Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 7:25:20 PM EDT
Looking to buy a 15 gauge angled head finish nailer and an 18 gauge brad nailer.

Senco any good?  Porter Cable?

I had a full set of Sencos about 20 years ago, they were pretty good.

Talk to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Bostich, no help here.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
my cousin nailed hs hand to a 2x8 once.  I was there funny as all hell!  he miss all the bones in his hand.  i call him jesus every once and a while he gets all pissed off starts ranting how he could have lost his hand and how i started laughing at him instead of helping him.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the senco's , but the tend to be heavier than the bostich ones I have also used , the senco's did seem a bit more durable , not sure about cost and all that ....

my .02

t
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two Craftsman's and a Porter Cable.  Rebel
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Porter Cable 15 gauge angle nailer and don't have any complaints.  I've had it for a few years and it's worked well.

Wood magazine did a review of nail guns a couple of years ago and overall, Senco was the best.

You probably shouldn't have sold your Senco nailers.  Tools are like guns, they are supposed to be purchased, not sold.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
All my air nailers are Porter Cable.

Built my entire garage with my framing nailer.

No complaints.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
All mine are Bostitch but I have looked at a Senco framer and it looked very well built.

I haven't actually bought it yet but will be needing it in the future![:D]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You probably shouldn't have sold your Senco nailers.  Tools are like guns, they are supposed to be purchased, not sold.
View Quote

Generally, I agree with you, but I was leaving Kodiak on my 25' sailboat headed off into the sunset and had to sell off a LOT of shit, as there isn't too much space on a 25' sailboat.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's some real good advice--find out what you can get worked on locally.  They do tend to have problems.  My story--I found two at a local pawn shop.  Same (excellent) condition, one a Stanley-Bostitch, the other Porter Cable.  My friend who knows about such things advised me to go to the local dealer/repair shop and find out what they will work on.  They said "anything Stanley_Bostitch--we can't get parts for the Porter Cable."  I bought the S-B and before I built the first wall with it, some little plastic washer in the trigger mechanism broke and rendered it useless.  For $25.00 it ceased to be useless and has worked flawlessly for [i]thousands[/i] of nails since.  The PC would have stayed useless.  Oh, I paid $115.00 for it.  I also bought a S-B 15 ga. angle finish nailer on Ebay for $81.00--$92.00 delivered to my door.  It has performed flawlessly.  I do NOT know how they installed t & g pine boards with a damned punch in bygone decades.  Whimpy insurance agents (me) NEED nail guns to get anything done.  [BD]
View Quote

Generally good advice, but living in the Pittsburgh area, I can generally get parts for most anything.

ebay is a good idea, though.

gfb
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#12]

I like the Porter Cable finish nailer, although my Senco has given me over 15 years of trouble free service(doesn't get used as much now because it only shoots up to 2"). I liked the Porter Cable brad nailer I had but I barely broke it in before it wes stolen. I just bought a Senco 18 gauge brad nailer. What sold me was it's ability to shoot 2" brads. My Bostich only shot 1" and the Porter Cable 1-1/4"

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Find out how versatile it is,as my porter-cable roofing nail gun will only accept certain loads,but my makita nailer will shoot its loads and the porter cables as well!

I have a rough in nailer also(can't remember the name)but will shoot 10,16,and about any 8 nail going!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought a set of Senco nailers after my Bostich went bad. I went Senco mostly because  I got a good deal on the both of them.  My Bostich was a good tool until I fucked it up by using the wrong kind oil in it.

I was lazy and didn't want to drive to the homecenter so I used some shit oil I had around the house which caused the piston to freeze and nick the cylinder (I think it was the oil anyway) after only 8 nails went through it.  

The new finishers come in oil and no oil type tools, the advantage of the no oil tool is you don't get oil on your bare woodwork which could cause finish problems. The better ones also have better depth of drive adjustments and  require less maintenance so I'm told.

I [s]also[/s] have a smaller Sears brad nailer and stapler that have served me well over the years also.  

Heres the insurance picture of my new Senco nailers and new Thomas Renegade T-200ST  compressor, goddamn nice tools.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/pa119d8085a6a2f5325c4409d25f06006/fc64a740.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top