Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 8:44:53 AM EDT
Washington, DC - Michael Barnes, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March, issued the following statement on assault weapons legislation:

"The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence United with the Million Mom March strongly commends Senator Feinstein for introducing bipartisan legislation, S. 1034, which will reauthorize the 1994 federal assault weapons ban and strengthen that law with a provision to stop the importation of large capacity ammunition clips. We also strongly commend Representatives Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), Chris Shays (R-CT), and John Conyers (D-MI) for introducing H.R. 2038, which will also reauthorize the assault weapons law and take additional steps to stop criminals and juveniles from getting these weapons of war."

"The federal assault weapons law, which passed as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, prohibits the sale and importation of military-style, semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines manufactured after September 13, 1994, the date the law went into effect. But the law will sunset (expire) in September 2004 unless Congress and President Bush renew it. If the law is not reauthorized, the manufacture and sale of AK-47s, UZIs, other assault weapons, and large capacity ammunition magazines will once again be legal."

"Weapons of war belong on the battlefield, not in our neighborhoods. We must renew, strengthen and enforce the assault weapons ban. We urge Senators to cosponsor S. 1034 and Representatives to cosponsor H.R. 2038. President Bush has stated his support for reauthorizing the assault weapons law. We urge him to work with Senator Feinstein, and Representatives McCarthy, Shays, and Conyers, to enact a strong law and [red] ensure that only our military and law enforcement have access to deadly assault weapons[/red]."

CRC
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Washington, DC - Michael Barnes, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March, issued the following statement on assault weapons legislation:
[red] ensure that only our military and law enforcement have access to deadly assault weapons[/red]."

CRC
View Quote

Still waiting for Brady to tell us all why cops need weapons that are supposedly only designed to kill large groups of people while the shooter doesn't aim.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
"The federal assault weapons law, which passed as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, prohibits the sale and importation of military-style, semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines manufactured after September 13, 1994, the date the law went into effect. But the law will sunset (expire) in September 2004 unless Congress and President Bush renew it. If the law is not reauthorized, the manufacture and sale of AK-47s, UZIs, other assault weapons, and large capacity ammunition magazines will once again be legal."
View Quote

Is this correct?  I wasn't aware that the 1989 Import Ban was going to sunset in September 2004.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
". . .and strengthen that law with a provision to stop the importation of large capacity ammunition clips.
View Quote

Will we be able to sit here chuckling quietly to ourselves as the importation of 'clips' is banned but 'magazines' are not after years of jumping all over the individual mistaking one for the other?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
 I hope they use the term clip in any new ban!

They won't do that though.  They screwed up their first SAWB, and they will do their homework this time!

I'm confident that a new ban won't see the light.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
all my "clips" only hold 10rds each anyways...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe these democraps are so ignorant.  Like it was stated earlier do they think that the 86 ban will repeal and uzis can come back in?  What about our weapons trade embargo with russia?  No AK-47's [rolleyes].
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red] ensure that only our military and law enforcement have access to deadly assault weapons[/red]."

CRC
View Quote

Still waiting for Brady to tell us all why cops need weapons that are supposedly only designed to kill large groups of people while the shooter doesn't aim.
View Quote

Yep. I also want to know why the police need such heavy firepower i the average citizen isn't allowed to have anything close?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

View Quote

Yep. I also want to know why the police need such heavy firepower i the average citizen isn't allowed to have anything close?
View Quote

Well LEO's are citizen "peons" like the rest of us. I think perhaps the '86 machine gun ban should be extended to cover LEO's. Only the military needs such weapons. Maybe then they'd change their tune about banning the manufacture of machine guns for us "peons".
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRC
View Quote

View Quote

Well I talked to a Brady rep over the phone just about exempting police (that I didn't like it at all) and they said it wasn't their business to tell police what guns they should have (just us civilians).

CRC
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Weapons of war belong on the battlefield, not in our neighborhoods.
View Quote

I came up with that one and they are using it! WOO HOO!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

GOOD FOR YOU.  Advocating war!!! good job.  I can see it now, the "Brady Campaign to Relocate Weapons of War to the Battlefield."  "But ma'am, there arent any wars being fought right now." Brady: "WELL START ONE SO WE CAN GET THESE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL ASSAULT WEAPONS OFF OUR STREETS!!!!"

Oh, and dont cops patrol....neighborhoods?  If so, then shouldnt cops not bring assault weapons into our neighborhoods, or are you advocating drafting all Law Enforcement officers and send them to go fight in the aforementioned war?

I want to find this street they keep talking about.  ARs and AKs flowing like water, where you can just grab an armfull of rifles and mags and just take them home.....sounds like heaven....I need a truck... a big one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't believe these democraps are so ignorant.  Like it was stated earlier do they think that the 86 ban will repeal and uzis can come back in?  [rolleyes].
View Quote

They are NOT ignorant. They are playing on the "I feel" and "I think" statements of soccer moms everywhere.

It will backfire. Foxnews will allow the truth to come out, and expose their lies for what they are.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey I am just trying to help out wherever it is accepted. The "pro-gun" side has been overrun with neo-cons who refuse to listen to anyone but themselves. On the other hand the pro-safety side is open to all suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]We also strongly commend Representatives Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), Chris Shays (R-CT), and John Conyers (D-MI) for introducing H.R. 2038, which will also reauthorize the assault weapons law and take additional steps to stop criminals and juveniles from getting these weapons of war."[/b]

Thats not all HR 2038 does, it basically prevents everyone from owning new AWs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[ROFL2] I daresay, Imbro, I do believe I recall seeing that in one of your posts!!

Is that why ya only have a .22, and a .38?? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey I am just trying to help out wherever it is accepted. The "pro-gun" side has been overrun with neo-cons who refuse to listen to anyone but themselves. On the other hand the pro-safety side is open to all suggestions.
View Quote

[ROFL2]!!

You are ON your game tonight Imbro!!!....
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Just the wording of that shows how dumb they are... And the other things that where pointed out, such as the importation ban, shows how ignorant they are... I'd like to see them try to ban cars and doctors... those two groups kill more people each DAY than guns kill each YEAR.

OTOH, we might not have to worry too much... Remember when they tried to ban alcohol? Didn't work too well, and they had to repeal it... Hopefully, it will never get that far with guns though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top