Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2003 7:54:33 AM EDT
http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/essays/tattoos.htm

A TEENAGER who paid £90 to have his arm tattoed with Chinese characters got a shock when he learned the message read: 'At the end of the day, this is an ugly boy.'
Hairdresser Lee Becks thought he had Mandarin for 'Love, honour and obey' etched into his skin.
The 18-year-old found out that he had been tricked when he saw the effect it had on a woman serving at a Chinese take-away.
'At first, she said something about me making people laugh and talked about a crown,' he said.
'But then I realised she was really saying clown, not crown. The young woman blushed and was very reluctant to translate for me. Then she admitted what it really said.'
A 'totally mortified' Mr Becks went back to the tattoo parlour in Southend, the next day - only to find it had closed.
He added: 'I suspect the tattooist knew he was closing and just wanted to get his own back for some reason. I always wanted a tattoo and the design looked great. Now I am stuck with it but have to keep it covered up.'
When he dared show off his arm at a nightclub, a group of Chinese girls came up - and burst out laughing. Even his friends have been finding it hard to keep straight faces.
His employer, Gary Doyle, said: 'He's a bit sensitive about the tattoos - they look very trendy if you don't know what they really mean. I don't think Lee stands much of a chance with any attractive young Chinese lady he may meet.'
Mr Becks plans to spend £600 to have the tattoo removed by laser.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't be the only who saw this coming a mile away. That's pretty damn funny.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Better than this I suppose....

[img]http://mysite.directlink.net/eruddle/pics/tattoopic.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats pretty funny.

My friend tells me he is going to get one that says "Pork Lo Mein" because he says "Those dumb shits that get chinese tatoos dont even know what they say"

This just proves he was right.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell, the Jappenese wear English stuff and have no idea what it means!!

[url]http://www.engrish.com/[/url]

[img]http://www.engrish.com/clothing/image/pract.jpg[/img]

Av.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet the tatoo guy was laughing his ass off also at [:E].
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a guy come into the tattoo shop that I was "working" at asking to get the kanji (chinese symbol) for the letter "j" tattooed on his arm , I explained to him that Kanji is not like english script and they do not use letters , at this point he became upset and showed me piece of kanji he had on his other arm , that the artist at another shop told him was the letter "R" ...I  suggested that he go and talk to the guy that gave him the ink , because he had been had ....

That being said , another problem with kanji is that lots of asian script is vey similar but a symbol can mean two very different things to someone who is Chinese and someone who is Japanese . Caligraphy is an exact science and if the tattoo artist does not do the piece correctly , that will also change the meaning.

t
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good That kid is a dumd a** poser. If your gonna get a tattoo, get something that has meaning to your life or your ethnic heritage. Not somebody elses. That silly bast*rd got what he deseves, good job tattoo artist.
View Quote

ditto on that. when i got my recent tattoo, in the 3 hours i was in the chair i saw a shitload of people come in and out with simpler 20 min jobs. mostly chinese symbols, a few butterflies, and several barbwire jobs. give me a goddamn break. im probly gonna piss off someone who has a barbwire tattoo, but how cool is it to have the tattoo like 2 out of every 5 guys aged 18-30 have. the whole time i was in there i saw maybe one creative/meaningful tattoo other than my own.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...the whole time i was in there i saw maybe one creative/meaningful tattoo other than my own.
View Quote

Let's see it.

[peep]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
What a moron!

Anyone remember the guy suing the tattoo dude who spelled "Notre Dame" wrong?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
guess the idiot has never heard of a coverup tattoo

oh well, one more reason to stray from cultured tattoos without doing research
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Avalon, thanks for the link to engrish.com. You just gave me the source for my new sigline. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the whole time i was in there i saw maybe one creative/meaningful tattoo other than my own.
View Quote

I seem to be detecting more than just a little bit of snobbery there.
View Quote

Right.  Ink is as common as spilled beer at a Teamster's convention.  In 10 years ink will no longer be a status symbol...as if it ever had been.  The "thug" image will be as dead as parachute pants are today.

Those and the poseurs who think a Harley is the best bike ever made...I keep laughing but then realize someone is getting rich off of these lemmings.  Wait, in 10 years there will be a HUGE market for tattoo removal services when these poseurs in their multicolor jobs need to look presentable.

Victims of fashion.  So sad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked with a guy who was a tech with me for Ibanez guitars.  he had a Japanese tatoo that he swore said "wizard of the strings".  Well the place was run by "off the boat" Japanese.  So one of the Japanese managers asked him one day why he had a tattoo that said "I like rope".

We all died laughing our asses off!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#17]
who the ever loving f*ck gets a tattoo w/o doing some cursory research?  

i've got kanji on my forearm and you can bet your ass that i researched it, drew it, and had it verified before ever sitting down.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]
If your going to get a tattoo, make sure you get one that accually means something to you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
And what is with all of the "round-eyes" having a love affair with anything Asian?  It reminds me of Malibu B..."Don't be hatin!"

Oh yes, I forgot, I'm not the one you want to impress.  Some little Brittany Spears wanna-be is who you are trying to impress.  And on that, why is it nearly every woman has to get the damn navel pierced?  Its not kewl anymore...you are all freaking sheep.

I know, you cannot further yourself intellectually so you have to make yourself appear special by mutiliation.  Real nice...

You know it is getting real easy to spot the Jewish girls...no tattoos.  Is this an attempt by the subversive Islamo-Facsists to identify the Jews?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Better than this I suppose....

[url]http://mysite.directlink.net/eruddle/pics/tattoopic.jpg[/url]
View Quote

LOL!!! [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You know it is getting real easy to spot the Jewish girls...no tattoos.  Is this an attempt by the subversive Islamo-Facsists to identify the Jews?  
View Quote

Damn, he figured it out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
you have to make yourself appear special by mutiliation.  Real nice...
View Quote

nobody else would let me mutilate them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Not my tat, but from a member of our club.

Definitely has a meaning...

[img]http://www.webshooters.org/photogallery/SECRET_4_July_27_02/Rich/P7270130.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
man for some reason my ears are ringing
View Quote

I'll let you slide based on your avatar...but the little Kid Rock/Pam Andersen wanna-be's need to get a freaking clue.  Ink does not make you any tougher.  The freaking barbed wire tats are about as original as the Hilfiger crap they try to cover the things up with.  

Its sad the way sheeple want to look like an individual but instead are indistinguishable from the rest of the soppy masses.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Worst tattoo I've ever seen, but at least it's hilarious.  Steve-O's self portrait on his back

[img]https://www.steveovideo.com/fanclub/images/irock1.jpg[/img]

This one's not even Chinese or Japanese:

[img]https://www.steveovideo.com/fanclub/images/weiner1.jpg[/img]

Tattoos of band logos like Pearl Jam, Metallica, Green Day, or Led Zeppelin on fans are always tragic to see.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]
A friend of mine who operates and instructs a Martial Arts school, has this tattooed upon his upper left chest, in Chinese:

[b]DANGEROUS OPPORTUNITY[/b]

I always thought that was pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Back on topic , any legal action against the tattoo shop will fail , this sort of thing has happened many times in the past , and many people have tried to sue , to my knowledge the tottoo shop has never been found at fault...

there are reasons that you sign diclaimers and agreements before you get anywhere near that chair...

stupid people get stupid tattoos

t
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#29]
It took me 39 years before i found a tat that really meant something to me.  I went with the japanese symbols for the word "Ronin".  I chose this with the help of a native japanese friend.  The word is commonly associated with a masterless samuri.  However the literal translation is "wave man", meaning someone who lets the tides of life carry them wherever.  I felt this fit me because I have had jobs from the automotive, construction, interior design, law enforcement and currently the "corporate security" fields.   Unfortunately, in Chinese the symbols mean a "criminal".
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Ditto tattoo.  I have one tattoo currently that I got at a point in my life that meant something to me.  I've thought of a Chinese tattoo.  I know enough Chinese that I'm not going to get some dumbass saying.  As for those, I'd never get one that was flash. I'd get custom.  One that I've thought about is my Cantonese name.  No, I'm not Cantonese.  Some Cantonese friends gave me the name. Ngon or On Cheuk-Mo.  Surname Ngon/On is peace. Cheuk-Mo is Lofty Warrior.

TS
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not my tat, but from a member of our club.

Definitely has a meaning...

[url]http://www.webshooters.org/photogallery/SECRET_4_July_27_02/Rich/P7270130.JPG[/url]
View Quote

... What does that say?

... It looks like "MOLON AABE" not "Labe".

... Or is that a Greek character?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#33]
You know it is getting real easy to spot the Jewish girls...no tattoos. Is this an attempt by the subversive Islamo-Facsists to identify the Jews?

View Quote

I know a few Jewish girls with tattoos...

And WTF is the big deal with asian stuff these days?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

i agree 100% i didnt get any ink untill after i got in the army but all my ink is custom and i have personal reasons for every one my my tats.i never got a tat to be a individual but because something in my life made me want to mark the event in a specail way
ray
View Quote

I also got my first tat in the Army and have added something to it each step of my life.  I actually have one tattoo, but it has taken several settings and several years to get it to the point it is now.  Oh...and it will never be complete as I will continue to add to it as my life continues and changes.  I have convered nothing up and just add....it is a collage of my life and it all has great personal meaning to me.

TS
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe he should have just gotten "LOVE" and "HATE" tattood on his knuckles:)
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#36]
One of my bro's in the USAF had "FUCK YOU" tattooed on the inside of his lower lip...

OUCH...!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
who the ever loving f*ck gets a tattoo w/o doing some cursory research?  
View Quote

Apparently, Britney Spears didn't. According to Britain's Sunday Mirror, Miss Brit was upset to learn that the tattoo on her hipbone doesn't translate as "mysterious," as she had been told. It actually means "strange."

[url]http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2003/052003/05152003/975513[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok, no one seems to be able to give an answer as to why,I believe it was said,a (Round Eye) would want an Asian character tattoo? This has always been an intriguing question to me. Do you want the mystique of the majority of people,including most of the actually wearers not knowing exactly what it says,or does that qualify you to be an Asian wanna be or what? I've got questions, who's got answers? If it means that to ya,to have it inked on your skin, why not have something written in oh say ,,, English,so we can all enjoy and comprehend? Oh I get it. That would make too much since. I forgot that common since was an endangered commodity in (AMERIpan)![thinking][stick]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#39]
how many non-celtic people are getting celtic tatts?  A LOT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
how many non-celtic people are getting celtic tatts?  A LOT
View Quote
Yes, but why? Is it the in/cool thing to do? I could understand Celtic if you yourself happen to be. Ditto on the Chinese/Japanese, if you happen to be of that decent or have it in your bloodline. Hell, I am wagering 10-2-1 that 98% of the people that have Asian tats can't even pronounce the items on the local Chinese takeout menu worth a crap, much less spell them correctly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:44:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If your going to get a tattoo, make sure you get one that accually means something to you.
View Quote

Quoted:
how cool is it to have the tattoo like 2 out of every 5 guys aged 18-30 have. the whole time i was in there i saw maybe one creative/meaningful tattoo other than my own.
View Quote

What business is it of yours? People can get whatever they want!!Who are you to judge? Keep it to yourself!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#42]
"BUYER BEWARE" [:\]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#43]
... What does that say?

View Quote

Check it out here.......
[url]http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#44]
how can  anyone get a tattoo? they are ugly,  makes you look like a biker, probably hurt real bad, and my mom would be upset[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Those ninja symbols crack me up.  Any tattoo artist will laugh at you once you leave with that stupid shit on your body.  If you didn't put him to sleep while he was doing the work.
If you absolutely must get a tattoo, it's always better to go in with a general idea of what you want, and let the artist help you with the design.  If he's worth a half a shit, he'll give you pointers on what will fade, what will look good, the size it needs to be to get the detail that you want, etc.
People getting ethnic tattoos of a culture that they are not a part of is fucking retarded, period.  You're right, it's none of my business, but I'll laugh at you all day long.
Here's a couple of mine, laugh if you like:
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18107/p/328915_1281014639370617422_vl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18107/p/328916_2153703078869396789_vl.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

... Here's a couple of mine, laugh if you like:

View Quote

... Dayum! Shave that bush before going public.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hell, I am wagering 10-2-1 that 98% of the people that have Asian tats can't even pronounce the items on the local Chinese takeout menu worth a crap, much less spell them correctly.
View Quote

[ROFL]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Why on earth would a man shave his legs?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
... What does that say?

View Quote

Check it out here.......
[url]http://www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm[/url]
View Quote

Good story--so who won the war?  The Spartans or the Persians?

I remember learning about the Spartans in history class. They were some bad ass mutherfuckers.  Almost from the day a Spartan boy was born he was trained to fight.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Why on earth would a man shave his legs?
View Quote

To make taking off the tape on your ankles and knee's less painful after an athletic adventure.

Road bikers (the kind of bike with pedals) do it. why the hell, they dont even know.

Norman74 , lets here the story behind your ink.

Your two loves , Money and country ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top