Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 8:42:07 PM EDT
I have been looking for a mid-late 90s Wrangler as a second "fun" vehicle.

I have a good buddy who used to sell cars and while I trust his opinion, he does tend to exaggerate sometimes if he has a bias or preconceived notion about something. He says that Wranglers are just crap and are notorious for having the trannys and/or clutches go bad, among other things.

Is this the case?

I do not mind tinkering and am fair with a wrench and a Chilton's book.

What other areas would ya'll recommend I look into when shopping?

Thanks kindly!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The Wrangler is fairly well rated BUT it is the best at doing what it does,  offroading.  If you put a couple grand into a wrangler it can do some amazing stuff offroad.

I wouldnt let some shit bag car salesmen scare you away from such a fine rig.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a guess, but considering what Wranglers are often used for (heavy Offroading) I'm not suprised that they might burn some trannys out. The gears on them things gotta go through some work.

I'm looking at Wranglers myself, I'm dying to get one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an '88 Jeep Cherokee. It has the EXCELLENT 4.0L I-6 engine and a crappy (some say the worst) Peugeot 5-speed transmission. It also has 290k miles and NO engine or transmission problems.

They only put crappy Peugeot transmissions in some jeeps back in the late 80s. Most modern Jeeps use excellent Japanese (Toyota) transmissions.

When it comes to Jeeps (Wrangler or Cherokee), hardcore rockcrawlers tend to keep the 4.0L engine and the stock transmissions. What they upgrade is the Dana 35 rear end. Sometimes, they upgrade the Dana 30 front end, but since it is full floating it can handle bigger tires than the rear Dana 35 (often, they keep the Dana 30 front but upgrade the axles/U-joints in it). If you want to go offroading, I suggest you look for a Jeep with a rear Dana 44.

If you stay with tires under 30x9.5R15 in size, don't run lockers, and don't go rockcrawling, the stock Dana 35 is OK.

If you want to know about Jeeps, talk to people who use them off road. Look at what they replace and what they tend to leave stock. As far as salesmen, I haven't meet many who really understood the capabilities of various vehicles, beyond whatever it takes to make sales to soccer moms.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to add: if you want a Wrangler with serious off-road capability, get a TJ Wrangler, the one with the round head lights. It is the most off-road capable Jeep in decades, at the very least. The Rubicon version of the TJ is the most capable TJ version, and it is one of the most capable Jeeps ever (in large part because it comes stock with lockers front and rear). But the Rubicon is expensive, and you can modify a standard TJ to outperform a Rubicon if you know what you are doing.

You also want to know where else to look. I don't know much about the offroading in your area, but here in the SouthWest, on our tight, rocky mining trails, the capable vehicles tend to be the smaller ones. Jeep CJs, Wranglers, Cherokees, short wheelbase Toyota Landcruisers, and short bed Toyota pick ups with solid front axles (and sometimes bobbed tails). Basically, small vehicles with solid front axles and little rear overhang.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeep Quality = Oxymoron
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
They aren't a Land Cruiser, but hell, who is?

I'm on my second Jeep, a 1997 with an (gasp!) auto tranny. I'm 43 & I **REFUSE** to shift gears in rush hour anymore.

The quality on my '97 is heads above the one I bought new in 1984.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Mom is finally retiring the old 90 Wrangler for a 2001 Blazer in a few days. I had it after I got my license and drove it till i got my z-71 in september. She has had it since 93. Lotsa good times in that thing[:D]. But its getting kinda old and I wish i had more time to work on it, ya know do some mods to it like maybe air lockers and a winch and a suspension lift and 35s, but its kinda impratical for me. I would love to find a 95 wrangler to fool around with, but doubts are out on that one.

In short, I loved my Jeep, it took me wherever I wanted to go with many great stories along the way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have grown up with Jeeps.
My parents had the old Jeep Wagoneers.  We went through 3 of them, a 75, 77, and 82.  They were all good rigs, and got us where we wanted to go during the winters in Eastern Washington.  I put a lift and 33" tires on the old 77 Wagoneer and it is great for the mountains.

My daily driver is a 91 Cherokee that I picked up for $2,000.  It has 218,000 miles on it and still runs great.  Sunroof works, AC blows cold, the only thing not working is the cruise control.  My 4.5" lift just showed up today and I will be spending my weekend putting it on.

My dad has a 98 Wrangler TJ which I got for him back in 1998.  It has been a great Jeep, 67,000 miles on it and no problems at all.  The good thing about the Jeep Wranglers is their simplicity.  You can do a lot with them and mod the hell out of them for very little.

I will always own a Jeep vehicle, the mountains are only 10 minutes away and we use them a lot for recreation, especially in the winter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I drive a 94 Wrangler with a 4.0 and auto tranny daily and I love it. I bouhgt it in '97 with 11k miles on it. It now has 105k and I just put a new engine in it. I didn't have any engine trouble until the PCV system clogged up and blew all the oil out through the air cleaner. I thought about selling it but I went ahead and dropped $3700 for a new motor but it's like a new vehicle now for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#12]
The I6 Jeep engine is the most durable gasoline engine on the market today, IMHO.

My 2000 Jeep TJ has about 30k miles on it and I haven't had a single problem with it, (not that you'd expet to at 30k, but if you listen to some people, like the salesman you know.....) and I'm not just driving it to church on Sundays.

4" lift, 33" BFGs, locker in the front....on the stock axles - I'll upgrade when and if I break 'em.

It's a Jeep, not a car. If you keep that in mind, you'll be very happy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]
What kind of lift did you get Hawkeye?

Did you install it yourself?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Wranglers (Danglers) are widely regarded as crap in stock form in the offroad community unmodified.  You can make them very good but it'd be cheaper to buy a used hummer.

If you HAVE to have a heep, get a TJ with the round headlights. They are very capable out of the box.  

Older heeps like the cj-7 and -5 have more personality and are generally built better than the danglers,  but if you can't swing a Land Cruiser (best choice) then get  the newer TJ.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#18]
We (son and I) have had four Jeeps.  Three of them were CJ-7s and one is a Wrangler.  I guess you'd say I have a little bit of experience with them.

Obviously, we like 'em, and consider ourselves to be [i]Jeepers[/i], but...

IMHO, Jeepers are like Harley owners.  We're loyal to our rides, no matter how much they nickle & dime us - and I hate to admit it, but they do - if you really use them.  Ours are daily drivers, and make the occasional trip out onto the beach for surf fishing.  Other than that, no rough usage.  I'm a GM man for every other vehicle, and can honestly say that our Jeeps have required more work than all other vehicles I've ever owned (I'm over 40) combined.  

We still love 'em though. [:)]

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wranglers (Danglers) are widely regarded as crap in stock form in the offroad community unmodified.  You can make them very good but it'd be cheaper to buy a used hummer.
View Quote

After +/- $250 for a RE spacer lift and +/- $100 for the front swaybar quick disconnects, you'll have this. [img]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/353000-353999/353202_8_full.jpg[/img]  
Articulation enough to have the tire touching the underside of the fender.  

From the other side.
[img]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/353000-353999/353202_2_full.jpg[/img]

In the time I've had mine the only things to go wrong were a turn signal buring out, and a wiring connector behind the gauge cluster came loose and caused the gauges to stop working.  Otherwise trouble free.

Jeep, don't leave home without one. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a '91 YJ, and I've owned both an '81 and an '83 CJ5. One thing that I've noticed about the YJs is how much better thought out the design of the soft top is, over the CJ series; mine has so far put up with quite a few HEAVY downpours, and hasn't yet leaked a drop. My CJs leaked like the top was made of chicken wire. I also lifted it about 3 inches, using lift shackles, and add-a-leafs. Doing it this way, I've lost some articulation, but since I don't really need a whole lot of suspension travel for the type of off-roading I do, it suits me fine. Mine has a (yecch!) 4-cylinder engine, but does ok, running 31x10.5 tires; I don't spend a whole lot of time in the hammer lane, but that's ok.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a 2000 Wrangler TJ, 6 cylinder, auto.
I've got a 4" suspension lift and 33" tires.
I still need to get lockers front and rear, lower gears and a winch.
But, even without the "still need to buy" things, I have had a blast with it in the mountains here in CO.
It is a hell of a fun vehicle to own.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For now, I just went with Daystar 1.75 coil spacers. Put it in myself. I MIGHT add a 1 inch body lift with 1 inch motor mounts, if I get to froggy and impatient [;)]
View Quote

Here's a pic of mine with a coil spacer lift and 1" body lift on 31's. [img]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/353000-353999/353202_17_full.jpg[/img]  I did the raised motor mounts as well.  Now I need to get a high clearance transfer case skid to take advantage of the extra room.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you HAVE to have a heep, get a TJ with the round headlights. They are very capable out of the box.  

Older heeps like the cj-7 and -5 have more personality and are generally built better than the danglers,  but if you can't swing a Land Cruiser (best choice) then get  the newer TJ.
View Quote

Who in the "offroad community" rides around in stock vehicles?

With that in mind, you have to realize that Jeeps are very easy and relatively inexpensive to modify heavily. That's why they're so popular, and that's also why you rarely see Hummers and Rovers/Cruisers out on the trails.

I've never actually seen, in person, a Cruiser or Hummer that's as capable as my Jeep, which only has about $3k of mods. Not because they aren't (or can't be made) capable, but because it's cost prohibitive to do so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Five0,

I'm lookin for a Wrangler as well- preferably a YJ. I've done some research and talked to a few owners and nobody seems to have any serious complaints. I've never heard of anybody having tranny problems: maybe the guys you've talked to have been the unlucky few to get the runts of the pack- then again, maybe I haven't talked to enough people. So I guess the verdict is still out.......
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of lift did you get Hawkeye?

Did you install it yourself?
View Quote

For now, I just went with Daystar 1.75 coil spacers. Put it in myself. I MIGHT add a 1 inch body lift with 1 inch motor mounts, if I get to froggy and impatient [;)]. I am going to start saving so that when my 31 BFG MT's wear out, I can upgrade to a full 3.5 susp system and 33's. That will put me right where I want to be.

I must say, working on the Jeep's susp is a DREAM compared to working on some of my older trucks.
View Quote

Sounds like it's gonna be niiiiiccceee. Post a pic if you get the chance, Hawkeye. I love lookin at Jeeps.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#26]

While we're on the Jeep subject here, could any of you tell me what "lockers" and the "Dana 44" is? I'm a newbie with the Jeep lingo.

Thanks alot
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a 1994 wrangler and burned out the trany, and clutch. But this was after some serious beatings on the tank trails of Ft Bragg. I drove it hard for 5 years, that, and a water pump went on me are the only problems I every had. The water pump I did myself. Thats not too bad. I've considered selling my truck and getting a 2003. Once you have one, theyre hard to get rid of. And if you do get rid of it, youll think about getting another every time you see somebody else in one. Just reading this thread is giving me the Jeep jones again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#29]
[url]http://www.offroaders.com/album/clearfield/clear-06012k1/[/url]

Check out the pics in here.....there is a Tracker in there kicking some ass....
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#30]
94 Jeep wrangler w/4.0, 5spd, 3.55 rear axle here. So far I have busted;
1 rear axle.
1 ring and pinion set including yoke.
2 transfer case tailpiece castings.
1 transfer case 2-4 wheel drive shift fork.
umm... maybe a few other things too. But in all fairness I have to admit it was all my fault. I used to get my kicks drag racing 5.0 mustangs and rolling 31-10.50s from a standing start is murder on a drive train.
However, the jeep corp service is incompetent. The front axle vacuum disconnect is a driveline part and no amount of arguing could convince the asswipes is wasn't a stuck 4wd indicator switch that went bad. Oh well, I fixed it myself and will never buy another hitler-daimler-chrysler-jeep again all because such incredibly poor service departments.
BTW, Jeep is not affiliated with the better business bureau. They have their own customr bitch department. Of course all they do is rubber stamp what the moronic dealers give them.
Screw Herr Daimler just for his service dept.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I've owned a 1993 YJ Wrangler, 1985 CJ, and now have a 1998 TJ Wrangler. The 93 was problem free, the 85 was problem free, and the 98 is another story. So far, 2 front pinion seals over 2 years, one rear main seal, one radiator, and one right rear axle seal. In all fairness, I did tow around a couple boats that were at the max capacity rating. Gas mileage is around 13 miles to the gallon.I still love my little beotch though. Never left me stranded.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I've owned three jeeps.  All were AMC and prior.  Needless to say they all sucked as far as relaibility went.  They had tons of personality.  Similar to harleys or jaguars.  Would I buy another?  MAybe a TJ if I neede a short WB, but not likely. I'd proabbly build a late 70s TLC or even an early '90s D-90. In summary, you can get a lot more vehicle for less money. You just got to learn to cut through the crap.  ZT

2001 Trooper w/ARB bull bar, Warn m8000, OME springs, Rancho RS9000s, 33" ATs, TOR sliders, CALMINI sways, 4.30 axles (stock), modified D-60 rear axle (stock), soon to be locked front, tied w/ Toy in relaibility honors!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#33]
1985 CJ7
1991 Commanche (I4)
1994 Cherokee (I4)
1997 Cherokee (I6)
1999 Wrangler (I6)
2001 Wranger (I6)

No major problems with any of them. Sometimes I wonder what the heck you guys with all the problems are doing wrong...or what the hell am I doing RIGHT? That's 6 Jeeps since 1985 and the biggest problem I've had with any of them was a waterpump in the '94 Cherokee. Currently we are looking at a new Rubicon...I will ALWAYS own a Jeep.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#34]
DAMN! Thanks guys! A lot here to digest. I am certainly in the market!

Thanks much!

I wanted to ask about reasonable pricing but I got a bit tied up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#35]

'preciate the info, Hawkeye
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a 94 CJ.

I found it was best for getting me LAID.  Chicks really check out a guy in a Jeep.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top