Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 2:04:40 AM EDT
How close has someone come to capping something in their sleep on accident? This is one thing that worries me about sleeping too close to a loaded gun. I've seen my fiance sleeping, and sometimes she talks in her sleep. Could the next logical step be her sleep walking/sleep shooting? Scary stuff!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep my USP 45 in a holster (no rentention devices) but hammer down with the saftey on, on my side of the bed.

My GF keeps her CZ 75BD in a holster (with thumb break) on her side.

I figure that it would take enough steps to put the weapons in operation that the chance of us blowing each other away in our sleep is pretty small.

[;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
My pistol is on the night stand in a holster with a mag in, but the chamber is empty.  I figure removing it from the holster and racking a round in will give me a chance to get some fuzz out of my head.  Much safer than grab & shoot.  The dog barking will probably wake me up before the burglar does anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How close has someone come to capping something in their sleep on accident?
View Quote

Never even close.  I wake up very aware unless I am feverish or drunk---and in those cases, I make sure guns are far away from me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I sleep next to a USP .45 and I've never done anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
not even an issue. one of the rules of gun safety is knowing your target. if you're dumb enough to shoot at something by accident, you shouldn't be sleeping with a gun close by.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just me, the wife and the dogs in the room at night - no kids yet. Wife and I each have an unholstered S&W M19 on our respective nightstands and we lock the bedroom door when we turn in. We've never come close to shooting each other but if the dogs growl or the door rattles, it time to "reach out and touch some gun" and assess.

Lately, we've been wondering what to do when the little ones come along but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I have heard, that guys with "Severe" PTSD, when awakened by loud noise, or yelling, can, and often do, exhibit interesting reactions..

I have heard of several circumstances of "intruders", being shot by such people..
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Don't worry about it: John Wayne aka The Duke used to sleep with his "piece" on his hip.

[:E]

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I sleep with my USP next to my bed on a nightstand everynight.  Never had a problem!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
don't try this at home kids:
[url]http://www.mountaintop.org/death/nov-02/thumb/dsc00001-1-0.html[/url]
View Quote

It would be wise to inform everyone that Frearms and Alcohol do not mix.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep a loaded Sig 220 and S&W thirty eight on top of my nightstand along with a streamlight all within reach. I keep the 870 between the nightstand and the bedpost. The family knows what to do if I holler out  "Democrat in the house"  

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
not even an issue. one of the rules of gun safety is knowing your target. if you're dumb enough to shoot at something by accident, you shouldn't be sleeping with a gun close by.
View Quote

Agreed. What I'm talking about is when one wakes up still dreaming that they're being chased by a bear or something and then starts shooting as said bear inside the house...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep a Sig 226 under my pillow, with a round in the chamber.

Been sleeping this way for many years, and I've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two S&W 686's in a "Gun Vault".  Just press the correct (EASY) combo and the door springs open...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I sleep walk, talk, whatever... a lot! I keep a Ruger pc4 next to my bed with the magazine loaded, but no round chambered and the safety on. I have never had an incident where I even touched the gun. My wife is a light sleeper and tells me all the great stories about me at night.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting question. I have never had problems with sleeping next to guns. I keep a pistol in the nightstand next to my bed.

However according to my ex-girlfriend, we had sex on a couple of occasions while I was sleeping. She thought that I was awake only to findout the next day that I had no idea what had happened. No drinking or drugs ethir. Just asleep.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My .356 is a step away from my bedside and inside one of those instant open safes.
View Quote

.356, .357. Whatever it takes.  [;)]

Chris
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#22]
[
However according to my ex-girlfriend, we had sex on a couple of occasions while I was sleeping. She thought that I was awake only to findout the next day that I had no idea what had happened. No drinking or drugs ethir. Just asleep.[/quote]

Was it as good for either one of you as when you were awake? Did you smoke a cigarette in your sleep?

Better question: Did you really buy that story?
If she had kids, did you ask for a blood test?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My .356 is a step away from my bedside and inside one of those instant open safes.
View Quote

Chris
View Quote

I was wondering if I was the only one who caught that [:D]
And then I was thinking that maybe they came up witha new cal so I kept my mouth shut,better to be thought of a fool then to opem my mouth and prove them right [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I am no expert , but to my understanding , when one is sleep-walking they are not really capable of fine motor skills , but tend to do things by muscle memory or repetitious actions i.e. opening doors etc.

so I do not think you have anything to worry about gun wise , besides , I always leave the chamber empty unless I am actually carrying

my .02

t
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I keep my 12 gauge 1100 loaded next to the bed. I've never had a problem, or even touched it for that matter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Interesting question. I have never had problems with sleeping next to guns. I keep a pistol in the nightstand next to my bed.

However according to my ex-girlfriend, we had sex on a couple of occasions while I was sleeping. She thought that I was awake only to findout the next day that I had no idea what had happened. No drinking or drugs ethir. Just asleep.
View Quote

Heh, this happens to me a lot.  The next morning my wife will ask me "So, do you remember last night?" and then it's like remembering a dream... I vaguely remember it.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of having sex and can't remember how I got there.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the AR at the foot of the bed and the Win. 1300 in the other corner with shells in reach. None of them are loaded due to the little kids in the house. I'm a pretty light sleeper but I've never had problem being startled in my sleep and trying to load it [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Glock 21 (holstered) muzzle first into the nightstand drawer, with a Streamlight Scorpion next to it. 1 "loose" mag, 1 mag in mag/cuff clip on holder. Full mag, empty chamber.

Mossberg 500 split loaded (OOO buck/slug) by door. Full mag, empty chamber, hammer in "fired" position.

Two to three more pistols throughout household. Most loaded, holstered, with speedloaders next to them.

Shotgun on the main floor in the summertime... same condition as the bedroom gun.

Alarm system to watch when we're gone.

Cats, ferrets, and rabbits to dispose of leftovers!

Have cocked and locked for 'bump in the night' more than once. Had to sweep my own house when door failed to latch one evening (pucker factor 10 - then had to chase cats all night), and have racked the shotgun when unwanted visitors pulled into the driveway at 35 mph, screeched to a halt, and laid on the horn. Never seen hands come out of a window that fast!

Otherwise (thankfully) just "action drills".

FYI: My house used to be a crackhouse run by a part-time girlfriend for hire (part of the reason it was so cheap). Haven't had many of her 'friends' drop by lately, but old habits die hard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I keep a Sig 226 under my pillow, with a round in the chamber.

Been sleeping this way for many years, and I've never had a problem.
View Quote

Might someday wake up with a problem!

Good if you need the gun fast for an intruder, bad if the gun puts one thru your temple.

I want to know where the gun is, where my wife is, and then I will charge the chamber for the problem.  Mine is at the bedside with a couple mags.  The 45 auto is ready for business with one pull of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I used to sleep with a .45 under my pillow, but my wife made me move it to a bedside drawer....

I never had a problem. I started doing it in the Corps when I bought my own 1911, and kept it up for eight years, until we got married.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I sleep with a 1911 cocked and locked on the night stand.

And a shotgun full of 5 rounds of bird shot and 2 slugs under the bed.

I've woke up with the .45 in my hand once, but I still keep it on the night stand.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#34]
.38 special revolver right over my head. I prefer the long double action pull since I do not always "wake up" real quick. Never played with it (the gun) in my sleep.
I have however been told I have done the wild thing in my sleep, or so I have been told. I dunno, I rarely remember my dreams and don't remember doing many things I have been told about in my sleep.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
S&W Model 28 .357 Magnum on nightstand next to bed, with phone, fire extinguisher, MagLite and first aid kit.

Never had a problem, but I'm ready to take care of one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a USP 45 with Tac Light next to the bed.
Never touched it in my sleep. I frequently get up to inpsect strange noises with the gun in hand.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#37]
My entire family have slept with loaded firearms nearby. As I child(around 10 or so) I had a .22 under my bed, loaded. Dad always kept a revolver in the night stand loaded. I sleep with a 1911 in the night stand loaded, safety on. My brother sleeps with a Beretta 92FS in the night stand loaded with safety on, as well as a shotgun in the closet.

I can tell you from personal experience that none of us ever shot anyone in our sleep. Or woken up unconsciously point a gun an someone.

Guess its up to the person.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Chris
View Quote

I was wondering if I was the only one who caught that [:D]
And then I was thinking that maybe they came up witha new cal...
View Quote

Whats wrong with a 356?
[img]http://www.ammoman.com/images/P356HS1.jpg[/img]

Jonathan
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#39]
fully loaded USP45 in bed with me everynight one way or another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top