Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 6:33:15 PM EDT
I got a Cav 15 with green M4 handguards. I went to install a lower rail and forward grip and the heat shield is not vented (ie. no holes) for installation of rails, etc.

Is this something unique to Cav15 handguards or are all M4s like this?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the Cav guards, but the double-shielded M4s have offset holes, so you can't mount anything.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just drill a hole through the shield.

TS
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine dont have holes.  DPMS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
i think the Colt ones i had were offset.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's the old style Cav handguards, the new ones have heatshields with vent holes corresponding to the holes in the plastic.

I've found that the heatshields are pretty much unnecessary, and just help to keep the heat trapped in the barrel area. You may want to just ditch the shield in the bottom half, especially if you're installing a vertical grip and won't even be handling the handguard directly- it'll help let the heat out.

If it 's an issue shoot me your address and I'll send you a set of new style heatshields, or send me your handguards and I'll swap them for the new style.

-Cory
[email protected]
View Quote

Do the new style guards match the color of the old style guards? Just don't want a two tone rifle.

The new style are still M4 profile and do have a double heat shield right? I don't want to simply exchange for CAR types.

Can I order a set, have you send them to me and then let me return my old set for credit back to my card?

This way I can still shoot my rifle and it won't spend a week with no handguards.

I'll be glad to pay for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the new style guards match the color of the old style guards? Just don't want a two tone rifle.

The new style are still M4 profile and do have a double heat shield right? I don't want to simply exchange for CAR types.
View Quote

The new ones are the same M4 profile, and are run from the same material. They have single heatshields(like the old ones) that are regular aluminum color rather than heat-absorbing black.

Can I order a set, have you send them to me and then let me return my old set for credit back to my card?

This way I can still shoot my rifle and it won't spend a week with no handguards.

I'll be glad to pay for shipping.
View Quote

How about you e-mail me your address, I ship you a set, and you ship me the other ones and a fivespot when you get them?

It's not like you're some random guy off the street, I'm pretty sure I can trust you. [;)]

Just make sure the old ones don't get too beat up in the meantime.

I don't have a direct comparison pic, but you can see the new ones here:
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=165879&w=myTopicPop[/url]

View Quote

Will do. But I was asking if the new Green handguards are the same color as the old Green handguards.

I'm gonna IM you my address.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Check with Advanced Armaments. They make a picatinney rail specifically for mounting stuff on the lower M4 hand guard.  HTH

Edited to add: Treetop, not trying to deprive you of any business. I didn`t see your additional posts.[slap]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top