Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 5:57:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#1]
about time. maybe they can rig em to drop bombs on illegal border crossers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
about time. maybe they can rig em to drop bombs on illegal border crossers.
View Quote

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a news flash for Tom and everyone else:

We've been using them for years on the border, just not on a frequent basis.  USBP tested them in the early 1990s in New Mexico.  Even the Gnat (early version of Predator) got a workout.  Do some news searches. It's out there.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Great, it's about time.

But someone please notify me before they start flying over (or through) US cities...

[peep]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a start.  Although I'd prefer unmanned and heavily armed.  Sling a couple .30 machine guns under the wings and you're in business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, great to hear, but I'd also like to hear that they are going to vigorously pursue, arrest and rapidly deport anyone found crossing illegally.

I’ll bet that this turns into another “observe and record” type fire drill.  The USBP seems intent on doing its job.  The INS, when it comes to actually following through and getting the illegals prosecuted and deported is where the system fails.

Ain’t gonna amount to a hill of beans if we don’t have the political will to enforce the laws and put enough manpower on the ground to end this overt invasion of our country.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm   after reading this thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187782[/url] it makes you wonder which side of the border they will be watching the most. Arm them and wack anything that comes across the line thats not at a checkpoint. Hell put them on both borders as far as that goes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmmm   after reading this thread [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187782[/url] it makes you wonder which side of the border they will be watching the most. Arm them and wack anything that comes across the line thats not at a checkpoint. Hell put them on both borders as far as that goes.
View Quote

You'll be killing unarmed women and children. Sorry just kidding.

Seriously, in Calif. on the US 5 Fwy to San Diego, there are a whole bunch of highway signs warning of people(men, women, & children) running across the freeway espciallay at night. And of course a few get hit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Took 'em long enough. Haven't plain old civilians been doing this already?

Quoted:
Yup, great to hear, but I'd also like to hear that they are going to vigorously pursue, arrest and rapidly deport anyone found crossing illegally.
View Quote

Good point, but I think we need to do something more vigorous then simply deporting them in order to discourage illegal immigration. Maybe lock them up for a couple of months or so. Anything but sending them back home to try again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously, in Calif. on the US 5 Fwy to San Diego, there are a whole bunch of highway signs warning of people(men, women, & children) running across the freeway espciallay at night. And of course a few get hit.
View Quote

I was in traffic school one time and the old-time CHP officer that was teaching it told a story about those signs.

Seems that when they first put them up there was a whole bunch of illegals getting hit as they tried to cross I-5 to avoid the checkpoint.  The ones that didn't buy the farm were asked why they tried to cross when they had seen the signs.  They told officials they thought the illustration meant, in so many words, "you need to grab everyone and run like hell in order to make it across".

Seems that a lot of them coming from rural Mexico had never seen cars moving a freeway speeds.  In that section AVERAGE speeds are near 80.  They couldn't judge the closing rates based on their experience and thought it would take longer for the cars to reach them.

After that they put "peligro" on the signs along with the illustration of a man, woman and child running... Well, the child is actually being yanked along behind the woman...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I was in traffic school one time and the old-time CHP officer that was teaching it told a story about those signs.

Seems that when they first put them up there was a whole bunch of illegals getting hit as they tried to cross I-5 to avoid the checkpoint.  The ones that didn't buy the farm were asked why they tried to cross when they had seen the signs.  They told officials they thought the illustration meant, in so many words, "you need to grab everyone and run like hell in order to make it across".

Seems that a lot of them coming from rural Mexico had never seen cars moving a freeway speeds.  In that section AVERAGE speeds are near 80.  They couldn't judge the closing rates based on their experience and thought it would take longer for the cars to reach them.

After that they put "peligro" on the signs along with the illustration of a man, woman and child running... Well, the child is actually being yanked along behind the woman...
View Quote

Hmmm.. Interesting story I didn't know that.

I can believe the speeds on the I-5 freeway, I was on in the furtherest right lane(lane #4 or 5) and I was gong 70MPH just to keep up with traffic and significant number of vehicles passed me at 75+MPH. When you're going 70+MPH it doesn't take very long to cover a lot of real estate.

I have never seen anybody cross the highway, but if they get hit, man show's pretty over.

The drones could actually reduce the number of people killed on the I-5 by getting them away from crossing over the the freeway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top