed in subcommittee - that's what subcommittees are supposed to do.

Congress should spend more time reading the Constitution, the Federalist and Anti-federalist papers and less time voting on bills that they have no Constitutional authority to write in the first place.
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I absolutely agree The_Macallan, it should be rejected in committee. Here in Calif. we get a lot of unconstitutionals bills voted into law because they don't go thru a constitutional committee.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Imbroglio the unamerican Troll:
I say bring it to the floor and have the republicans all vote for it. Making the assault weapon ban law will take away a major democrat campaign issue and will swing some of the fence sitters over to vote republican. This will ensure that bush gets a 2nd term.
View Quote

[size=5][red][b]You are the funniest Troll I have read in a long time, it would be a real sin if you actually believed all the dumb shit you type, does your mom know you are using her computer?[/b][/red][/size=5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#16]
     I know if it is not voted on again in September it dies.     Can anything stop them from holding it up or just vote on a similar bill after the election.     If it dies you might see another one, worst than the first in 2 months.     So all the mags and guns turned out in that 2 months could be illegal.
     The only good thing that could come out of a vote is to call your Senators/Reps and tell them if they don't stand up and take a vote one way or the other you will consider this a vote against it.    NO abstaining votes.
      Oh yea, some people might actually wake up and smell the coffe.   (thanks for the rant)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Imbroglio the unamerican Troll:
View Quote

[size=5][red][b]You are the funniest Troll I have read in a long time, it would be a real sin if you actually believed all the dumb shit you type, does your mom know you are using her computer?[/b][/red][/size=5]
View Quote

Ummm, you crackhead! Imbro has been a member longer than I've been alive. He's either kidding or he's snorting some sh!t.
He has like 8500 posts, no kid on his mom's computer will get that many.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]
It needs to die in Committee in BOTH houses, [b]especially[/b] the Senate to deliver a sharp rebuke to people like Schumer and Feinstein, AND to shatter whatever morale the Brady thugs have left.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#19]
No.

Suppose you're an anti-gun congressman from a mostly liberal district. Your constituents want you to vote for it. On the other hand, you know that voting for it will kill the Democratic presidential campaign and hurt in swing districts.

You'd be happy to see it bottled up in committee. That way your voters stay happy, and the national campaign stays happy. If it comes up for a vote you'd probably be compelled to vote in favor of it.

We get more votes if it is quietly killed in committee. Maybe the Republicans do better if it comes up for a vote, because that energizes their base. But that's not our objective--more gun rights are.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#20]
We can't let it come up for a vote.  You know why?

Cause its the ultimate cop out.  It comes up for a vote and then it passes, but the people who live in pro-gun districts can say "Oh I voted against it.  I'm not one of the evil ones.  I'm one of you........"

And it will be complete bullshit.  If the AW ban is renewed EVERYONE in Congress will be to blame no matter how they vote.  Don't believe for one second they haven't considered this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top